1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shutter button on EM-5 grip died

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by johnvanatta, Jan 19, 2015.

1. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    I've been treating my EM5 as if it was borderline indestructible, but the shutter button on the first half of the battery grip died on me in the middle of a trip. The wheel right below it works fine, as does the shutter button on the main body. So, all was not lost, but it'd be nice if it was fixable, or at least to know what happened.

Any thoughts? Water damage? The day it died I had been in a drippy slot canyon a few hours earlier. But I'd subjected it to much worse water stress in the days prior (lashing rain, salt spray, sink washings etc). Could it be a delayed-action thing, with water seeping slowly through the seals?

Everything looks fine externally, and I don't have a screwdriver to take it apart (looks like a JIT screw?).

Any experience on the matter would be appreciated.

John

2. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Well the water pouring on it should be fine if they do this in their demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHiITExBqwo

However salty air/mist/spray etc can cause corrosion, so usually after such event you would want to rinse it off with clean water (Which may be why you said sink washings). Should not be submerged obviously but spraying on shouldn't be an issue in theory if all the seals are good and the lens itself is also weather sealed.

Also the HLD-6 grip is dust-proof and splash-proof just like the E-M5 body.

Other than a mechanical failure of the shutter button itself, my guess would be to look at the electronic contacts between the grip and the body. If not all the contacts can make a connection it could cause button presses and such not to be received. Meaning while the dial might work, if a specific set of contacts are blocked or corroded over it might not receive the shutter click. So maybe go over all the contacts make sure they're not wet or corroded.

3. johnvanatta

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah, I make an effort to rinse it after salt water contact. The grip contacts all look fine, and there was no sign that water had gotten between the grip and the body.

My best guesses are water got in the seal at the shutter button itself, or a mechanical failure on the button. Both seem rather unlikely though. Or maybe a glitch in the firmware?

4. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Wouldn't hurt to email Olympus about it, least that way it's on record that you have a problem and just await what they say while you're waiting for other options from other members here.

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I know this might seem like a no brainer, but sometimes people forget.....

Did the grip lock lever get switched over by accident?

I noticed on my EM5 grip that I sometimes bump that lever, then I try and shoot in portrait orientation and nothing works from the grip side.

6. johnvanatta

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Nope, I wasn't using that half of the grip, just the first part.

7. chipshot713

chipshot713 Mu-43 All-Pro

May 24, 2012
    Pearland, Texas
    Kelly
    Clean the contacts. I've had similar events and cleaning generaly helped.

8. johnvanatta

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    No luck with cleaning. Anyone taken one of these grips apart before?