1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Show: Whisky!

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by TDP, Sep 21, 2012.

1. TDP

TDP Guest

Years ago I signed up for a Single Malt tasting class, not knowing a single thing about the subject. By the end of the night I had begun my educational journey into the ways of Whisky and I was very glad I took a taxi.

Now a few times a year I host Scotch tasting parties at the house to share what I have and sample what others bring....next one will be soon, so you all should stop by!

- TDP

...oh and now for some photos

2. TDP

TDP Guest

EM5 and CV17.5. A few notes on these photos, one thing that is AWESOME about an EVF is you get direct feedback on your DOF as you stop a lens down, but I still shoot a couple of each shot with different f stops and then pick the one I like best in post processing. While others may be different in their MF lens technique on the EM5, I put the camera in P, set my ISO and f stop then adjust the overall image via exposure compensation. It is quick. I can increase or decrease DOF on the fly and the camera adjust the shutter speed to try and keep the image metered. It is almost a pseudo aperture priority while using an AF lens.

For sharpness, I guess don't really care about that. If part of the bottle label is out of focus, so be it. I'm more concerned with the overall photo and how the background aspects come out. I want them fuzzy but I want to still see some shape and form.

Options by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr

3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    mmm... Bookers bourbon with a cigar... and a nap.

Now then what's everyones favorite whiskey/whisky.

I currently love the Bakers Bourbon, because I can drink it neat, ice, touch of water. Very versatile and a lovely vanilla smoothness. Crap for anykind of cocktailing though... don't get on me for liking whiskey cocktails. I like a good sazerac as much as a good two fingers.

4. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I'm a big Single Malt guy myself. I have some Bourbon and Rye in the collection too. I have about a 30 bottle collection which has been thinning recently, need to start refreshing it again. The fall and winter is my favorite time to enjoy Whisk(e)y.

Bruichladdich Black Art (21 yr)

7974812894_e76394b060_b.
    Bruichladdich Black Art by danska8, on Flickr

7828111366_44d951b59e_b.
    Evening treat by danska8, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  5. TDP

TDP Guest

I LIKE that glass!

I can't find proper Scotch glasses here so I get by with what I can.

6. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    For Bourbon my favorite for a long time was the Evan Williams Single Barrel (2001 was the best). For the price ($28) that one couldn't be beat. Jim Beam Black (8 yr) has always been a good go-to as well for the dollar. I love a good Manhattan too, preferably with Rye! Most of the time it's just neat with a drop of water.

Try some Luxardo cherries sometime if you want the ultimate cherry!

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    They are called 'Glencairn' perfect Scotch glasses. I got some for my birthday a couple years ago. Not sure about availability in Asia but they are all over the web. You can get them with etched logos from different distilleries.

9. TDP

TDP Guest

I have a couple in storage back in the US. Picked them up during a 5 day trip to Scotland for mountain biking (the 7 Stanes are magical), rock climbing and drinking scotch. It was an awesome trip. First time I ever had Highland Park - they drink it as a dram beside a 200 ml glass of light lager. Sip one, sip the other. Happy days...

10. TDP

TDP Guest

11. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I've had the evan williams... That stuff is interesting as every year can be so different. Somtimes its top quality, sometimes it's undrinkable... seems crazy to me there would be such differences from year to year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    You didn't say good whiskey

_1220968.

• Like Like x 4
  13. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Yeah the last one I had was awful. That 2001 was for the gods, and I bought a lot of it when it was available. Haven't tried the latest one though unless it's still 2002. It is hard to believe they don't have a consistent distillate.

14. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    A quick badly-lit shot of my cabinet. The shelf is bowing from the weight. I have another cabinet with some Whisky and other booze. Basically I have way more than I need, it's a problem...

P9210296.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TDP

TDP Guest

A gift from a good friend, monogramed with my initials.

In the glass is The Balvenie Single Barrel 15 over ice. Photo was shot....oh about 5 minutes ago.

8009513015_15416a98bb_c.
    The Good Book by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr

16. TDP

TDP Guest

Checking flights from Taipei to Washington now.....a bowing shelf is nothing to take lightly and MUST be corrected.

17. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    :biggrin: I'd be happy to share! I must admit I'm young for a Scotch drinker (late 20's), most of my friends don't care for it. I've been compiling this for a couple of years using wine gas in between.

18. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    A cheap Rye that I really like is Old Overholt. Usually under $20 and makes great cocktails or neat.

Rye time by danska8, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  19. TDP

TDP Guest

Good shot (the photographic kind, that is).

20. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    No sir! But if that's anything like the fireball we have down here, the hangovers can be atrocious! Really neat shot, BTW!

• Like Like x 1