Show your aircraft photos! (Airplanes, helicopters, blimps...)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
The Yankee Air Force received a new static display this week, today was the first day for viewing. This flew as #1 at the 2017 Thunder Over Michigan. It has been numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 throughout it's life.

All shots with the G9 and PL 8-18 except for the last, which was a G7 and 14-42 kit lens.
Correction: It was an FZ-70, before I bought the G7.

50842219536_afd5c8b703_b.jpgP1061665 by telecast, on Flickr

50842219341_5399615a62_b.jpgP1061668 by telecast, on Flickr

50841495578_f14a197443_b.jpgP1061671 by telecast, on Flickr

50841494818_185f4808a9_b.jpgP1061679 by telecast, on Flickr

50842305627_788ba74777_b.jpgP1061683 by telecast, on Flickr

50842305402_a3c93eb0dd_c.jpgP1061686 by telecast, on Flickr

50842218741_f30558cb05_c.jpgP1061673 by telecast, on Flickr

50842217106_702236b1fd_c.jpgP1061696 by telecast, on Flickr

50842306167_d1a6fdc308_b.jpgP1061672 by telecast, on Flickr

Here she is as Number 1 in 2017.
50842219591_b237fd8016_b.jpg149 by telecast, on Flickr

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Next up was the Deep Landings exhibit. This was the first chance I'd had to see it.
During WWII, the Navy held aircraft carrier training on Lake Michigan using sever pseudo-carriers, ships that were purchased and converted for aviation practice. A pilot had to successfully perform X number of landings and takeoffs before they were certified for carrier duty. Needless to say, there were mishaps. Several airplanes have been raised from the bottom and restored, with work being performed by different aviation museums. Air Zoo in Kalamazoo Michigan has restored at least 2 that I know of.

This SBD Dauntless Dive Bomber was wrecked beyond repair. It was rescued from the lake and is now on display at the Yankee Air Museum. The wreck site was documented and the display depicts exactly how the airplane lay on the lake bottom. They've done a really nice job. It includes the complete history of the program as well as the airplane, interactive displays and several flight simulators where one can attempt to land on a carrier.

I gotta' say, the G9/PL 8-18 combination is brilliant. This is exactly the reason I purchased the 8-18, museums and indoor close range.

P1061689 by telecast, on Flickr

P1061690 by telecast, on Flickr

P1061691 by telecast, on Flickr

P1061694 by telecast, on Flickr

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
A couple of from my pre-u43 days
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My dad, who recently passed, had the good fortune to fly on one of these. It left a life-long happy impression with him.

And then there were these that I absolutely love!

And I just loved the "lived in" look, scorch marks etc

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
And you know, I was wondering about the wide zooms. Guess I was thinking landscapes, but I can see the utility indoors too!
I like to shoot in museums and other historical locations. Space is usually at a premium and there are other people to consider. A wide angle lens lets me get the entire room when I want, or an entire large object. You can't believe how close I was to the FA-18 when I shot those, and not even at full wide. On smaller objects it lets you get close enough to cut other people out of the shot.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I like to shoot in museums and other historical locations. Space is usually at a premium and there are other people to consider. A wide angle lens lets me get the entire room when I want, or an entire large object. You can't believe how close I was to the FA-18 when I shot those, and not even at full wide. On smaller objects it lets you get close enough to cut other people out of the shot.
I have been getting good results from pano's at focal lengths of about 20-40mm. I can't give a technical reason other than that the perspective is more pleasing to my eye. If I'm travelling distance, (hoping to go to Hendon this year when we're allowed out), I'll still be using my 7-14 as back up in case I can't get decent stitches.

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I have been getting good results from pano's at focal lengths of about 20-40mm. I can't give a technical reason other than that the perspective is more pleasing to my eye. If I'm travelling distance, (hoping to go to hendon this year when we're allowed out), I'll still be using my 7-14 as back up in case I can't get decent stitches.
The problem with that is other people moving around, through one of your shots, etc. I don't like to encumber a display for too long either, the other folks there want to see it too.

Yesterday was kind of funny. People are so not used to seeing actual cameras these days, they stayed out of my way. Besides one guy with a bridge camera everything else was a phone. One woman mumbled that I must be taking photos for an upcoming documentary! I suppose it never occurred to her that those kinds of photos would be taken when no one was around. Still, it made it easy for me to move around, and who was I to correct her?

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
The problem with that is other people moving around, through one of your shots, etc. I don't like to encumber a display for too long either, the other folks there want to see it too.

Yesterday was kind of funny. People are so not used to seeing actual cameras these days, they stayed out of my way. Besides one guy with a bridge camera everything else was a phone. One woman mumbled that I must be taking photos for an upcoming documentary! I suppose it never occurred to her that those kinds of photos would be taken when no one was around. Still, it made it easy for me to move around, and who was I to correct her?
I understand your reluctance. I've been lucky with crowds.

Top jpeg is shot at 12mm - single shot.

The next one is a pano from four vertical shots, also at 12mm from within a couple of feet of the first.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
A pair of classic British airliners - part of the line up at Duxford.

Real Name
William
Another one from the 2019 Punta Gorda Airshow.

Real Name
William
Saw the earlier post of Atlantis and felt compelled to post yet another view of the ultimate aircraft

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
A B25 Mitchell bomber at the Dutch War Museum in Overloon.
(photoshopped flak )
P1020407 copy.jpg

Last edited:

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
Saw the earlier post of Atlantis and felt compelled to post yet another view of the ultimate aircraftView attachment 869119
It is magnificent and I love how they have it displayed. We had the good fortune to meet with someone there that worked on the Shuttle program and then meet them again later in the VAB.

Real Name
William
It is magnificent and I love how they have it displayed. We had the good fortune to meet with someone there that worked on the Shuttle program and then meet them again later in the VAB.
View attachment 869132
I actually grew up during the whole space race period and watched the entire program from Gemini through Shuttle.

They have done an amazing job in the preservation of Atlantis and actually have left it untouched from its landing sans all of the internals (engines, computers etc) You will notice from my original post the scorch marks on and around the nose area from re-entry. What a ride that must have been!

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I actually grew up during the whole space race period and watched the entire program from Gemini through Shuttle.

They have done an amazing job in the preservation of Atlantis and actually have left it untouched from its landing sans all of the internals (engines, computers etc) You will notice from my original post the scorch marks on and around the nose area from re-entry. What a ride that must have been!
God, you must be about as old as I am ;) I can still remember watching the moon landing on TV (as a YOUNG child !).

I have a similar photo oriented on the nose with scorch marks etc. The guy we met at Atlantis was such a nice guy. If I remember correctly, he was in charge of vehicle readiness when the shuttle program was running. I can't recall his name of the top of my head, but he had a fantastic mustache and he gifted a special memorial coin to our daughter. What a great guy he was!

I missed out on seeing Discovery when we were in DC as we ran out of time and it had been moved from the Air and Space museum.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom