shutter life

wzfoto

Mu-43 Regular
Is the shutter life expectancy for the gf series (in particular gf2 and gf3) published anywhere?

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
I don't think so but here in this forum we have got a page some time ago of discussing our shutter counts, I'm now getting close to 8k, and I don't think there'll be anything wrong before 25k.

still no reports on m43 shutter death yet imo.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Is the shutter life expectancy for the gf series (in particular gf2 and gf3) published anywhere?

Panasonic hasn't published any official numbers. That said, the vast majority of people replace their cameras long before the shutter becomes an issue. Unless you're planning on putting huge numbers of actuations on the camera (more than 100k), I wouldn't worry.

DH

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
It probably matters most to people shopping for used equipment. I'll use the car analogy, if we expect 100,000 miles as the typical life and a used car has 12,000 on it we're happy to pay more for it, 85,000 not so much. If you don't know what to expect from a camera you don't know how to peg the current value. Is a camera with 8K clicks on it still going strong, or almost dead?

wzfoto

Mu-43 Regular
I am thinking about using it for some time lapse videos, which is why I am curious about the shutter life.

pheaukus

Mu-43 Regular
I am thinking about using it for some time lapse videos, which is why I am curious about the shutter life.

At 25FPS, for half an hour of time-lapse video, you will have made 45000 shots. So, per half hour of time-lapse video you may need a new camera.

My advice: buy an used Canon compact and install CHDK to create a super-configurable semi-disposable time-lapse device.

troll

Mu-43 Veteran
At 25FPS, for half an hour of time-lapse video, you will have made 45000 shots. So, per half hour of time-lapse video you may need a new camera.
Time-lapse aren't shot at 25 fps, it's usually one shot in a second at most, and in majority of cases even less often, like one shot in a minute. Not to mention that there are no affordable still cameras out there that can shoot 25 frames per second.

pheaukus

Mu-43 Regular
Time-lapse aren't shot at 25 fps, it's usually one shot in a second at most, and in majority of cases even less often, like one shot in a minute. Not to mention that there are no affordable still cameras out there that can shoot 25 frames per second.

I mean FPS in the resulting video. For fluent video you need 25FPS. For half an hour of fluent video you need that many shots.

Even if we intend to produce just 1 minute of video at 5 FPS we need 300 frames. That already is in the order of magnitude of 1% of shutter life expectancy.

/ And we're not even talking HDR time-lapse
// If your camera body cost 400 bucks, each still shot costs one cent. That's a quarter per second of 25FPS time-lapse video.

micz87

Mu-43 Regular
I think it will be about 100k as this is ordinary number nowdays. I think that shuttercount is not a problem - faster You will change camera than see Your shutter death ;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom