Shutter count

herzzreh

New to Mu-43
I bought a refurb E-P2, would like to know the actual shutter count. Possible?

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This link shows how

This links shows how
Worked for me on the E-PL1 and E-P2
E-PL1 comments

You need to be patient and persistent as some find difficulty in getting it work
It does work rest assured

btw I think the Pens are good for 60,000 shutter actuation's or more

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Procedure

Display True Shot Count

To see the real shot count of the E-PL1 use the method below. The file numbers can be misleading and can be reset so should not be used as a method of determining shot count. This Olympus service menu method is the only way to get the truth. Many numbers seen are not important to us so I only added descriptions for ones that matter and are important and that I could find names for.

► Camera OFF
► Hold down MENU button and turn ON the camera
► Release MENU button and press MENU again to get to Menus
► Go to LCD Brightness Menu, that's in Spanner Menu and third item down.
► Press RIGHT to show screen adjusters
► Press INFO and then press OK and on my E-PL1 this shows on screen....
OLYMPUS E-PL1
04 01 01 01
► Press in sequence UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/SHUTTER/UP and Page 1 info appears
► Variously press RIGHT for Page 2, DOWN for Page 3, LEFT for Page 4 and UP again to get Page 1

What we are looking for is the information on Page 2, on my E-PL1 it shows.....
R 001946 [total shutter actuation count]
S 000047 [shot count with flash]
C 000000
U 000929 [turn on count which is ultrasonic wave cleaner count]
V 000000
B 001915 [seems to be total number of times shutter button is fully pressed for any reason]
L 000000

On Page 4 is D: which is the damage code log, mine shows nothing and that is good.

This is thanks to David Parsons web site

youry

Mu-43 Regular
I think the Pens are good for 60,000 shutter actuation's or more
isn't the shutter count used to determine the life of the mirror mechanism in SLR cameras. as long as the pen doesn't have a mirror is like asking how many shots on a P&S camera. I don't remember Olympus to give a life cycle for any pen. where did you get the 60000 number?

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
isn't the shutter count used to determine the life of the mirror mechanism in SLR cameras. as long as the pen doesn't have a mirror is like asking how many shots on a P&S camera. I don't remember Olympus to give a life cycle for any pen. where did you get the 60000 number?
Just a intelligent guess as the new E-5 is min 150,000
The mirror wont give up first the shutter blinds will

youry

Mu-43 Regular
Just a intelligent guess as the new E-5 is min 150,000
The mirror wont give up first the shutter blinds will
E-5 is a DSLR and that explains the 150k. The PEN has only an exposed sensor and no mirror. It'll go as long as the electronics inside do not fail, which electronics can fail after a few clicks or never.

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
thanks very much Boyzo ... worked first time for me ... I'd seen this other thread from a while ago which gives another method, but the number from that and the number from the method you give don't agree on my camera ... I'm inclined to believe the one given by the "hidden" stats

PS - it seems there are a lot of David Parsons who have websites! -- care to give us the link?

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
E-5 is a DSLR and that explains the 150k. The PEN has only an exposed sensor and no mirror. It'll go as long as the electronics inside do not fail, which electronics can fail after a few clicks or never.
Actually the shutter does have a limited life, also the Pen does twice the cycles per shot compared to a DSLR

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Here is Davids site
E-PL1 comments
And a very nice site

thanks very much Boyzo ... worked first time for me ... I'd seen this other thread from a while ago which gives another method, but the number from that and the number from the method you give don't agree on my camera ... I'm inclined to believe the one given by the "hidden" stats

PS - it seems there are a lot of David Parsons who have websites! -- care to give us the link?

Vivalo

Olympus loser
My seven months old E-P1:

Shutter count: 5169
With flash: 277
Power on count: 983
Shutter button fully pressed: 4611

I suppose those are pretty average numbers. On average I take 25 shots a day, 5 shots when I power on the camera and very rarely use flash or burst mode.

Real Name
Nic
Wow, and I thought the process to get the shutter count on the E-system SLRs was convoluted! Between myself and it's first owner my E-P1 reads 4470 - still just a baby. I wonder what page 4 would show if there was any "damage".

Nehemiah

New to Mu-43
I am buying a used Nikon and I want to know if there's any way of figuring out the shutter count without a computer since I won't be near one?
Also, any general tips and questions I should ask before buying a used camera?
Thanks!

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
I am buying a used Nikon and I want to know if there's any way of figuring out the shutter count without a computer since I won't be near one?
There isn't. Before you go to see it, ask the seller to e-mail a recent photo (unedited JPG). Then feed that through Nikon Shutter Count

Also, any general tips and questions I should ask before buying a used camera?
Thanks!
You might check for dust on the sensor.

DH

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom