Show wildflowers, only wildflowers in the wild

Strangely enough, I've never really bothered to photograph the local black anther flax lily, Dianella revoluta, which grows in abundance everywhere except in my garden! It has become a popular cultivar for modern Australian gardens and civic landscaping.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These ballerina-like finger orchids, Caladenia species, were set before the rugged backdrop of a stringy-bark gumtree.

One of our last orchids to fully reveal themselves in springtime is the Thelymitra sun-orchid group - true to their name, they don't care to be open unless the sun is shining, and lately it's been fairly overcast. These salmon sun-orchids are awaiting sunnier weather, I can hardly wait to see them open!

These greenhood orchids grow in a most unnatural environment: the middle of a pine plantation. I've only caught them flowering once before, but I checked a couple of times this season and was thrilled to find them thriving!

This time I tried something different: my Olympus 45mm f1.8 - it's surprising how close it can focus. I tried it with the Raynox 250, but it's not a gadget I've been able to get comfortable with.

So many beautiful orchids - time for a change of pace, something tattered and old....

Alpine sunflower - Old-Man-Of-The-Mountain (hymenoxys grandiflora). I keep thinking they are done for the year, and then I find another single flower just hanging on. At about 12,000' near Fremont Pass, CO.

Alpine Sunflower, on Flickr

Up close with a beard...

This is the gently-unfurling flower spike of a tiny red Drosera sundew, a local carnivorous plant - two out-of focus orange flowers are in the background. The spike is very tiny, perhaps 5cm tall.

Here's something different from the usual wildflower photos: a flowering grass head. This is one I haven't IDed yet, but there's a lot around this season.

Here's a stepped-back view of my previous flowering grasshead photo:

And finally, the sun-orchids are beginning to open! This is made more exciting because of their peek-a-boo approach to being open only when the sun is shining sufficiently.

Salmon sun-orchid, Thelymitra rubra.

Nature builds the best gardens - I loved the constrast between the silvery dead log and the bright orange ground-cover bush-pea.

Another handsome beard-orchid. These really are hard to spot from a distance (e.g. from your car).

Another handsome beard-orchid. These really are hard to spot from a distance (e.g. from your car).
View attachment 853907View attachment 853908
Melanie you're really getting some very nice photos of the wild flowers about you.
Such variety and colours. Beautiful.
It saddens me our natives don't get the recognition they deserve.

Keep them coming. Looks like you're having fun and I for one, am enjoying them.

Melanie you're really getting some very nice photos of the wild flowers about you.
Such variety and colours. Beautiful.
It saddens me our natives don't get the recognition they deserve.

Keep them coming. Looks like you're having fun and I for one, am enjoying them.
Thanks Richard! My wildflower photography is area where I am pretty happy with the results, and years of tinkering are now paying off :)

Biswajit Sharma

Mu-43 Rookie

The blue grass-lily Caesia calliantha is a common, early-spring species which hasn't appealed to me to try to capture nicely, but this season I decided to give it a better effort.

Golden moths orchid, Diuris species, are only on show briefly, and I was thrilled to find a few more plants had popped up in my nature strip this year.

The flower spike of a sticky sundew, Drosera species.

Taken last week at 9100' in elevation, my last high mountain flowers for the year.

EM124162-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom