1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shutter Delay vs. Self-Timer

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dogman, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Some Panasonic cameras (e.g., GX7) has both a shutter delay and a self-timer. Can someone please explain why one would use one over the other? It seems they serve the same function.

2. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    They seem to do things differently, at least. Shutter delay closes the shutter first, and then takes the photo after the set amount of time. Self-timer leaves it on until it takes the photo.

Shutter delay seems to be more flexible with 1sec, 2sec, 4sec, and 8sec options, while self-timer only offers 2sec and 10sec

You can also combine the two for more delay.

3. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Yes, I thank you for your reply. I know what the difference is. I just don't understand under what circumstance someone would choose one over the other.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The shutter delay is to reduce or eliminate vibration, what is commonly called shutter shock.

Fred

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Shutter delay is used primarily for reducing vibration caused by pressing the shutter button and the initial dropping of the shutter from live view to capture mode. The delay mode lowers the shutter ahead of time and initiates capture after a delay. With enough granularity it can also be used for a sort of poor man's manual intervalometer.

Self-timer is really only useful for self-portraits. You get the blinking light on the front telling you when the shutter is going to fire, something you don't get with shutter delay. You also don't get view finder blackout during the timer as the shutter remains up until capture, which can be useful if you have a reversing LCD for positioning yourself for a self-portrait.

6. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Ahh...so I would use shutter delay to reduce vibration. I thought the self-timer would do the same thing. But, after thinking about it, it seems that the shutter delay would reduce more vibration than using a self-timer because the initial "cocking" movement of the shutter is eliminated. Sort of like a DSLR mirror lockup function.