Show Your Bridges

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I've often thought about taking a night picture of the bridge from that area, but as you say, it doesn't look like the safest places to be walking around in the dark. Were the bridge lights on Brian?
No lights I'm afraid, and I don't think I've ever seen it lit up.

To be honest, it was a perfectly safe area. There was one well-dressed gent just chilling out enjoying the view, a couple of pro photographers and then quite a few joggers and walkers crossing the river bridge behind the Create centre.
I'd certainly be happy to revisit.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Visiting my in-laws!
Well, I knew you wouldn't choose to go there on holiday. :D
I've still got family there and try and visit once a year.
I'm hoping to get onto the bridge (now called Jubilee bridge) now it has reopened after renovation.

StM26

Mu-43 Rookie
Well, I knew you wouldn't choose to go there on holiday. :D
I've still got family there and try and visit once a year.
I'm hoping to get onto the bridge (now called Jubilee bridge) now it has reopened after renovation.
Ha!
Re the bridge, it's certainly nicer to drive across now it's a single lane each way.
I didn't manage to get a decent pic of the new bridge, but it's impressive too.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I've been over the new one once and it does look impressive from a distance.
I'm not sure what your welcome to Runcorn was like,
but welcome to this forum anyway. :drinks:

P.S. Can I just ask where you took that second shot from please?

StM26

Mu-43 Rookie
I've been over the new one once and it does look impressive from a distance.
I'm not sure what your welcome to Runcorn was like,
but welcome to this forum anyway. :drinks:

P.S. Can I just ask where you took that second shot from please?
Thank you, that's kind. My welcome to Runcorn was very friendly, and included being asked to take a few pictures by a group of random guys who were down near the bridge drinking in the late afternoon ?. We had a good chat too.

The second shot was taken from Mersey Rd, immediately under the bridge. The closest I could get the Google maps pin was here.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/azEvt7NCxfyRort69

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for that (name?).
My In-Laws lived about 200 yards from there.

I don't know if you ever watched the TV programme "Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps please"? :drinks:
That series was filmed in that very area. Maybe those guys were film extras. :laugh:

Now, I think we should get back on track with photos of bridges. :whistling:

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Thanks for that (name?).
My In-Laws lived about 200 yards from there.

I don't know if you ever watched the TV programme "Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps please"? :drinks:
That series was filmed in that very area. Maybe those guys were film extras. :laugh:

Now, I think we should get back on track with photos of bridges. :whistling:
Why? :rofl:

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
No lights I'm afraid, and I don't think I've ever seen it lit up.

To be honest, it was a perfectly safe area. There was one well-dressed gent just chilling out enjoying the view, a couple of pro photographers and then quite a few joggers and walkers crossing the river bridge behind the Create centre.
I'd certainly be happy to revisit.

It's not a notoriously bad area, but like any dark, sheltered inner city corner, it can attract an unsavoury element. Muggings and assaults are not unheard of, especially along the cycle path that runs under the bridge.

If you looked in the opposite direction of the river, you'd notice green hills in the far distance. When I was a young child, my grandparents had a farm on those hills. The location enjoyed an elevated view over the city which at night was quite spectacular. In those days, the bridge was lit less frequently, so seeing it illuminated was a special occasion. The lighting system was replaced with LEDs about 15 years ago and now they're on most nights (They were on last night, I had to pick up my kids from an evening out in the city). Seeing the bridge lit up takes me back to those late summer evenings at my grandparents.

Here's an old photo from my gallery here, taken with my lumix G2 back in 2012. I took it with my P20 (now my oldest lens).

P1040722_crop.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

vladox

Mu-43 Regular
Two pics of the Gateshead Millenium Bridge, connecting Gateshead and Newcastle.

The Millenium Bridge as seen from the Tyne Bridge on a particularly colourful dawn.
P2190525.jpg

The Millenium Bridge Arch, with the Tyne Bridge in the background. Shot at dusk from the Millenium Bridge itself with the 8mm fisheye.
P6141079_Original (1).jpg

Cheers,
Vlad

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Clifton suspension bridge, Bristol.

View to north bank.
2106-98 TG5.jpg

Just about managed to get the full span in.
2106-99 TG5.jpg

Oh wow, has it broken?

No, only the shadow.
2106-100 TG5.jpg

And a neck-breaking, in-camera vertical panorama shot from the incredibly versatile Olympus TG 5 camera.

2106-102 TG5.jpg

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Known as the “High Bridge“, this railroad bridge crosses over the St. Croix river connecting Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I‘d tell you about the view from the top, but got all weak legged about 20’ into the trek - I blame the see-through grates. I’m a little disappointed in myself ?

Last edited:

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
Cologne< Germany railroad and pedestrian bridge over the Rhine to the Cologne Dom.
DSC_1612.JPG

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Known as the “High Bridge“, this railroad bridge crosses over the St. Croix river connecting Minnesota and Wisconsin.
View attachment 899272
I‘d tell you about the view from the top, but got all weak legged about 20’ into the trek - I blame the see-through grates. I’m a little disappointed in myself ?
View attachment 899273
View attachment 899274
I can't believe you can walk on this bridge at all. Imagine what it's like when a train blows through there?

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
I can't believe you can walk on this bridge at all. Imagine what it's like when a train blows through there?
Well to be fair, you’re not supposed to be walking up there. Not sure if the line is still in use, but the rails seemed pretty shiny still. A train going by while up there? Yikes. That’s actually something to be scared of...unlike my fear of heights which I learned only today I had.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
I don't know what it is but heights cause me to be somewhat afraid. I jumped with a parachute several times in the service and have had a solo sport parachute jump after the service. My first jump was traumatic but after that, even though I was higher than any bridge, it did not feel the same and I was okay. The sport jump was kind of scary since you crawled out of the small plane and stood on a small step outside until you jumped but I did okay. Put me on a bridge, like the old Royal Gorge Bridge or the one across the Rio Grande outside of Taos, NM and my legs turn to jelly.

I do recall the instructions as I left the plane on my first jump and it was to not look down. I remember thinking, where in the hell else will I look?

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
You all know those high buildings with observation decks? The ones with a glass floor?
I will never go out on those!
Looking down and not seeing a floor beneath you makes me want to get out of there ASAP!
I am sure that the engineer that built that glass floor has calculated things correctly, but there is still a small chance of failure!
So show me the calculations and I might go out there! :blush:
(But probably not!)

Latest threads

Top Bottom