Show: Whisky!

Oruf

Mu-43 Rookie
What a curious thread :)

A Christmas gift from my brother in law. Not a very good picture, but It was not shoot to post.

DELICIOUS

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
On a business trip, i spotted this cheapo whisky on the airport. Liked the bottle so i gave it a try

Not the best whisky i ever had. The smell is good, but the taste it's a bit...artificial. Yeah, i know, not the best whisky reviewer here.

On the way back, i spotted Lagavulin 16 for a decent price, and i always wanted to try it, but it would be hard to explain to Ms Ramsey two new bottles of scotch when this is still open.

And Ardbeg 10 and Glanfiddich Caoran reserve are still closed, waiting for the perfect opportunity.

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
look alive people, those whiskies aren't gonna drink themselves :bump:

Picked this up as cheap daily stuff. Looked at it for some time, ran into some discount in a local supermarker, came to around 22 € (usually is around 28-29).

Solid stuff. My palate is still in effect from the salmon and red wine i had an hour ago but I can taste honey, cinnamon, black pepper and undefined spices (i'm still getting the hang of this scotch review thing, as you can see). Finish is a bit short. Had it neat in a glencairn. Has me wondering what would happen to it if it was 43%. Solid blend. IMO definitely better than JWRL or Ballantines (the most common blended scotch in EU).

From what i understand, Monkey shoulder is a mix from Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Kininvie. For a novice or someone not that into heavier or peatier stuff, i'd recommend this. Due to price, i see myself having this as a cheap daily dram or as a whisky cocktail mixer.

Also, in the meantime (form the last post), i've picked up Lagavulin and Dalmore 12. I know it's a cliche, but Lagavulin is like a combination of Christmas and campfire in your mouth. I just love that drink. Dalmore is rather forgetable. I now know why people tend to dislike the 40% scotch.

Walter

Mu-43 All-Pro
Several drams of single malt tend to change the way you see things. In-camera double exposures to show what I mean. ;-)

Vivalo

Olympus loser

Woodford distillery Lexington KY. Corn mash fermenting after cooking.

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
Here are two whiskey shots from last year. Writer's Tears and a Manhattan.

Sejanus.Aelianus

Mu-43 Regular
There is only one way to drink the stuff - as a hot toddy!

mrbaker

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Mike
Couple of friends.

Christian Braun

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christian Braun
Just a lens test. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus 7-14mm 2.8 @ 8mm

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry

Taken with my phone at a distillery in Gig Harbor, WA

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So we have a whisky fair in Zagreb (Croatia). Not a big deal, basically one showroom with several distributors offering products at slightly lower prices than usual, several workshops over two days and that's it. I couldn't make it last year so i made sure i was there this year. Whisky offer in Croatia is poor, imagine 5-10 biggest whiskies (mostly blends) and that's it. Last year things started to pick up, with some shops even offering stuff like Lagavulin, Nikka etc, but we still have a long way to go.

So i did manage to try Ardbeg Uigedail and Corryvreckan as well as Bookers rye, which is not something a lot of bars or shops carry. All were great, though i don't think the perceived taste difference of Uige and Corry in comparison to the standard 10yo is justifying the price difference. Just my two cents. Bookers was good but i did find it a bit overpowering (60ish % is on the high side of the spirits i tried so far).

I took a workshop speaking of whisky terroir and it was great. I didn't try any of the six in the tasting before, but i did plan to try/buy 3-4 of them soon. All that said, 6 different whiskies in one night is a bit much for the palate.

Legs for days...

Of the ones tasted, Lagavulin was the best. For such a young whisky, it hits all the right notes, and has a certain elegance to it. IMO better than the 16. Highly recommended. Springbank, Bruichladdich and Clynelish were right behind Lagavulin (though i did expect a bit more from Clynelish).

Right now, i'm sad that i didn't come earlier and that i couldn't make it for day 2 (today). I wanted to try much more. Too much whisky, too little time...

some lost distilleries whiskies. When i saw the sign, i thought things like Brora would be there but no... oh well...

Last edited:

bredman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
Couple of rare ones. The Dallas Dhu was distilled a year before the distillery closed. A poor decision and likely an economic one as the juice is amazing - a 28 year old. The 40 year old Special Speyside will be a Glenfarclas.

Shot with a Porst 50mm (Fujinon)

Rare Dallas Dhu Aged 28 Years by Pete O'Sullivan, on Flickr

40 Year Old by Pete O'Sullivan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom