Shuttle Discovery Fly-By

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by meyerweb, Apr 17, 2012.

1. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Over Arlington, Virginia, just outside of Washington, DC, about 30 minutes ago. Shot with a GH2 and 14-140, processed in LR 3.6. (Haven't upgraded my work PC to LR4, yet. So I'll see if I can get better results out of LR4 tonight.)

Discovery%2520Fly-By%25202.

Discovery%2520Fly-By.

• Like Like x 19
  2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Landing that must be a b*tch.

I find it interesting that they capped off the thruster exhausts on the back of the Discovery. I guess they're trying to aerodynamically funnel the air back down onto the 747's tail and rudder.

Let's just hope no one pulls a Moonraker... ;)

3. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I have a similar picture from the early 1980s, when they were flying the Enterprise into Dulles. Wonder where those negatives are...

4. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    blur, you're correct. The shroud on the rear is for aero while docked. No moonraker today; the engines were removed before sending it to the Smithsonian.

I wonder how much it affects landing. I've read that the weight of the shuttle, even with engines, is less than the capacity of the cargo version of the 747.

5. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    At first I thought that was the passenger version of the 747, and my first thought was "damn... we North Americans must be FAAAAAAAAAAT!". :rofl:

I'm guessing they don't fly/land that on really windy days. I can imagine a cross wind making that really difficult to keep straight on landing.

Pretty sweet that you got it though. How far off the ground was it for these shots?

Discovery needs to discover a car (plane?) wash...

6. justin4192

justin4192 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Fairfax, VA, USA
    Very nice photo. I work right down the road from Dulles and got to see it fly by from our roof top. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera to work!

7. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    blur, NASA said they were going to be at or below 1500 feet, but I think it was actually quite a bit lower than that. On the basis that a 10 story building is about 100 feet, I'd guess closer to 500-700 feet. Then again, I've got no experience so I could be totally off.

And apparently the Smithsonian wants to display it in the condition it was in when it completed it's last mission, so no trip through the airplane wash.

It's going to be on display at the Air & Space museum annex next to Dulles Airport starting on Thursday, April 19th.

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Awesome. Very cool.

9. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Poor thing looks pretty beat up! Enjoy retirement, Discovery!

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Heard this on the news on the way into work and wondered if I would see any images pop up here or on Flickr. Nice captures!

11. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    excellent!!

12. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    Fantastic. Great shots. You captured a piece of history, and with a U4/3's at that. Were you waiting for them to fly by?

13. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Yes. My office is just about a mile from the Potomac River, and a couple of miles from Reagan National Airport. I knew they were planning a flyover above the airport, and coming down the river is the logical path. So I went to the top of the parking deck behind my building and waited.