1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shutter Life Expectancy - Pen Series -

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SiamK, Mar 2, 2015.

1. SiamK

SiamK Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2014
    Thailand
    Knott
    Hi all,

I was just wondering if there is a published article about the Olympus's Shutter Life Expectancy, especially for pen series? I never took an effort to check my E-PL5 until recently and to my surprise, my shutter count is at 43,000!

I have the camera since it was launch back in 2012 and everything is still working fine and I never have to take it to the Olympus Support Center for repairs. But still, I would like to know how much more can my camera take before I need to upgrade. So I can start saving up! :)

Cheers!

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I would imagine it's the same as the E-M5 at 100k, the E-M1 is rated for 150k however it has the faster 1/8000th mechanical shutter.

If you're happy with the E-PL5 I suspect you can get another in good condition for less than a newer model if and when it does fail, remembering that the rated life is sort of a median value - you can have early life failures and cameras that go two or three times the rated lifespan.

I have several Pen F film cameras which have had a hard life and are still kicking all these years later (accurate shutter speeds, despite never being serviced and being completely mechanical), the only camera to have worn out it's shutter was an OM1 used with bulk film backs and motor winder... a very extreme case. They're generally designed well and rated with a somewhat pessimistic lifespan.

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Whatever they rate these shutters at, if it goes bad out of warranty, you have to pay to get them fixed. I did anyway,

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They must be pretty well built. I have a Panasonic GX1 that has done over 100K and still kicking.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That's the highest shutter count I've heard from an E-PL5. OTOH, I normally only see shutter counts in the buy&sell forum. You apparently like yours.

6. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    For some reason I recall hearing/reading that the Pen series had shutters rated for 50k cycles, but I can't find anything to corroborate that now. Olympus didn't give shutter life ratings for any m4/3 cameras until the OMD line that I can find...

I had over 35k clicks on my PM1, which was still working great when I sold it. The G5 I sold a while back had close to 20k and never exhibited any issues. My EM5 has 13k yet needs a shutter replacement already...

7. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    I was curious about this too. I asked the Olympus tech support and this was the reply I got:
    Thank you for contacting Olympus Digital Technical Support with your inquiry.

We do not have an exact number for shutter actuations for each model, but for the PEN cameras the estimated shutter actuations is between 50.000 and 100.000.

• Like Like x 3