1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Shutter shock on E-P5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Jan 18, 2014.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    In a moment of weakness at the B&H store in NYC, I picked up an E-P5. The rationale is to replace my E-PL5 with something that has better controls and IBIS. Now, I'd forgotten at the point of purchase about the reports of image blur in the 1/100th to 1/250th sec range due to shutter shock. So, I've been manically looking for it, but all I'm getting is nice, sharp images! I'm not complaining of course, but I'd be interested in hearing from other owners if they have experienced issues - maybe in particular shooting scenarios?

In fact, a complaint I had about the E-PL5 is that sometimes the IBIS (I think) would give double-ghost type blurring which I'm yet to see on the E-P5 (but I've not used it extensively yet).

2. boostin

boostin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    All you have to do is set to 1/8 sec anti-shock and you be fine.

3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Search and ye shall find - https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=54504 :biggrin:

4. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    No issues with mine

I have been using my E-P5 for seceral months and have had no problems. Enjoy your new camera!
    Dan

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Since I got mine last June I've never seen it, so just relax and enjoy.

6. From the test that Hasse (RnR) linked above I was pretty satisfied that my E-P5 was no more prone to shutter shock than anything else, however the IBIS in mine has packed it in so it's going in for warranty next week.

7. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    I've experienced shutter-shock with the E-P5. It doesn't always occur, but when it does it's usually surprising to see it. Most often seems to happen in my case with exposures between 1/30 and 1/60 sec, but sometimes at other speeds where you'd expect IBIS to be 100% effective. It's not a serious deal-breaker for me. Even on the OM-D cameras, IBIS is amazing, but honestly not always 100% effective. It's still better than no IBIS at all.

8. Spotfromoz

Spotfromoz New to Mu-43

Feb 10, 2013
    Australia
    I think Ibis has become so good that we think it is infallible. Sometimes it will fail us but most times we get fantastic photos from these wonderful cameras. Enjoy shooting with your new camera.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Ah yes, thanks. I knew about that thread (I even posted in it!!! - duh).

Good to know that most people aren't seeing any major issues, and that certainly matches my experiences so far. I must say, it's a really great camera. Usability is great - so much better than my E-PL5 and, TBH, better than the E-M5 too.

10. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Nic - I'm curious about the long-term reliability of the IBIS. Intuitively I can see that as an electro-mechanical part it'll have issues at some point (like shutters). How did yours fail? - is it just dead (not effective) but the camera otherwise usable?, or is it "twitching" so stopping you taking shots?

11. I've aware that something has been wrong for almost a month now since I took the camera out after dark just before Christmas with awful results, but I've been questioning myself, testing it, and then re-testing it, because the camera is doing nothing wrong EXCEPT for not providing sharp images in the zone where the IBIS should be doing it's best work (2-5 stops below the 1/equ. focal length shutter speed). When I first got the E-P5 I did a one-shot comparison with my E-M5 and the PL 25mm at 1/2 second which is shutter speed that was doable but not totally reliable with the E-M5. The result was that the E-P5 image was sharp and the E-M5 wasn't quite, so I know the IBIS was working. Now, I have more chance of getting a sharp image with the IBIS turned off, because I get zero sharp images with the IBIS on at slower shutter speeds. The weird thing that had me questioning whether I had a setting wrong or something is that when I turn the "Half Way Rls With IS" menu setting on the image in the rear screen or viewfinder IS stabilised, but something is obviously going wrong during the shutter release.

There's no twitching or anything of the sensor because at normal shutter speeds it is perfectly fine. For example, this was an image from about two weeks ago taken at 1/640 second.

11902951184_a564f074bb_b.
    OEP5-P1050364-PR Olympus Pen E-P5 Brisbane Australia by Nic (Luckypenguin), on Flickr

OEP5-P1050364-CROP_zps0bfe3ca8.

12. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hmm, interesting. I'd really like to understand more about how the IBIS works. I'm aware that the sensor is floating in some sort of magnetic field, but what moves the sensor I don't know - maybe some sort of electro-magnetic effect from coils mounted around it? Whatever, it's odd that it's working enough for high shutter speeds but making things worse for lower speeds. Maybe the control circuits or the stabilising gyro (which I assume it must have) aren't working as they should.

In any case, are you planning to send it for repair?

13. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I think its a case of the IBIS being optimised for the frequencies of the hands, rather than the frequency of a slow moving shutter.

14. I sent it in for repair last week an got it back today. This is how I described the fault:

I believe that the image stabilisation unit in this camera is faulty. The stabiliser sounds like it is working and when the “Gears C, Half Way Rls With IS” menu option is set to on the live view image does appear to be stabilised, but it doesn’t seem to work properly during the shutter release. At lower shutter speeds I have more chance of getting a sharp image with the IS turned off than when it is turned on. In comparison the similar 5-axis IS in my OM-D E-M5 works incredibly well. I usually have the IS mode set to S-IS 1 (Auto) but have also tried using the other IS modes as well as setting “Half Way Rls With IS” both on and off.

They didn't replace anything but did re-calibrate it (not quite sure what that involves) and the end result is that now I can get a sharp image at low shutter speeds with the IS turned on, but it still doesn't appear to be as unerringly effective as the E-M5 when the two cameras are used in the same manner with the same lens.

In the service report they wrote that they compared it with an E-M5 and an E-M1 and the results were "very close", and some joker added "Recommend to hold camera the same way as an SLR" despite the bolded text in my description of the fault above. Well, at least it now works reasonably well instead of not at all.

15. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    In those famous words from a great scholar "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

My point simply is that like any electronic, the more complicated they get the more things break or wear out. Just about everything that goes into making digital cameras these days is a miracle, thinking ahead from now you might think "wow it can't get any better". However it usually does in one way or another, I would have never though back in the 90's when I was using my dad's aged Minolta SRT-101 that I would ever be able to afford a digital camera. I didn't not even conceive that it would be possible for the public to have a camera with a digital sensor that moved to compensate for hand shake for under $1000. But here we are and I must say that since buying my E P5 is has performed wonderfully. I did do some informal tests at shutter speeds from 1/40 to 1/160s and could not get the double line effect that was reported by dpreview. I have had some pictures that might be considered soft but that's only from hand holding at shutter speeds I would never think of doing without a tripod previously.

Given that statement I'm sure that at some point I will need to send my E P5 in for servicing because like any other tool it will eventually wear out. Luckily Olympus seems to have a good warranty policy so I'm confident that if I do have a problem they will take care of it. So far my experience with the E P5 is that it performs as good or better for me than the E M5, I enjoy the 1/8000s and slightly better AutoWB handling (perhaps my E M5 was defective) :tongue:

16. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I think I've identified some minor issues with shutter shock. I find it's somewhat dependent on the lens fitted as well as the shutter speed. I find the only lens that it's easily observable with is the 45/1.8 and then only at around 1/250th sec. It's minor though and doesn't happen all the time. Using the 1/8th sec delay seems to stop it entirely. Slightly annoying, but there it is - perfection denied!