Show your aircraft photos! (Airplanes, helicopters, blimps...)

Breezy

Mu-43 Regular
Cant beat a bit of fluff!
D29FAC6B-8240-4066-A5B3-D488F435A6B5.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

MadMarco

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A couple of snaps of the "Thank U NHS" Spitfire that is doing the rounds over key NHS hospitals. I was out in the garden and heard the sound of a Merlin engine, so dashed in the house and made a quick lens change to the Pana 50-200 with seconds to spare. First shot is a bit off, but I had a few moments to compose myself and the shot for the second.

P9130587_PS.jpg

P9130603_PS.jpg

Breezy

Mu-43 Regular
A couple of snaps of the "Thank U NHS" Spitfire that is doing the rounds over key NHS hospitals. I was out in the garden and heard the sound of a Merlin engine, so dashed in the house and made a quick lens change to the Pana 50-200 with seconds to spare. First shot is a bit off, but I had a few moments to compose myself and the shot for the second.

View attachment 846904

View attachment 846905

Nice captures. A slower shutter speed would have given some prop blur and not given the impression that the engine was stopped. ?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Nice captures. A slower shutter speed would have given some prop blur and not given the impression that the engine was stopped. ?
When you're prepared, yes. It can also mean not getting the shot when you're in a hurry.

MadMarco

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Agreeing.....can indeed cause you to miss the shot if in a hurry.
Indeed.

I had no idea what the camera was set to when I grabbed it and had just enough time to pull Memory Recall 1 and set to Program mode, which are my "safety" settings. Unfortunately this includes Single AF, which I should probably change in my defaults to Continuous AF as it is generally more useful for emergencies. I was still in motion walking out the house when the first photo was taken which is why it has some motion blur. I managed to plant my feet for no. 2 but didn't have enough time to set for C-AF.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Indeed.

I had no idea what the camera was set to when I grabbed it and had just enough time to pull Memory Recall 1 and set to Program mode, which are my "safety" settings. Unfortunately this includes Single AF, which I should probably change in my defaults to Continuous AF as it is generally more useful for emergencies. I was still in motion walking out the house when the first photo was taken which is why it has some motion blur. I managed to plant my feet for no. 2 but didn't have enough time to set for C-AF.
Been there. I used to carry a P-n-S that I kept in auto for just that reason. I usually shoot in Manual almost exclusively. While I do have a custom set up that'd work well for aircraft in most cases, I still prefer to spin dials when there's time.

OK, so slightly odd question, but since I got smart people and people with experience shooting aircraft....

My boss would like a picture of our unit (about 400x PAX) with our five aircraft. Right now I'm thinking a V (modified bowling pattern) with people on the outside and a V of people on the inside. Our planes are very large, so I'm assuming I'll need to take multiple shots and stitch them into a Pano.

The question is - and I'm sure it's just math - how far out and how high up would I need to be to capture the scene vertically at ~12mm (as a function of the plane size)? Added bonus if I can get a mountain in the background :) Or any other ideas on how to capture this. :)

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
OK, so slightly odd question, but since I got smart people and people with experience shooting aircraft....

My boss would like a picture of our unit (about 400x PAX) with our five aircraft. Right now I'm thinking a V (modified bowling pattern) with people on the outside and a V of people on the inside. Our planes are very large, so I'm assuming I'll need to take multiple shots and stitch them into a Pano.

The question is - and I'm sure it's just math - how far out and how high up would I need to be to capture the scene vertically at ~12mm (as a function of the plane size)? Added bonus if I can get a mountain in the background :) Or any other ideas on how to capture this. :)
There are field of view calculators on the web by the dozens, everything from any 12mm lens to your specific one. The decent ones are sensor specific. Using your Google Fu, you should be able to get it nailed down to the foot.

Perfect, thanks! You led me in the right direction - I found an app (Photographer's Companion Pro) that let me just choose the camera model, and automatically put in the sensor size, crop factor - made it super easy with a slider. Seems pretty up-to-date -- even had an entry for the OM-D E-M1 Mark III!

Now all I have to figure out is how much space I need for everything :)

szczepanl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Luke Szczepaniak
Apologies for an image heavy post. My first airshow attendance in about 25 years. Below are some of my favourite shots from the event. Sept 12-13 2020 London, Ontario.

RCAF CF-18B Hornet
P9120162.jpg

RCAF CF-18B Hornet
P9120204.jpg

USAF F-35A Lightning II
P9121586.jpg

USAF F-22 Raptor
P9121795-2.jpg

USAF A-10 Thunderbolt (Warthog)
P9122192.jpg

USAF A-10 Thunderbolt (Warthog)
P9122230.jpg

USAF Thunderbirds F-16C Fighting Falcon (Viper)
P9122699-Edit.jpg

RCAF CF-18B Hornet
P9130034.jpg

RCAF CF-18B Hornet and CC-150 Polaris (Airbus A-310)
P9130218.jpg

RCAF CF-18B Hornet
P9130309.jpg

RCAF CF-18B Hornet
P9130404.jpg

A-10 hangin ten
P9131347.jpg

Heritage flight
P9132951.jpg

F-22 Raptor
P9133000-Edit.jpg

F-16C Fighting Falcon (Viper)
P9133026.jpg

F-22 Raptor
P9133128.jpg

Ornge Air AW-139 air ambulance, (not part of the airshow but stationed at the airport)
P9130150.jpg

USCG MH-65 Dolphin
P9130351.jpg

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Nice! That shot of the Hornet and Polaris is a jaw-dropper!

We were discussing the show at the YAF event. The T-Birds and other performers from the US were housed at the Selfridge ANG base on Lake St. Claire. They flew in, did their show, and left. Of course the Warthogs are housed there all of the time. Had they landed, there would've been quarantine restrictions, etc. Glad you got to go.

How did they handle all of the distancing and mask issues?

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Apologies for an image heavy post. My first airshow attendance in about 25 years. Below are some of my favourite shots from the event. Sept 12-13 2020 London, Ontario.

Those are fabulous images.

I used the 300 f4/EM1 MK2 combination last year. Your pictures are way sharper than mine.

Are you using C-AF or S-AF?

szczepanl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Luke Szczepaniak
Nice! That shot of the Hornet and Polaris is a jaw-dropper!

We were discussing the show at the YAF event. The T-Birds and other performers from the US were housed at the Selfridge ANG base on Lake St. Claire. They flew in, did their show, and left. Of course the Warthogs are housed there all of the time. Had they landed, there would've been quarantine restrictions, etc. Glad you got to go.

How did they handle all of the distancing and mask issues?
Thanks Brownie, oddly I wasn't going to post it at all - too much grey. I went out of my comfort zone and post processed it way more than I usually would.

The show was drive in event without a ground portion. You drove in (or walked in to the photo-pit with a mask on). You were assigned a "socially distant" pod and were required to stay there. If you needed to use a rest room you had to put a mask on etc. I thought it worked very well.

I was very impressed with the performance put on by the USAF, incredible skill and professionalism.

Last edited:

szczepanl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Luke Szczepaniak
Those are fabulous images.

I used the 300 f4/EM1 MK2 combination last year. Your pictures are way sharper than mine.

Are you using C-AF or S-AF?
On day 1 i had horrible focusing issues, I chalk it up to inexperience at an airshow and poor camera configuration (C-AF+TR and not correct micro-focus adjustment) on top of technique. The 300 was set up pretty well from a prior micro-focus but I found it challenging to keep track of the fast moving jets. On day 2 was a bit easier. I decided to stick to one camera for most aircraft and seeing as I was happy with the 300 focal range I opted to pair the MC20 with the 40-150 for some flexibility, the los of aperture didn't bother me because I was planning to step up to get a larger focal plane anyway. I opted to keep C-AF with single small point, and did a quick and dirty on site micro-focus tune before the show by just taking a few shots of a distant object in the center focus point and then adjusting "default data" +/- until I was happy with the results in the viewfinder. I switched to my second body with the Pana-leica 100-400 that had a ND filter so i could slow down the shutter speed only for aircraft with spinny things. I also set up AF zone limits (50m-999.99m). This was a totally different experience to what I am used to, glad I went - it really pushed my skills to their limit.

Last edited:

szczepanl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Luke Szczepaniak
Finally had some time to finish going through more of the shots from the airshow.
USAF C-17 short field takeoff demo was very impressive
P9122323.jpg
P9122559.jpg

USAF A-10 Warthog
P9121125.jpg

USAF F-16 Viper special demo paint scheme, I had a particularly hard time getting any good shots of this jet.
P9120730-Edit.jpg

RCAF CF-18's and CC-150 Polaris air to air refueling demo
P9130166-Edit-Edit.jpg

USAF Thunderbirds mirror pass
P9131159.jpg

RCAF C-130 Hercules SAR demo
P9130438-Edit.jpg

USAF F-16 Viper demo, Sunday featured a F-16 in standard paint scheme
P9130744.jpg

An Air Canada DeHavilland Q400 taking off during a break in the show
P9130024-Edit-Edit.jpg

The special demo scheme on the F-16 viper
P9120463.jpg

CF-18 taking off
P9130020.jpg

USAF Thunderbirds
P913020.jpg

USAF C-17
P9122357.jpg

RCAF C-130 Herkules
P9130449.jpg

USAF F-22 Raptor
P9132298.jpg

USAF F-35
P9121440.jpg

Thunderbirds F-16
P9130490.jpg

Thunderbirds cross pass, wish I focused on the jet coming in from the left but pretty happy I got the shot at all.
P9120543.jpg

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
50381972181_c860a77eea_h.jpg

Air Asia 9M RAE at the Air Bridge - Bali Ngurah Rai International Airport by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Snapped a photo of Air Asia’s Airbus A320-216, 9M RAE at the air bridge at Bali Ngurah Rai International airport.

I was a bit surprised as, as other low-cost carriers flying in and out of Bali they seem to have to make use of buses to get passengers on and off planes. Even flying Guardia, Indonesia national airline has seen us doing the bus shuttle.

Latest threads

Top Bottom