Show your aircraft photos! (Airplanes, helicopters, blimps...)

Our fifth and final bird (RQ-4D GLOBAL HAWK) arrived today - very special! This time they allowed me to go with the tow team, and was able to snap a few shots to make a pano before they hooked her up. Gorgeous day in beautiful Sicily!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Barking

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jeff
Aer Lingus on take off from Belfast city airport

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
This was one of my favorites from an airshow. Breaking some air!

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
You are seeing clouds. Low air pressure around the aircraft causes a drop in air temperature. If the air is moist, water droplets can form small clouds. It's highly entertaining :)

It can happen at lower speeds - it can depend on the attitude and what is happening to the air around the aircraft. For example, the same thing can happen in a tight turn.

So picture and a question... One of the things I love being in Sicily is the quieter pace of everything - but admittedly it's Farmville, so many of my shots look like the one below. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to edit? It's so... Yellow. :)

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
So picture and a question... One of the things I love being in Sicily is the quieter pace of everything - but admittedly it's Farmville, so many of my shots look like the one below. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to edit? It's so... Yellow. :)

View attachment 860946
If you raise the vibrancy and saturation the colours will be more "vivid", but the yellow-ness will still be there only more yellow.
To remedy that use the HSL controls (I use DxO PL4, so I hope it is called the same in your program), to lower the vibrancy and saturation of the yellow channel, just play a round a bit with the different channels until you get a result you like.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard

View attachment 860946
Since digital cameras just love to turn everything a nice shade of blue, consider yourself blessed.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard

View attachment 860946
Which program are you using to edit?

If photoshop, add a curves adjustment layer and click the mid-tone eyedropper.

Using that eyedropper, sampling one of the lighter areas of runway directly below the port undercarriage will get you pretty close to what I suspect is the truth.

Leave the other two eyedroppers alone for now.

OK, thanks both! I thank you for thinking that I have anything close to proficiency with a photo editor. I generally use Lightroom CC to overall change levels, crop, etc. I have a desire to learn more about Photoshop, but to be honest I find it kind of intimidating. And I have Affinity Photo as well - it's only slightly less intimidating than Photoshop :)

I think I understand both your suggestions, so I'll give it a go :)

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
OK, thanks both! I thank you for thinking that I have anything close to proficiency with a photo editor. I generally use Lightroom CC to overall change levels, crop, etc. I have a desire to learn more about Photoshop, but to be honest I find it kind of intimidating. And I have Affinity Photo as well - it's only slightly less intimidating than Photoshop :)

I think I understand both your suggestions, so I'll give it a go :)
In Lightroom, use the eyedropper to the left of the yellow/blue and magenta/green sliders at the top of the 'basic' panel to pick a target neutral.

Pick anything which should be grey or white.

Avoid areas in cast shadow and blown (specular) highlights. The tarmac below the aircraft will be a good start, or perhaps the painted stripes on the runway or the number 3 runway distance marker.

If the aircraft are supposed to be grey rather than blue grey, you can try a few points on those.

If the aircraft are supposed to be grey rather than blue grey, you can try a few points on those.
This is the actual color - I just don't quite know what this color is :)

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
This is the actual color - I just don't quite know what this color is :)

View attachment 860965
The known quantities on that image are probably the white bits of the star :)

Chances are we're looking at slightly different colours and tones because we are looking at different monitors.

If this image looks correct on your monitor, a possible starting point for you would be to load this, and your other photo into Lightroom so you have a comparison in front of you.

You should be able to get close (or at least be able to see what direction you need to move in) by moving the colour temperature and tint sliders at the top of the 'basic' panel.

Absolutely precise colour correction is possible in both Lightroom and Photoshop - but that is for another time.

Experimenting with colour temperature and perhaps the colour temperature sampler/pipette (automation can be good) would be a good start.

Also, don't dismiss the 'auto' button in Lightroom's basic panel - it can yield very pleasing results with a single click and is often a very good starting point.

Chances are we're looking at slightly different colours and tones because we are looking at different monitors.

If this image looks correct on your monitor, a possible starting point for you would be to load this, and your other photo into Lightroom so you have a comparison in front of you.
Very possibly! I am using an iMac with an additional monitor, and the iMac looked perfect - the other monitor quite a bit different until I set the colorspace on it to Adobe RGB. It doesn't look exactly like the iMac, but pretty close. The color is a greenish-gray, but closer to gray. :)

Here's the result. I remember from photography classes a few decades ago that decreasing yellow increases blue, so there's a natural trade-off, but I think it's OK :)

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Very possibly! I am using an iMac with an additional monitor, and the iMac looked perfect - the other monitor quite a bit different until I set the colorspace on it to Adobe RGB. It doesn't look exactly like the iMac, but pretty close. The color is a greenish-gray, but closer to gray. :)

Here's the result. I remember from photography classes a few decades ago that decreasing yellow increases blue, so there's a natural trade-off, but I think it's OK :)

View attachment 860971
Looks good here :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom