Show wildflowers, only wildflowers in the wild

Thank you. I have photographed a few more varieties than what I've posted, but I didn't want to overload the thread with too many photos. There are plenty of orchids in bud, including sun orchids and beards. I've missed quite a number in flower due to the current restrictions, but there is always next season. The ducks should be plentiful this season, there are a heap in bud and should be open over the coming weeks.

Here is one from last season for those who are not sure what we're taking about.

View attachment 850128
Good golly, that's a good one! I thought there are a lot of orchids where I live (way out in the Wimmera), but there you are closer to the city with these beauties. May I ask which park/s you found these? Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer.

Richard_M

Mu-43 Veteran
Good golly, that's a good one! I thought there are a lot of orchids where I live (way out in the Wimmera), but there you are closer to the city with these beauties. May I ask which park/s you found these? Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer.
I'm down the Mornington Peninsula, most reserves have orchids, some more than others. The Dandenong Ranges and reserves down a bit lower also have good numbers. Anglesea Heath, Grampians, Otway, and You Yangs, along with Gippsland are all great spots to visit, as yet I haven't been to any of these but are on my to do list.

The Victorian state floral emblem, Common heath - Epacris Impressa.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Richard_M

Mu-43 Veteran
It was a great weekend for native orchids. The wet winter has ensured there are plenty of orchids in bud. Some of these are flowering 1 to 2 weeks earlier than previous seasons. The sun orchids are great and something I look forward to each season. While the weather was warm over the weekend, it was also extremely windy which meant taking photos was a challenge. Not a lot of the sun orchids were open, plenty were still in bud. Hopefully if we get warm weather next weekend I'll get the opportunity to photograph a few more.

Here are just a token of the orchids I managed to get photos of over the weekend.

#1 Large Duck Orchid (Caleana major) Always nice to see the duck orchids in flower

#2 Copper Beard Orchid ( Calochilus campestris) This is the second species of beard orchid I've managed to photograph this season

#3 Green Caps Caladenia (Caladenia transitoria)

#4 Salmon Sun-orchid (Thelymitra rubra)

#5 Twisted Sun-orchid (Thelymitra flexuosa)

#6 Salmon Sun-orchid (Thelymitra rubra) Not usual colouring

#7 Rabbit Ears Sun-orchid (Thelymitra antennifera)

#8 Blue Star Sun-Orchid (Thelymitra holmesii)

#9 Crested Sun-orchid ( Thelymitra X irregularis)

#10 Dotted Sun-orchid (Thelymitra ixioides)

#11 Tiny Fingers (Caladenia pusilla)

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
no luck today hunting for "schroons", but still a few wildflowers around.
Helios 44-2 lens

This was taken at 9100’ in elevation on October 7, I’m guessing it didn’t get the “fall is here” memo.

EM123732-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro

I had everything against me here. Squatting on the balls of my feet, slight breeze moving the flower, low afternoon light in the woods, and f4 as my fastest speed. Could’ve sworn I had my ISO on auto though...but I guess not!
EF41AD21-E2A4-4A6F-85D1-EAAB42073F5C.jpeg

Hoffelijk

Mu-43 Regular
Cosmos

Cosmea.jpg

Flickr

Last edited:

DickB

Mu-43 Rookie
A few from a recent walk. It's unusual to see a lot of flowers this time of year, but this is a strange year anyway.

Hoffelijk

Mu-43 Regular
Poppy

Flickr

It was a great weekend for native orchids. The wet winter has ensured there are plenty of orchids in bud. Some of these are flowering 1 to 2 weeks earlier than previous seasons. The sun orchids are great and something I look forward to each season. While the weather was warm over the weekend, it was also extremely windy which meant taking photos was a challenge. Not a lot of the sun orchids were open, plenty were still in bud. Hopefully if we get warm weather next weekend I'll get the opportunity to photograph a few more.

Here are just a token of the orchids I managed to get photos of over the weekend.

#1 Large Duck Orchid (Caleana major) Always nice to see the duck orchids in flower
View attachment 850953

#2 Copper Beard Orchid ( Calochilus campestris) This is the second species of beard orchid I've managed to photograph this season
View attachment 850954

View attachment 850955

View attachment 850956

View attachment 850957

View attachment 850958

View attachment 850959

View attachment 850960

View attachment 850961

View attachment 850962

View attachment 850963
Another awesome series Richard
You've captured them beautifully.
All very nice, and lovely to see.

View attachment 850953

View attachment 850954

View attachment 850955

View attachment 850956

View attachment 850957

View attachment 850958

View attachment 850959

View attachment 850960

View attachment 850961

View attachment 850962

View attachment 850963
Wow, Richard, I'm so impressed by the variety of species you have showing, many I haven't seen - that crested sun orchid sure is a stunner.

Recently, I watched an online seminar about native orchids in our area, and heard about the importance of certain fungi and wasps for ensuring their survival. The next time I went out wildflowering, I was lucky to see a wasp attempting to mate with the spider orchid, which was a great demonstration of how it's a required part of the life cycle. Even though the wasp was stage struck by my presence and wouldn't settle again, I kept the only photo I took to show this.

Richard_M

Mu-43 Veteran
Recently, I watched an online seminar about native orchids in our area, and heard about the importance of certain fungi and wasps for ensuring their survival. The next time I went out wildflowering, I was lucky to see a wasp attempting to mate with the spider orchid, which was a great demonstration of how it's a required part of the life cycle. Even though the wasp was stage struck by my presence and wouldn't settle again, I kept the only photo I took to show this.
If you get interested in orchid pollinator's, Rudie Kuiter has a book on them. I have most of Rudie's Orchid books including the pollinator one. He is a wealth of knowledge and happily will share it with others. Depending on where you look for orchids, you may come across Rudie in your travels.

https://www.researchgate.net/project/Orchid-pollinators-of-Victoria

Leopard orchids are one of my favourites, and this year there are lots!

Hooray for beards! I'm always saying this orchid or that native orchid is my favourite, so here's another one, the purple beard-orchid.
01244496-01.jpeg

It might vaguely resemble a bearded iris, but is minute in comparison, with a flower scarcely bigger than my thumbnail.
01244495-02.jpeg

This is one of my regular patches of remnant native vegetation to visit, it's full of wildflowers right now - can you tell? There's a yellow leopard-orchid in the centre bottom of the frame - they're about the size of the beard-orchids and mid-sized sun-orchids.
IMG_20201014_183128-01.jpeg

I'm always urging locals to have a close look in our bushland, and not just sail past in a car, noticing only the things which are wildly flowering - mostly native shrubs and feral weeds - on the roadsides; most of the really good stuff is only noticeable when ambling slowly, and ducking down to their level.

Last edited:
Hooray for beards! I'm always saying this orchid or that native orchid is my favourite, so here's another one, the purple beard-orchid.
View attachment 852754
It might vaguely resemble a bearded iris, but is minute in comparison, with a flower scarcely bigger than my thumbnail.
View attachment 852755
This is one of my regular patches of remnant native vegetation to visit, it's full of wildflowers right now - can you tell? There's a yellow leopard-orchid in the centre bottom of the frame - they're about the size of the beard-orchids and mid-sized sun-orchids.
View attachment 852756
I'm always urging locals to have a close look in our bushland, and not just sail past in a car, noticing only the things which are wildly flowering - mostly native shrubs and feral weeds - on the roadsides; most of the really good stuff is only noticeable when ambling slowly, and ducking down to their level.
Melanie these are beautiful.
I can appreciate your taste in orchids. This is very special.
The details are excellent.
Love the bush scene showing the habitat.
A beautiful piece of the landscape. Is it on your property?

Melanie these are beautiful.
I can appreciate your taste in orchids. This is very special.
The details are excellent.
Love the bush scene showing the habitat.
A beautiful piece of the landscape. Is it on your property?
Thank you so much for your encouragement, Richard. I'm quite single-minded about which wildflowers are worth pursuing: orchids! They're just magical to me. Alas, there's no remnant native vegetation on our land, but this patch is only 2km away! I did find a salmon sun-orchid about to unfurl in our nature strip, so that was a pleasant surprise :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom