shutter count

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by judystowell, Oct 11, 2014.

1. judystowell

judystowell Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Does anyone know how to find the shutter count on an EM1?
    Thaks.

2. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    Turn the camera ON while holding down the MENU button;
    Once the LCD screen lights up, release the MENU button and then press it again briefly;
    Use the arrow pad to move DOWN to the SPANNER item in the menu and press RIGHT;
    Use the arrow pad to move DOWN to the third (BRIGHTNESS) item in the menu and press RIGHT;
    Press INFO;
    Press OK, and a screen showing the camera designation will come up;
    Press arrow pad UP;
    Press arrow pad DOWN;
    Press arrow pad LEFT;
    Press arrow pad RIGHT;
    Press the SHUTTER RELEASE button;
    Press arrow pad UP (a PAGE 1 with some abbreviations and numbers appears);
    Press arrow pad RIGHT to move to PAGE 2;
    Write down the number to the right of "R" on PAGE 2. This is the number of shutter releases (the number to the right of "S" is the number of times the flash has fired);
    Switch the camera off to revert back to normal operating mode. Congratulations, you have successfully retrieved the shutter count information!

• Like Like x 3
  3. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    Cracks me up what you have to go thru to get a shutter count on cameras.. why the heck dont they just put it in the menu, I can almost understand why they may not want you to see error counts etc, but what the heck is the big secret about shutter count, they just add a shutter count in the menu options.. oh well at at least I didn't have to pay for an online shutter reading like I do on my canon..

4. figment

figment Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    Is shutter count important for m43s? Does it show the camera is ending it's life cycle as DSLRs?

5. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    My E-M5 is only three days old at it seems I've already clicked the shutter button about 400 times. So glad we live in a digital world, for both cameras and recording audio!

6. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    well its still a shutter and I believe it has an expected number of life actuations, I believe its 150,000 on the EM1, but I had mine go bad and lock up already on my EM1, but that was like 20 shots after a repair for the EVF blotch thing so I think they broke it during repair..

I like to know how many shots I have taken just for my curiosity, but most important of you were to sell the camera,, when I buy one a used I want to know how many clicks are on the shutter, as do most people

7. TucsonLawrence

TucsonLawrence Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    I recently looked at my SC on my GH3... 40,000 in 11 months...
    ...I need to try harder because I only got about 50 keepers :) #sprayandpray

Lawrence

• Like Like x 2
  8. judystowell

Nov 24, 2013
    Randyspan-I can't get it to work. No matter what I do when I press the menu button I still get the ordinary menus. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong???? (

9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Try the sequence, but skip the step where you press "INFO". ON my EM5 and EPL5, it doesn't work if I press "INFO".

10. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Here are my instructions for the E-M1. I know this works.

- Camera OFF
    - Hold down MENU button and turn ON the camera
    - Release MENU button and press MENU again to get to Menus
    - Go to LCD Brightness Menu, that's in Spanner Menu, third item down.
    - Press RIGHT to show screen adjusters.
    - Press OK and the E-M1 shows:
    -- OLYMPUS E-M1 03 01 01 01
    - Press in sequence UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/SHUTTER/UP and Page 1 info appears
    - Press RIGHT for Page 2, DOWN for Page 3, LEFT for Page 4 and UP again to get Page 1

Page 2 shows:
    R 001613 [total shutter actuation count]
    S 000081 [shot count with flash]
    C 000000
    U 000342 [turn on count which is ultrasonic wave cleaner count]
    V 000000
    B 000489 [seems to be total number of times shutter button is fully pressed for any reason]
    L 000000

On Page 4 is D: damage code log, blank is good.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    sometimes I have to hit OK twice at the end for some reason

• Like Like x 1
  12. judystowell

Nov 24, 2013
    I never even get as far as INFO on the list of instructions - when I turn on the camera, while pressing the MENU button, it looks the same as when I just turn it on normally - all I get is the regular menu - not anything that says SPANNER. (I do let go of MENU after the screen opens, then press it slightly again, as instructed)

13. judystowell

Nov 24, 2013
    That's what I'm not getting - the Spanner Menu - ????

14. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Yes, it looks normal. But it isn't. Trust me, follow my instructions in message 10 above and magically it works.

The spanner is the bottom menu category, the spanner symbol is on the menu below the cogs, at the bottom left. It doesn't say "Spanner" it shows a picture of a spanner!

15. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    In the UK. they call wrenches spanners. In the USA, they call spanners wrenches.
    19445_Wrench.

• Like Like x 1
  16. judystowell

Nov 24, 2013
    Yikes!!! I got it - THANK YOU!!!

17. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    Funny, but I had my shutter replaced a couple months ago, and this thread made me look again, and it appears they reset count but to 12000, I know I havent shot 12000 since I got it back, and pretty sure I have shot over 12000 since getting it but maybe not. wonder if they gave me a used shutter from another camera and set mine to what it was... or they just dont reset shutter count when you get a new one put in.. kind of worthless info if they dont

18. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I followed the instructions given at Biofos.com. Worked a treat.

Andrew