Show your aircraft photos!

steve1111

Mu-43 Regular
Caught the Collings Foundation tour as it stopped by Moffett Field in Mountain View, CA during May 2019. I got to take a flight on the B-17 "Nine O Nine". A shame what happened later that year in CT.

P-51 Mustang - Toulouse Nuts by steve, on Flickr

B-25 @ Moffett Field by steve, on Flickr

B-17 "Nine O Nine" - View while waiting to get on board for a flight.

_1060839 by steve, on Flickr

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
A re-edit of Emirates A380 A6-EOS as it flew over my house, back in the days when planes flew over my house.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Another victim of COVID. Just found out that Thunder Over Michigan has been cancelled. Guess I won't get to try that 100-400 out at an air show for another year.

AndyCr

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy Cripps
Nice DC-10 pic, don’t see many of them these days.
Thanks. Though my friends on the aviation photography groups have been giving me grief, as strictly speaking it's an MD-11. To an old fart like me they're all DC-10's :)
Fedex and UPS still have some, the Lufthansa ones are going this year, though some are going to end up with UPS.

RichDesmond

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks. Though my friends on the aviation photography groups have been giving me grief, as strictly speaking it's an MD-11. To an old fart like me they're all DC-10's :)
Fedex and UPS still have some, the Lufthansa ones are going this year, though some are going to end up with UPS.
Yeah, funny how the renaming through the corporate mergers has gone. DC-9s are a great example.
It’s mostly the KC-10 tanker version the I see, I work at Tinker AFB and some overhaul work on those is done here.

On July 1st 2020 Waterloo Warbirds did a flyover celebrating Canada Day, here are their jets landing at Kitchener-Waterloo airport at golden hour. All shots with EM-1.2 and the 300pro at f4.

A Polish built MiG-15UTi (SBLiM-2)

CT-133 Silver Star

LET L-29

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
According to Flightradar24, this FedEx 757(?) was cruising close to its ceiling at 40,000 feet as it passed over my house yesterday.

Let's say it was really at 35K, I'm still impressed I got an identifiable image through around seven miles of atmosphere.

_7112508.jpg

Last edited:
So since we're on the subject... This is the kind of picture I've been taking thus far - this from my 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro with the MC-20. I am generally pretty happy with this. It was about sunset, and honestly from the tower most of what I saw were pretty muted colors. Here in Sigonella, it's basically farm land all around with a nice view of Mount Etna.

Question: What are some ways I can improve on this? I know the question is very vague, and I'm basically looking for ideas. I know later in the day, light will be a challenge as I drop 2 stops with the MC-20. Long shutter speeds don't seem possible. Anyway I covet your advice as I try to get better at this :)

Dion
A903CC8E-0ED2-487E-9E3E-B132BA1B54CC.jpeg

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Hi Dion,

The aircraft is a long way away, relatively close to the ground.

There are a couple of general things that you could do.

Firstly, bump your ISO up a stop. After much experimentation, I can't see any benefit to using ISOs lower than 200 with the EM1MK2. If you are trying to blur props, rotors or water and you've run out of apertures, then fine, other wise, go 200 or upwards.

Lens and converter are the best you'll get in that focal length. Shot is in focus. Shutter speed more than adequate for hand holding. I managed 1/100 with that combo with very little practice (to maintain rotor blur on a helicopter).

Use anti-shock shutter. Manuals say switch off IS when using a tripod.

None of the above will make much difference to this picture.

The body of the aircraft looks to be affected by heat haze. As John has just said, the only thing which could improve this shot is a cool day to get rid of haze and a good rain shower to get rid of the rubbish out of the atmosphere and dampen down the dust. There is an awful lot of murky air in between you and the aircraft.

It also looks to have some noise, when I wouldn't expect much noise at low ISO.

Is it cropped? Is it an out of camera JPEG which has been lightened?

The noise can be fixed, easily in this case, in photoshop or similar.

I tend to use centre weighted metering or spot metering rather than multi-pattern when shooting aircraft in the sky. If it's really bright, I take a manual meter reading off the runway and use that.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom