1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shutter actuations question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by f8andbethere, Aug 14, 2012.

1. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Mu-43 Regular

I can't seem able to determine the number of shutter actuations on my G3. I have used both Opanda and Irfan view and neither of them show the total pictures. Does the G3 capture that info?

2. f8andbethere

3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I have no doubt that it does, but I can't tell you which software would be required to find out. Finding the service-mode is the only way I've read to find out....but I'll let someone else with more experience to chime in.

4. trstenjak

trstenjak Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2012
    Slovenia
    Tadej Trstenjak
    You don't need any software to display this information for Panasonic G3.
    I found out (in one of the german lumix forums) the right combination of keys to access into camera info menu.

I wrote a little tutorial on my web site: tadejtrstenjak.com

• Like Like x 1
  5. f8andbethere

I read your tutorial, but don't understand what you mean by left key and right key. It would help if I had a couple of extra fingers to accomplish what should be a very simple task.

6. trstenjak

trstenjak Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2012
    Slovenia
    Tadej Trstenjak
    RIGHT key = WB key
    LEFT key = AF MODE key

It is not simple, but it works.

7. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Great info - thanks for this! I always wondered what my actuation count was, and now that I know it's over 19000, I'm a little depressed :rolleyes: Anyone know the life expectancy of the G3's shutter?

8. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Is it the same for the GX1? Or do I have to find a different combination?

9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I tried it last night, wasn't able to get it to work on my GX1. My hands had a hard time pressing the second combination twice though, just too small of keys. I thought I did it right a couple of times but it's hard to say.

10. greenarcher02

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    I wonder. Does anyone know how to determine the number of actuations on the GX1?

11. trstenjak

trstenjak Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2012
    Slovenia
    Tadej Trstenjak
    I believe this combination is only for G3 model. Don+t know how to do it on other models.

Try Google, searching for Panasonic [insert camera model] service menu

12. greenarcher02

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Searching that brought me back here lol! I'll look deeper when I get the time. But I hope someone here already knows how. :2thumbs:

13. kievnut

kievnut New to Mu-43

Aug 24, 2012
    Tha catch is not to set the camera at iA mode!!

14. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    Does anyone know the answer to this? I'd love to know the number of actuations on my GX1.

15. f8andbethere

Personally I think it is "bloody stupid" that the shutter count is not included with the EXIF data. All Nikon and Canon DSLRs, and probably other SLR brands, have this info embedded. Why does Panasonic force to you to become a friggin' contortionist? This info is very important for a variety of reasons not the least of which is when you go to sell the camera. I guess if Panasonic were to build a car they wouldn't have an odometer!

16. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    I've tried the key combos mentioned, here and throughout the interwebs, but I am not able to get this info. Either my fingering sucks or it just doesn't work. So...pretty ****ing please with sugar on top how do you get this information?

17. f8andbethere

Since I couldn't do this with just two hands I held down the Fn2, WB and Fn1 keys while my wife turned on the power switch. At first it just came up as a regular looking screen. Then, within a few seconds, I held down the Fn2 button and straddled one finger over the Menu Set and left AF mode and pressed twice. Like magic the shutter count appeared. If you only press once you get a whole bunch of zeroes.

Attached Files:

18. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Unless I'm a komplete klutz :wink: that doesn't work with the GX1...and a reasonable amount of Googling doesn't turn up any combination that will unlock the service menu in the GX1.

19. f8andbethere

Sorry, can't help you there. I only know about the G3. I reiterate what I said earlier that I think it is really dumb of Panasonic (don't know if Olympus is the same) not to include the shutter actuations in the EXIF data. Maybe those coming from the P&S world don't care because it never was something that mattered. However, to SLR users it is something that we have come to expect. It's one of the first questions that people ask when you are trying to sell your camera.