1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Shutter stuck on EM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ashburtononline, May 17, 2016.

1. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Shooting theatre tonight with EM-1 and after the first dozen shots the shutter stuck. Removed batteries etc and all I could see with the lens removed was the shutter metal curtain. A few taps on the underneath and it rectified itself. Was totally fine afterwards.

Anyone else ever had this happen ?

2. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    I haven't had that happen but I have had it lock up and will not fire or focus. Turning it off and removing the lens then reattaching it has always done the trick. It's very annoying when it happens but I have read several accounts of others who have experienced this.
    I hope you don't have it happen again :)

3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Something very similar happened to my E-PM1, but it seems stuck and gone ever since - will actually try your cure ...

M.

4. ashburtononline

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    from Olympus repair NZ ...

Does not sound good.
    Olympus have just sent us some new modified shutters for EM-1 ( just arrived this morning ).
    So you have two options,
    Keep using the camera and if it happens again send it to us.
    Send it now and we will fit the new version shutter for you.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    happened on my E-P5 when I was testing the new M.Zuiko 7-14mm f2.8 in store. Suddenly the camera was stuck....
    It did regain operation after a few giggles/battery removal etc. but I was not impressed with the lens and blamed a possible early firmware on the 7-14mm to have caused that. Fine ever since (apart from wheels not responding and repaired under warranty)

Out of curiosity: how old is your E-M1 as I have one and want to know if it's something to look out for. Where is your Olympus service centre: NZ or OZ?

6. ashburtononline

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    EM1 is 18 months old with 35,000 actuations. Service in here in NZ and they are superb. I'll get it back in 72 hours.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Interesting, I'm at just under 18k. I believe they are rated to way way more than that...

8. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I'll be d*mned - just gave the "dead" E-PM1 a hearty rap on the bottom - and it's working again, shutter's live again. I feel - well, mostly stupid, but also quite exhilerated :)

M.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The things you learn on this forum :)

10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Did they happen to elaborate on what were the new modifications to the new version?

--Ken

11. ashburtononline

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    No Ken .... just what their email said but I'll call the Tech before I send it in for more info.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. ashburtononline

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    I wouldn't feel stupid! Nobody likes hitting cameras :) Glad its working again.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1