Shrinking large amount of pictures

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Zeus1, Jun 13, 2015.

1. I am making several (large) photobooks (large meaning about 500 pics per book). This time I am using Fotobuch from Germany; beforehand I used Blurb, but the lay-outs are rather old fashioned and difficult to change.
    In any case, I have to shrink all these pics from each about 15 MB down to 5 MB maximum.
    I'm working under 0SX and could use Photoshop CC, Apple's own Preview, Imagewell, ...but is there a quality difference between the resulting 5 MB photos????

2. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    If you are in Germany try Saal-Digital. I used to use Fotobuch a lot, but the output quality with Saal is much better. They even provide Color Profiles for Proofs in Lightroom. And their software takes full size fotos (even tiffs?). They are slightly more expensive, but really not a lot more and the quality is outstanding.

3. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    In photoshop you could record an Action to resize a photo. Once your Action is recorded go to File>Automate>Batch. You can choose your Resizing Action, select the source folder with the full size images and a destination folder. Set it going and Photoshop will open the large images, resize and save the smaller images to the destination folder.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Yes, but how much difference there is depends on how you do the resampling and/or compression.

5. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I'm not sure if photo books are printed at a different resolution, but the for regular books I publish, the images need to be 300dpi to use at 100% size. However, you can get away with a bit less (or push the pic over 100%) without it being noticeable.

I don't know how what the size of the photobook is, but after a bit of playing about in Photoshop, you could downsize to 20cm on the longer side (15cm shorter side for 4:3) at 300dpi, save as high-quality (12) RGB jpeg, and be safely under 5MB. You could go a bit bigger, but you'd have to do a few trial-and-error experiments to see exactly how big you could go.

6. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    +1

Among the "trial-and-Terror" experiments I suggest that you use Ps's "Save for Web and Devices..." instead of the regular "Save..." function. This saves JPEGs without embedding Ps's proprietary ancillary data (guides, save preferences, ...) and results in significantly smaller JPEGs at the same quality. Also, setting the "Save for Web and Devices..." dialog's metadata field to "copyright only" will reduce the burden of all of the camera data and other metadata that is unnecessary for this use.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Since you have Photoshop, do it the EASY way!

Copy all of the photos you want changed into one folder. Then go to, File, Scripts, Image Processor and put in your criteria, size, compression, change to sRG, etc. and click Run - you'll be done in short order.

• Informative Informative x 1