Show your Old Cameras

Ben Casper

Mu-43 Veteran
Not as old as some others posted, nevertheless an early one and still going strong.
FE202C9E-349F-4E33-BFE4-A1F5E8E5A40B.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
My brand new old camera -
94D11726-76CA-47F2-BB1B-A9F4CE28EAAD.jpeg

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Ricoh-on Ricoh pair. The XR 70-150/4 is quite excellent
ricoh-r.jpg
!

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Or perhaps you meant old cameras?
DSC02737.JPG

docfox

Mu-43 Veteran
Love those knife-carrying, left-handed SLRs!
bottom LoRes.jpg

open LoRes.jpg

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Achtung! Hier gibts schöne Sache zu sehen!

P6050049-01.jpeg

P6050047-01.jpeg

Exakta Varex IIb

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
20200219_222748-01.jpeg
_2231850-01.jpeg
20200219_222353-01.jpeg

docfox

Mu-43 Veteran
Kodak's ugly duckling, the Kodak 35 Rangefinder introduced in 1940 to replace the Kodak 35 (without the un-coupled rangefinder) of 1938. This fixed lens camera had a bakelite body with metal trim. It was designed to compete with the Argus cameras of similar construction and cost $48 in 1940. Four different variations identifiable by lens and shutter combination were made up until 1951. (Note the RA lens date code on this lens says 1952!)
>>> click here to read the manual <<<
front.jpg

top.jpg

bottom.jpg

Open.jpg

right.jpg

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
EXA, the peace-mongering younger sibling of the Exakta: No built-in film-slasher!​

FV5_0623-01.jpeg

FV5_0624-01.jpeg

FV5_0625-01.jpeg

FV5_0626-01.jpeg

FV5_0627-01.jpeg

EXA IIa with Tele-Ennalyt f:2.8/135 mm
EXA IIb
with Domiplan f:2.8/50 mm

Last edited:

docfox

Mu-43 Veteran
In 1945 Universal Camera Company introduced the Mercury II (CX) to replace its prewar Mercury, a leather covered cast aluminum half-frame camera featuring a rotary shutter (T, B, 1/20 to 1/1000). The post-war Mercury II was slightly larger, was cast from an (easily dulled) aluminum/magnesium alloy and covered with a synthetic leather. Most importantly, it used standard Eastman 35 mm cartridges instead of the Univex #200 of its predecessor (and thus had a rewind knob).

Mercury 1 LoRes.jpg

Mercury 2 LoRes.jpg

Mercury 3 LoRes.jpg

Mercury 4 LoRes.jpg

Mercury 5 LoRes.jpg

Mercury 6 LoRes.jpg

Mercury 7 LoRes.jpg

Last edited:

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
In 1945 Universal Camera Company introduced the Mercury II (CX) to replace its prewar Mercury, a leather covered cast aluminum half-frame camera featuring a rotary shutter (T, B, 1/20 to 1/1000). The post-war Mercury II was slightly larger, was cast from an (easily dulled) aluminum/magnesium alloy and covered with a synthetic leather. Most importantly, it used standard Eastman 35 mm cartridges instead of the Univex #200 of its predecessor (and thus had a rewind knob).
View attachment 844640
View attachment 844641
View attachment 844642
View attachment 844643
View attachment 844644
View attachment 844645
View attachment 844646

Capable of decent pics if you can nail focus.

docfox

Mu-43 Veteran
Ansco imported cameras built by Agfa in Germany and sold them in the USA. The simple folding lens (fixed) 35 mm viewfinder only Regent was sold here circa 1953 to 1960. In Europe, Agfa sold the same camera as its Solinette II. A companion rangefinder model was sold as the Ansco Super Regent and in Europe as the Agfa Super Solinette. Rigid lens versions were sold as the Ansco Memar and Super Memar.

The Regent had a three element Agfa Apotar lens in a Prontor-SV shutter (1s to 1/300) with X and M class flash synchronization. The lens was surrounded by a ridged focusing ring and had a zone-focus scale on its barrel. The film transport was via the right-hand knob and the shutter had to be manually cocked before you could advance to the next frame. Number 5 filters (in an adaptor ring) could be used, but had to be removed to fold the lens standard.

front open LoRes.jpg

opening LoRes.jpg

back opened LoRes.jpg

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
View attachment 844640
View attachment 844641
View attachment 844642
View attachment 844643
View attachment 844644
View attachment 844645
View attachment 844646
This is just so weird and wonderful!
Do you have any other lenses for it?

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
No. This was a fixed lens camera. I think there may have been some lens variations available, but the (zone focussed) lens was not (intentionally) interchangeable.
Oh, well. Obviously, I was misinformed...
Or misinterpreting available information.

Available Lenses:
Tricor f:2.7/35 mm (coated)
Tricor f:3.5/35 mm (non coated)
Hexar f:2.0/? mm (looks like 35 mm according to my read of the manual)
>>>A pre-Konica Hexar!<<<
others: 75mm, 125mm
(http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Mercury)

Last edited:

docfox

Mu-43 Veteran
Erich_H - You are correct about the lens being interchangeable; I've owned this old camera for years and never realized it had interchangeable lenses. Mine is fitted with the 35 mm f/2.7 Tricor and it does unscrew just as the >>> manual <<< I just found and read describes! This publication also mentions a telescopic viewfinder that can fit on the second accessory shoe near the normal viewfinder. They also offered an extinction-type exposure meter to fit in this shoe! The central accessory shoe was a "hot shoe" with flash synch contact of which they were very proud.

One thing puzzles me, however. The lens unscrews from the focussing thread mount with its engraved zone focus distance chart. This implies the same rotational focus position (and lens mount to film plane) versus subject distance would be the same for 35, 75 and 125 mm lenses. I don't think this would work! The focus scale appears to be retained by three small flat head screws, but I doubt the maker would want a user changing the plate with a lens swap and there is no mention of such in these instructions.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Erich_H - You are correct about the lens being interchangeable; I've owned this old camera for years and never realized it had interchangeable lenses. Mine is fitted with the 35 mm f/2.7 Tricor and it does unscrew just as the >>> manual <<< I just found and read describes! This publication also mentions a telescopic viewfinder that can fit on the second accessory shoe near the normal viewfinder. They also offered an extinction-type exposure meter to fit in this shoe! The central accessory shoe was a "hot shoe" with flash synch contact of which they were very proud.

One thing puzzles me, however. The lens unscrews from the focussing thread mount with its engraved zone focus distance chart. This implies the same rotational focus position (and lens mount to film plane) versus subject distance would be the same for 35, 75 and 125 mm lenses. I don't think this would work! The focus scale appears to be retained by three small flat head screws, but I doubt the maker would want a user changing the plate with a lens swap and there is no mention of such in these instructions.
As I said: This is just so weird and wonderful!

And pretty big words in the manual, about the American leadership of the photographic world before WW II.

I'm thinking that some Germans would have had other opinions ?

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik

I'm also thinking that the "interchangeable lens" might just be the front element, just like on my Contaflex Beta?

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/what-photography-related-item-did-you-buy-this-week.51684/post-1409430

When I read the manual real quick, I must admit that I didn't see any information about unmounting the lens. There's only the mentioning of "interchangeable lens" that I could see.

I then downloaded some period photography catalogues (Central Camera / Peerless / Montgomery Ward / Sears). Couldn't find any price for the 75/125 lenses. The camera was quoted with prices for the three different standard lenses (3.5/2.7/2.0) in one of the above. Can't remember which.

And I also found that Sears sold the Asahiflex as Tower 23/24 in 1956. My Asahiflex (Tower 24) with the f:2.4/58 mm was $98.50!

I love the old catalogues!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom