Show: Using Blur

I know there are threads for showing blurry pictures, such as show Are-Bure-Boke - "grainy, blurry, and out-of-focus" , Blurry Photos: Post Your Keepers! but they don't fit what I have in mind. I would like to see others post here images that they have created using blur as a deliberate means of achieving what they want. Use of graininess is not a prerequisite but does also belong here.

I offer a few examples of what I have done to hopefully start the ball rolling.
52029307 (2).JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
52029313 (2).JPG
52029315 (2).JPG

Last edited:

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
So, specifically blur from intentional strong defocus, as opposed to camera or subject motion, right? You might want to edit the title to include "show" or "share" as per convention. I think I finally forced myself to "clean up" most of the ones I had sitting around... but I found this:

g2183707.jpg

Last edited:
So, specifically blur from intentional strong defocus, as opposed to camera or subject motion, right? You might want to edit the title to include "show" or "share" as per convention. I think I finally forced myself to "clean up" most of the ones I had sitting around... but I found this:

View attachment 801747
Thanks! The title has been amended in accord with your suggestion.
Regarding how the blur is achieved, I suppose it doesn't really matter whether it is induced by motion. What is important to me in this thread is that the blur is intended, and the end result is what the photog is happy with.

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Ok, next question: is the idea that the image be generally devoid of in-focus area altogether, or is a little bit ok? As an example case, does this one have too much "almost sharp" area? :D

f5262552.jpg

Ok, next question: is the idea that the image be generally devoid of in-focus area altogether, or is a little bit ok?

Hi, I think I do owe you and this thread some explanation. It is not my intention to place strict rules. My intention is to see what people do with "blur" to make images they like. I started out making use of blur to get some "painted abstracts" when I saw some patterns in nature that lend themselves to the treatment. Then I thought there must be many other ways to interpret the world, to recreate what we see with a camera.

You see, I have been bored with the kind of "same-old" photos after two or three years of cycling through subjects with the change in seasons. My motivation to take a camera out was high when I first wanted to learn how to better use my gear (I was an iAuto shooter and wanted to improve, and that was when I stumbled upon this forum when looking for "how-to" information online). That level of motivation continued as GAS got the better of me and I could play with different MF lenses and then different bodies. While I know I still lack skills in many areas, and really should motivate myself to learn more, such as better handling of long lenses, macro, BIF, PP etc, the range of subjects I encounter has become boring to me. I think the staleness comes from the limitation of the way I see things rather than the subjects themselves (for I get wowed by some of the pictures I see here and on Flickr).

So, I suppose I am wanting to see more examples of different ways in which one can see the world. In this instance, using blur as a means in particular on this thread.

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Well, the reason I'm asking is because I tend to take a lot of pictures consisting of mostly blur, but small regions of focus... that just seems to be what I like for pure "eye candy" purposes. But I don't want to spam the thread with stuff like that if it's not the "focus", so to speak...

e7222093.jpg

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
hc170314.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the reason I'm asking is because I tend to take a lot of pictures consisting of mostly blur, but small regions of focus... that just seems to be what I like for pure "eye candy" purposes.

Sure. I like the results you show above.

Different lenses give rise to different results and that fact alone provides lots of opportunities for exploration. Thanks!

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Different lenses give rise to different results and that fact alone provides lots of opportunities for exploration.
That's a good point, and a good reason for some disclosure in a thread like this about the lens involved... there's more explanation of the "donut" effect above here... and while on the subject of mad science, this one was also the result of sticking something in front of the lens (Rokinon 85/1.4), in this case a black paper cut-out... I wasn't excited enough with the results to ever do it again, but there you go...

g3034046.jpg

Olympist

Mu-43 Veteran
1581454630027.jpeg

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
This was not the intended shot. But even a fraction if a second earlier would have been good enough to get a sharp image. the birdy was faster than my shutter press...
P1099854_c.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom