1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by 350duser, Dec 24, 2014.

1. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    • Like Like x 9
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Please be aware that due to The Shrine of Remembrance Act of 1978 there's a really annoying grey area regarding taking pictures of the shrine, I believe you're free to do so without permission as long as you do not sell them (or if you do, it's as part of a publication promoting the shrine as long as it isn't solely about the shrine... the wording is legalize and I have to admit I just avoid the shrine at all costs).
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/sora1978193/s5.html

Fwiw, Taking pictures of any defence site is also a nono under the defence act, this includes the external walls of Victoria Barracks (think twice if you ever want to take wedding photo near them, you may find all your equipment forfeit and them arresting you :smile:). If in doubt it's generally best to get a permit however it isn't enforced with much zeal or at all due to the proliferation of cameras unless you do something exceptionally dumb... then you only have yourself to blame.
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/da190356/s82.html

Bonus points for getting the Navy gunnery school in frame when doing surf photography at Flinders... it's sort of hard to avoid at times given that it runs all the way along the cliffs above where they're surfing. I've never seen it actually enforced here though(only Victoria Barracks). Then there's all the bull**** regarding train stations... don't get me started on half the crap to do with them... it's all a crock of ****.

You took some really nice shots though, the first is my favorite.

3. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Wow had no idea about this. There is no sign anywhere in the shrine that says this.

Anyway have no intention if selling these.

Thanks for looking n advising.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    They don't advertise it however I am aware of one fine art photographer who used a sample of the shrine in one of his works who was politely told to remove it, I do not know how wide spread it is... just that it does exist.

It's the day and age we live in sadly.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Thanks for the shots. These restrictions would explain why I've never seen this before. It's quite impressive.