Show your aircraft photos!

CiaranCReilly

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ciaran Reilly
Was at a big fly past event in Dublin today, Flight Fest 2013. The star attraction was a British Airways A380, below, but there was a great selection of mainly civilian aircraft, which I was very happy about. More to follow when I get them downloaded, this is my favourite though -
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A380 at Flight Fest Dublin 2013 by Ciaran C Reilly, on Flickr

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I appreciate the artistic quality of this shot, but ever since 9/11 the idea of planes merging with buildings can have a quite negative connotation for some people.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
Incredible grab here! :2thumbs:

Was at a big fly past event in Dublin today, Flight Fest 2013. The star attraction was a British Airways A380, below, but there was a great selection of mainly civilian aircraft, which I was very happy about. More to follow when I get them downloaded, this is my favourite though -

A380 at Flight Fest Dublin 2013 by Ciaran C Reilly, on Flickr

CiaranCReilly

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ciaran Reilly
I appreciate the artistic quality of this shot, but ever since 9/11 the idea of planes merging with buildings can have a quite negative connotation for some people.

I hope it's clear that this was absolutely not the intention here, and in fact it never entered my head until you mentioned the link. Thanks for the comment.

scottybish

New to Mu-43

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
Paul Allen's MiG29UB formerly operated by the Ukrainian Air Force.

GX7, 14/2.5

lfmerrell

Mu-43 Veteran
Dallas - Fort Worth metroplex, Texas, USA
bit of a dull day ...
A Tiger Moth, tail skid no brakes, grass strip, spring of '55 at Skegness.
I remember it well.

NickTh.gr

Mu-43 Regular
Sikorsky S-70B-6 ASW helicopter of the Hellenic Navy.
E-P3 SIGMA 19mm 2.8

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
B-25 bomber back in town for a football game flyover. This bird is the Axis Nightmare from the Tri-State Warbird Museum. This time, I used only my 7–14 mm.

headon by foxtail_1, on Flickr

nose gunner by foxtail_1, on Flickr

wing 2 by foxtail_1, on Flickr

too many buttons by foxtail_1, on Flickr

machine gun by foxtail_1, on Flickr

star by foxtail_1, on Flickr

More at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kristi_decourcy/sets/72157631873165699/with/10486293696/

Attachments

Art43

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Arthur Locke
I have been using a G3 for some time and recently bought a G5. I have been trying to use them for aircraft pictures with the 45-200 mm O.I.S. lens with little success. I have been using AFC and the 23-area AF Mode options with the O.I.S. switch on and enabled in the camera.

I focus on the aircraft as it approaches and then pan as it gets closer, either keeping the focussing locked or re-focusing a few times. Using this technique and similar settings on my Nikon D5100 with the 70-300 mm VR zoom I have been getting excellent results.

Does anyone have any advice on how to set up these cameras for shooting aircraft in flight?

STR

Mu-43 Veteran
I have been using a G3 for some time and recently bought a G5. I have been trying to use them for aircraft pictures with the 45-200 mm O.I.S. lens with little success. I have been using AFC and the 23-area AF Mode options with the O.I.S. switch on and enabled in the camera.

I focus on the aircraft as it approaches and then pan as it gets closer, either keeping the focussing locked or re-focusing a few times. Using this technique and similar settings on my Nikon D5100 with the 70-300 mm VR zoom I have been getting excellent results.

Does anyone have any advice on how to set up these cameras for shooting aircraft in flight?
Use AFS or AFF. Single fixed focus box. AFS locks in the focus, and since an airplane is pretty far away from you, you shouldn't have to refocus. AFF adjusts the focus continuously, but doesn't attempt to predict the direction. AFC adjusts focus and attempts to predict, which is harder for contrast systems than phase detect AF systems. AFS is probably sufficient. Single focus point prevents the camera from focusing on a cloud with the multipoint.

I'd also stop down to f/8, as I believe the 45-200 is soft wide open at the long end.

Brian Beezley

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A bunch of guys were flying model helicopters in a big field across the street from Trader Joe's. I just had to get some shots so I left my frozen food in the car. My photos of them flying upsidedown and backwards didn't turn out, but a guy hovered his craft not far away so I could get this shot.

Brian

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
GX7, 25/1.4

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
GH3, 14/2.5

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Use AFS or AFF. Single fixed focus box. AFS locks in the focus, and since an airplane is pretty far away from you, you shouldn't have to refocus. AFF adjusts the focus continuously, but doesn't attempt to predict the direction. AFC adjusts focus and attempts to predict, which is harder for contrast systems than phase detect AF systems. AFS is probably sufficient. Single focus point prevents the camera from focusing on a cloud with the multipoint.

I'd also stop down to f/8, as I believe the 45-200 is soft wide open at the long end.
X2 - if the light is good, you'll probably be at f/8 anyways. Wouldn't go much smaller than that as diffraction will compromise whatever additional sharpness you could gain.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom