Show your aircraft photos! (Airplanes, helicopters, blimps...)

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Mig 17 Fresco :)

The longer the focal length available the better really. If you can fill the frame with the aircraft coming towards you (usually some way away) like Martin did with the Mustang, it often makes for a more interesting picture.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Mig 17 Fresco :)

The longer the focal length available the better really. If you can fill the frame with the aircraft coming towards you (usually some way away) like Martin did with the Mustang, it often makes for a more interesting picture.

We don't get too many oncoming shots, they're about 90% show right > left like in the video clip. When we do it's usually a barnstormer/wing walker type craft or a jet doing a tight turn demonstration. Based on past experience filling the frame isn't going to happen very often.

The unfortunate thing is that the 100-300 is my longest focal length and worst lens, all in one.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Don't want to further hijack the thread, so...someone post an aircraft pic!

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Supermarine Spitfire 26b at Enstone Airfield nr. Chipping Norton. Brand new 90% scale modern take on an original Spitfire. Owning and flying these aircraft at £25K for a 1/12 share (incl training) is a little more within reach than an original which will cost a couple of million. www.spitfireclub.co.uk

26b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Pitts S2B G-SIIE at Enstone airfield, Oxfordshire.

pitts.jpg

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Jaguar XX764 undergoing restoration.

_8030832-Edit.jpg

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
PA-28-180. Registered in 1972 and still someone's pride and joy.

cherokee.jpg

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Just got back from the show. Lots of photos to wade through, will post some up as I can. In the meantime, anyone know what this is? There was no one around it, no info. Based on the bay doors it's for fighting fires. What I found unique is the two prop and two jet engines. The jet engines have doors that cover the intake, I suspect to keep embers and soot out, they must shut the jets down to drop and start them up to speed their turnaround time. They may be common in other parts of the country, but I've never seen one before.

View attachment 765928 P1014113 (2) by telecast, on Flickr

Lockheed P2 Neptune. The jet engines are used on take off and are shut down for normal flight.

Last edited:

Andrewmap

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Martin
@Brownie great set of images and the Mustang is fantastic against the cloud. I have one more airshow to go to this year, Race Day at Shuttleworth (Early October, so the weather gods may or may not be kind) and I think I'm going to hire a Panasonic 100-400 again (not sure I could justify buying one, BUT MPB UK do have a few in stock: did someone mention GAS? :)).

Martin

Andrewmap

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Martin
Only just noticed that the f number isn't showing up on your shots, yet they do on the other folks shots preceding it: all I see is camera, focal length, speed and ISO.

That Corsair is a beauty.

richardp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
I've never taken aircraft photos before but went to the seaside for a few days, and suddenly there was a show outside the hotel window.... would have been rude not to take a few shots.
IMG_20190805_133730_544.jpg

IMG_20190805_133730_543.jpg

P8044521.JPG

Brownie

Real Name
Tim

Andrewmap

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Martin
Yep, Extra 330SC: nearly full wing ailerons which gives it 400 degree/second (!) roll rate. There was one at Shuttleworth a couple of weeks ago, and the way it was being flown was amazing! Too quick for me to follow and take a decent shot.

Andrewmap

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Martin
Too true! need to check that out when next I use the G9 in anger at an airshow: I can see it now - either tailplanes or noses of aircraft in every shot of mine!:rofl:

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Too true! need to check that out when next I use the G9 in anger at an airshow: I can see it now - either tailplanes or noses of aircraft in every shot of mine!:rofl:
I'd be lying if I said there weren't any empty sky shots on the card!

Andrewmap

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Martin
Not an aircraft, but of great significance to the history of aviation. The buildings in the photo are from the Willow Run WWII B-24 Liberator bomber plant. The larger building on the left has the repair hangers and control tower. After the bombers were built crews took them up for a shakedown flight. Any problems were repaired on site before the planes were ferried to their destinations.

The building on the right is what remains of the bomber plant itself. The Yankee Air Force was able to save 144,000 Sq. Ft. of the original 3,500,000 Sq. Ft. plant that will eventually be the new museum. The plant had dual assembly lines, each of which were a mile long. The green doors on the left side are where the completed bombers rolled out, the high security room that stored the Norden bomb sights is just inside the doors. Naysayers called it 'Ford's Folly' or "Will-it Run" because no one believed Ford could do what he said. At its peak the plant turned out a bomber every 58 minutes.

I am very proud to say that my mother was an original Rosie the Riveter, and worked at the plant in 1942.

View attachment 766737 B2_0010 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr
I've heard about the Willow Run plant, have you seen the videos on YouTube?

Martin

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Yep, Extra 330SC: nearly full wing ailerons which gives it 400 degree/second (!) roll rate. There was one at Shuttleworth a couple of weeks ago, and the way it was being flown was amazing! Too quick for me to follow and take a decent shot.

These chaps know how to put the Extra through its paces. From RIAT 2018.

falcons4000-Edit.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom