Show your aircraft photos!

StanS

Mu-43 Regular
Crawley, West Sussex UK / Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Several pictures from last year's Eastbourne Airshow:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
de Havilland Dove (G-ALCU)

According to planelogger, this aircraft's history began when it was delivered new in 1948 to Maharaja Pratapoinha Gaekwar, the last Maharaja of Baroda.

Despite being filthy rich, his wikipedia entry describes him as "a hedonistic spendthrift who had a tendency to squander his state's money." :)

_9052156-Pano-web1500x2400U100.jpg

Last edited:

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
de Havilland Dove (G-ALCU)

According to planelogger, this aircraft's history began when it was delivered new in 1948 to Maharaja Pratapoinha Gaekwar, the last Maharaja of Baroda.

Despite being filthy rich, his wikipedia entry describes him as "a hedonistic spendthrift who had a tendency to squander his state's money." :)

View attachment 846406
DH sure built graceful aircraft. Her cockpit reminds me of a Mossie. Is that another DH plane to the rear of the Dove? It appears to be missing the rudder, but the vertical stab looks like DH.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
DH sure built graceful aircraft. Her cockpit reminds me of a Mossie. Is that another DH plane to the rear of the Dove? It appears to be missing the rudder, but the vertical stab looks like DH.
The aircraft behind is Percival Prentice (VS623). I didn't get a clear picture of it.

Don't know why it's missing the rudder. Earlier pictures online show a complete aircraft.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I have to ask you guys some question about Nevil Shute's book "Round the bend" if you know it at all.
When is it happening?
And is all the aircraft actual ones or are they fantasy?
Do you think it describes the operations of aircraft correctly and also the same for the maintenance?

As you can probably tell I really like the books of Nevil Shute, I even went as far as buying a complete edition of his works in hardback recently.
Sorry for butting in with a somewhat off topic question.

Breezy

Mu-43 Regular
Embraer 195 of Flybe departs Doncaster Sheffield Airport October 2017. Em1ii and Pan100-400.

Breezy

Mu-43 Regular
About to board a De Havilland Turbine Otter for a two hour jaunt around various lakeside settlements in BC Canada 2017. Mrs B copped for a cockpit seat!

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I have to ask you guys some question about Nevil Shute's book "Round the bend" if you know it at all.
When is it happening?
And is all the aircraft actual ones or are they fantasy?
Do you think it describes the operations of aircraft correctly and also the same for the maintenance?

As you can probably tell I really like the books of Nevil Shute, I even went as far as buying a complete edition of his works in hardback recently.
Sorry for butting in with a somewhat off topic question.
"On the Beach" is the only one of his I've got. Give me a week, I'll read "Round the Bend" and let you know :)

His bio on Amazon describes him as an aeronautical engineer.

Last edited:

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
"On the Beach" is the only one of his I've got. Give me a week, I'll read "Round the Bend" and let you know :)

His bio on Amazon describes him as an aeronautical engineer.
I know he was a aeronautical engineer, but as a writer he might have taken liberties!
Many of his earlier books had a connection to flying, later works (maybe better) are more general.
But I still love them.
Any input on this is appreciated.

AndyCr

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Andy Cripps
I know he was a aeronautical engineer, but as a writer he might have taken liberties!
Many of his earlier books had a connection to flying, later works (maybe better) are more general.
But I still love them.
Any input on this is appreciated.
I have not read "Round the Bend", sorry. "No Highway" is well worth a read, the film is pretty good too. James Stewart, Jack Hawkins, Marlene Dietrich so a pretty good cast.
And for a long time, if I wanted a feel-good story, I picked up "Trustee from the Toolroom".

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Well, very disappointed in my performance on this one. Way fewer keepers than I wanted. First though, the venue.

Because of COVID the annual Thunder Over Michigan air show was cancelled. This is huge loss of fundraiser for the Yankee Air Force. They decided to host 4 mini air shows, which were essentially an hour's worth of flybys. Limited to 40 vehicles per show, $250/vehicle, cram in as many people as you want. Each vehicle had their own social distancing space and could bring lawn chairs, food and drinks for a tailgating type event. They needed volunteers for parking, so I offered and was able to park almost at show center, and almost right on the flight line. Once the flying started I was free to shoot photos until it was time for the guests to leave.

I had resolved to shoot one frame at a time, no bursts, with shutter speeds appropriate for these old planes. Mostly sunny day, flying from 6 to 7 in the evening, facing almost directly into the sun. The few I got with decent light were when they were coming around behind us. Anything looking to the flight line was deeply shaded. I ETR as I could, but blowing out the sky was too easy. Most of the shots were taken at very high f/, resulting in less than sharp photos. I should've known, it's not the first time I've shot here, although it is the first time this late in the evening. An ND would've helped.

Anyway, here are a few that are acceptable-ish. At least I was able to practice and learn some mistakes at a non-critical show. I'll keep digging and see what else I can find in the mess.

P1049593 by telecast, on Flickr

P1049656 by telecast, on Flickr

P1049737 by telecast, on Flickr

Breezy

Mu-43 Regular
Chipmunk flying out of Church Fenton this afternoon.

Breezy

Mu-43 Regular
Brownie’s image of the B17 reminded me of this one I got of Memphis Belle during an airshow at Cosford...pre m43 for me though.

Breezy

Mu-43 Regular
Westland Whirlwind.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom