1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase: your best effort/results on your cheapest adapted lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gnarlydog australia, Jun 25, 2016.

1. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I will confess: I am a cheapskate.
    I turn my nose up when I see exotic lenses that command a price worthy of a kidney. Sure those lenses most times are sharp (some call it IQ) but often a bit clinical in how they render an image. For too many years I have spent my time producing images that HAD to be sharp, no much bokeh or arty flare: I was shooting architecture, professionally.
    Now that I am free of those-pixel peeping shackles I have embraced the dark side: funky bokeh, heavy vignetting and yes, low contrast and what some might call it "inferior" lens because not as sharp as native PanaLeica or Pro Zuiko.
    So, in my quest to find half decent lenses (that are not of "Holga" standard), offer character and still are reasonably priced, I wanted to try enlarging lenses as well.
    I went crazy and purchased on evilBay a Vivitar-LU 75mm f3.5 for a bank-breaking amount of $5. Heck, that is less than Junior burger in my hood!
    So how good can a $5 lens be? I know there are tales of some crazy deals pulled off from that auction site but this lens is often offered for not much money.
    Well, here is my first shot, today just before the sun went down.

27279130103_f4042743ab_h. Fritz at sunset_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

The bokeh is pleasant, not too much flare coming off the highlights and the shadows aren't washed out. Sharpness is substantially better than some of my Russian glass and vignetting is not noticeable. I missed the focus a bit as his chest is sharper than his eye. Also if at 200 ISO might have been just a fraction less grainy (?)
    I think the lens is not too bad; of course there is no focusing helicoid (I simply mounted it on bellows) but at least has a very smooth aperture with 10 nice round blades, hence the smooth bokeh on the highlights.

I would like now to encourage others to show results from lenses that are inexpensive and surprisingly good. Somehow have this thread like a place where members can come and look for reference if they want to get a bargain.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    Don't forget to Show the gear mounted on your camera along the shot.

Sent from my D5503 using Mu-43 app

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    90% of all my photographs are taken with one adapted lens which just happens to be the most amazing lens I have ever used.

Olympus ZD 150mm ƒ2.0 + EC-20 attached to my Olympus OMD EM1 via the MMF-3 adapter and mounted on a 3D printed skimmer pod.
    26776754723_020c2512aa_h.
    Waiting Game
    by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

Photograph of my setup when I took the above shot
    27086300080_1c83641129_h.
    3D Printed Skimmer Pod in Action

Photograph of camera and approximate location of subject (marked by red arrow)
    27086302180_810e82dba8_h.
    3D Printed Skimmer Pod in Action

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Here is one taken with my other adapted lens (I only have 2 adapted lenses)

Olympus ZD 50-200 SWD + EC-20 attached to my Olympus OMD EM1 via the MMF-3 adapter.
    24395267784_75b62d8002_h.

A photograph of me in action with the lens attached while taking the above photograph
    24398980163_90487e40dd_h.
    Gator Bait 08

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    lovely shots indeed
    But, I have a feeling that lens is not exactly a cheap, or is it?
    I was hoping to make this thread a "cheapskates corner" with surprisingly good results :thumbsup:
    I am sure there are other threads where one can show his/her most expensive and exotic gear and the most amazing images taken with those.
    The gist here is: ghetto but good ;)

6. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Cheap is relative and subjective. The 50-200 can be found for around $300, that is pretty cheap in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    maybe it should be really cheap lenses or under $100

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Kidney's must be expensive in OZ. I had to sell both of mine to get the 300 F/4.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Took me a couple days to remember this shot...
    EA074129-heron ducks sunset (135mm Rokkor stopped down) 16-10 1600px.
    Minolta Rokkor-X MD 135mm f2.8, purchased for $11.99 at a thrift shop.
    SR mount (commonly called MD) adapters are widely available.

There's obviously a lot of CA here (of which type I can't ever remember) (this lens doesn't normally show nearly this much CA)... so I re-processed it in mono with split toning:
    EA074129-heron ducks sunset (135mm Rokkor) Toned 1600px.

Barry

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    bloody brilliant (as they would say in OZ) and with a cheapo lens (you got a bargain tho...).
    Sure CA is there but to a non geeky tech-obsessed person from the public that image just screams feeling (to me).
    Oh, we get so lost in measurements, charts and fault picking that we loose sight of the subject and the vision that really makes stunning images.
    I celebrate the gear that is not prefect, far from it, that pushes me to think differently and embrace those faults to make better images, non ordinary.
    Let's see more of that: brilliance from lenses that the snobs have labelled inferior and that have been shunned by the "authorities" but in the right hands can create images that reek feeling.
    I guess, plain brick walls might be a hard subject to get that feeling :rolleyes:

PS I like both versions as the CA creates a nice "rainbow" effect on the water

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    panorama from a $10 lens: Pentax-110 18mm f2.8 (fixed aperture)

26540802704_0608876bb6_h. Bellevue Tce MAY16_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

close-up with a $20-ish (I forgot what I exactly paid for that) lens designed for 16mm film Kodak (Cine) Ektar 25mm f1.9

26519899234_2eaf676dd1_h. Bubbly bokeh on rainforest flower_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Before the above shot I tried to capture that flower with a native lens (Zuiko) and while the results were indeed way sharper the image was so... vanilla. It was a way better record of the flower for a scientific publication but lacked any visual appeal to me. Of course, I was not photographing to catalog and create reference; I wanted a bit of art...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  13. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Why not just add the desired distortion by post-processing?

Brian

14. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    very valid question and one that asked myself a while ago.
    I set myself the challenge to create just a bit of swirl and distortion from an image taken with the M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8 to mimic my results with the (mildly distorting) Industar-69.
    The image taken with the Zuiko was very sharp but I wanted to create a feeling of speed that I can get with the Industar (swirly background in the bokeh). I tried for a while but no matter what I did and how many layers I futzed around with it just looked like.... an app :eek:. Here is the "fake" image: Yahoo - login
    I hear Instagram is a great place to see a lot of poorly executed "vintage" look pictures. To me most of the "filters" and "apps" look abhorrent when used with senseless abandon to create very fake images. Of course to the simpleton they look stunning :)

I am somehow skilled in post processing but to create that bokeh, those bubbles, that swirl and that depth in the flower image.... well, I challenge anybody to show me how to create that in a few hours of work and make it acceptable/credible. Obviously with my skills I can't :(

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    How do we define cheap? I have several lenses that I paid nothing for, that give me enjoyment.

My family hand-me-downs include:

Super-Takumar 50 1.4 (Wife's grandfather):
    16536657761_922d0f09d2_b.

Vivitar 19 3.8 (Brother):
    20248497936_d8e4c1a7cc_b.

Agfa Color-Telinear 130 4 (Father):
    21424838925_d6faeef638_b.

Or just given to me:

Steinheil München Cassar 75 3.5 (Friend):
    26743529260_d8e4439c3e_b.

• Like Like x 9
  16. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    Very nice pictures, - the Super Takumar has an uncharacteristic 'glow/
    Color Telinear is what mount?

17. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    The Agfa lens mount is specific to the Agfa Ambi Silette rangefinder.

I found that the lens will slip into a Fotasy m42 adapter with the screw-mount ring removed and the screws will tighten down to hold it in place. The registration distance isn't exact, but I am able to get some decent results.
    19068177351_7196a0231c_b.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    You answered my question before I asked it! I have a complete Ambi Silette outfit and I was wondering how I might adapt the lenses - though it is a project on the backburner at the moment. Thanks!

19. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    You have an actual Ambi Silette, not a regular Agfa Silette camera?

The Ambi Silette seems to be a pretty rare camera. I would love to see some images of yours, especially if you have all the lenses - 35 f4, 50 f2.8, 90 f4, 130 f4.

I only have the 50 2.8 and the 130 4. The 50 will not work in the m42 adapter, the way it is constructed keeps it from mounting and focusing like the 130.

• Like Like x 1
  20. greenjp

greenjp Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2014
    Maryland
    Cross posting from the lens thread, here's one I took with a Konica Hexanon 135 3.2. I paid ~$35 total for the lens on ebay and adapter from Amazon. The lens is in outstanding condition and the adapter (Fotasay brand) works just fine. I have not had it for long so am just starting to use it, but thought this one turned out pretty neat for what was a candid shot.
    27168906415_5982ffe943_b. P1170925_DxO by Jeff Green, on Flickr

And here's the lens on my GX7:
    27103404635_bba11fc278_b. IMG_0093_DxO by Jeff Green, on Flickr

jeff

• Like Like x 7