Shutter Speed Project

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by cmercer, Mar 14, 2011.

1. cmercer

cmercer Mu-43 Regular

I'm currently doing photography level 2 at college in Kendal, my m43's camera is an EPL-1 which is awesome as everyone else on my course has Nikons and Canons :rofl:

I also have an OM2 although I'm still getting to grips with it. I did however buy an adapter which is on its way so that the OM lenses will fit the PEN :D

Anyway, my current assignment is one on shutter speeds. Basically the final result is one picture at fast shutter speed and another at slow.

I took this tonight and I think i'll be using it as my final piece. I'm happy with it (especially as a few weeks ago I didn't dare go past automatic mode)

This was shot on shutter priority at 60 seconds :eek:

I hope you guys like it, i'm still learning =)

<a href="" title="slowshutterexp by chrismercer84, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="312" alt="slowshutterexp" /></a>
    • Like Like x 5
  2. cmercer

cmercer Mu-43 Regular

and im totally open to constructive feedback ^ :biggrin:
  3. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    Considering what your subject matter is, I think you hit this one right on the head. Color is good, good diagonal lines, background is even, and the noise is under control. Not bad at all.
  4. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    I might have dialled back the orange so that the the sodium lights were less distracting ... but otherwise a lovely smooth sweep to the light trails.
  5. banana101

banana101 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 5, 2011
    I really like it! I've been trying to play around with shutter speed on my new camera and I think cars would be a good subject to focus on! The colours on it are good too :)
  6. cmercer

cmercer Mu-43 Regular

thankyou! It means allot to me that your feedback is positive! I felt there was some noise in the sky although it could be my monitor.

Thanks again! =)
  7. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Artistic feedback: I like the composition, and the fact that the image transcends the subject. It is not about cars, it is about lines drawn by cars. On the other hand, this is a rather 'safe' choice for a long shutter speed assignment.

Technical feedback: why did you put the camera on shutter priority (and not manual) and why 60 seconds? Did you make a deliberate choice to underexpose the background? The dark background adds to the artistic effect, but is this the result of chance (recognizing a good image) or choice (creating a good image)?

If you didn't dare to go past automatic a few weeks ago, you progressed significantly :thumbup: keep on going.
  8. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Who cares? It is not relevant for the image and means nothing for your photographic skills. Try adding a lot of noise, maybe the image becomes stronger...
  9. cmercer

cmercer Mu-43 Regular

The reason for shutter priority was because we were going through typical camera settings. I want to show that i have learn to use each setting before going fully manual for my final assignment.

It was partially chance I suppose, I started a 2 seconds, then 15 seconds, then 30 and finally 60. I am aware I can hold the shutter open manually for longer but 60 seconds felt like a long time hehe

Noise bugs me, i like things to be clean and clear I guess?

Thankyou Conrad :)
  10. cmercer

cmercer Mu-43 Regular

Tomorrow I'm going to try and take a few using fast shutter speeds.

I took a few of a fast flowing river but when I got the college it seemed that everyone had done just about the same sort of things.

So I changed my mind, I'd like to get a car exhaust with a huge flame spitting out the rear.

I have no idea what sort of location/time of day/camera settings to do this though.

I think it'll be trial and error. F8 @ 1/500 perhaps?
  11. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Funny. I would have thought the river might have been a candidate to the slow shutter speed picture instead... with a couple ND filters, the effect can be quite dramatic.

For fast shutter speed, I have a friend who do macro shots of falling water drops (from a faucet into a sink). The 'frozen' splash is very graphic, but you need some equipment for this (or a modicum of luck).

12. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    That image is fantastic. I'm not sure it could be improved, to be honest - just made different.

I was born in Kendal. (-:
  13. cmercer

cmercer Mu-43 Regular

Sorry, i meant slow.

Being new, I still get confused with what I am saying :D

I have ordered an ND filter though and I am looking forward to the results.
  14. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Nice shot, thank you! You've given me some ideas on what to do over the weekend... :biggrin: