show us your fishies

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
And also your planted tanks and corals and pond and whatever. I looked and got back to about early 2013 without finding a thread for this (and getting every single hit any time anyone mentions a fisheye lens :p) so, sorry if I missed it :D

oezrzr8l.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

QgWUGtIl.jpg

AgGH97sl.jpg

mda1fN5l.jpg

EoGRoMUl.jpg

swXFGfCl.jpg

Hsu5S9ql.jpg

WHFlG0Ul.jpg

hlv37lOl.jpg

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hey, thanks! :D

Some from today at my local fishy store -

m4kxex3l.jpg

wjeuZTRl.jpg

x6pzewxl.jpg

pAvzPuCl.jpg

FdRXpPUl.jpg

bFghGXql.jpg

zU8p1ptl.jpg

42uMTh6l.jpg

Have to say I'm really enjoying the P5 so far. Kept pushing the shutter lower and lower and eventually got down to 1/15 doing handheld 1:1 macro. Wish I had thought to ask to turn the pumps off, finally hit a wall at 1/15 with the subjects waving around too much (couple of these are borderline for that but it kind of works).

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you can do cichlids you can do salt for sure. It's a lot easier now than it was when I started out (1998) - and a while before that it used to be genuinely quite a difficult hobby to do. But definitely a big time sink (unavoidable) and money sink (can be sort of controlled :D).

Reminds me I haven't actually posted many fish yet :D

Here are some of my others -

Flame angels - have a harem of 3 of these, only 2 shown here.

ntfCK9tl.jpg

1Uy4WL8l.jpg

k56MncOl.jpg

and the fish that really got me into salt water to begin with - niger triggerfish. They are just about the plainest triggerfish there is but they're quite smart for a fish and they're beautiful to watch move around - the top and bottom fins undulate around (like a ghost knife fish if you know those from freshwater) and they can be very graceful when they're not charging around being a bully :D

CEszFtwl.jpg

zll8qQQl.jpg

Q6jKTDll.jpg

All of these are from around when I first got the PM2/60mm - should actually go back and get some better ones now I vaguely have some idea how the camera works and a P5 :D

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Vaguely know what I'm doing? Maybe not but I took some more anyhow :p.

New toy - orange torch euphyllia. Second shot is under pure actinic lights (~22k kelvin - interesting trying to get something on camera/on screen that shows both the excitation blue/uva and the emission of the orange glow :p).
xqan7xXl.jpg

bv9yLoql.jpg

Finally got a decent ish shot of missus pink skunk clownfish, first reaction to a long black shape being trained on her is to bury herself completely in the bubble tip anemones. Even using the small focus point/continuous af it's very difficult to definitively pick her out from the anemone tentacles but finally got some that are good for detail down to the scales.
ecyeL0yl.jpg

tNdg3IBl.jpg

Constant problem with shooting the niger trigger is that mine classes the camera as something to run from (as opposed to fingers which are now rated 'charge at and bite'), and shooting him means feeding him to tempt him out. They're really active feeders - love to suck detritus up into their mouth and blow it out, push stuff around, generally play with their food etc, and the end result is that autofocus will constantly try and pick focus on the cloud of white detritus around him rather than the fairly uniform colour triggerfish. Still, getting a shot of him with the light actually shining through the cheek was pretty sweet, I thought.
E7z5WoFl.jpg

g9ygFQWl.jpg

Couple of the plainest corals I own actually look really nice as macro subjects -
TCw0IX3l.jpg

EffXaD4l.jpg

pkdSTsZl.jpg

Had some of the first photos I took of this Scopas tang give me a heart attack - if you look on the flank you can see the scales reflecting light, which looks great on the flame angel shot somewhere in the post above this, but on the Scopas just looks like he has a disease. Still, hooray a shot that is actually mostly in focus etc.
StOSmNbl.jpg

These zoanthids are from my quarantine tank. Again like the actinic shot these are kind of getting beyond my skill to colour balance - the T5 light tubes on this tank are getting well past the point they should have been replaced and the white tube now looks pinkish and the purple one throws out a weird cyan/orange/reddish purple. Still it's a nice enough effect even if they do look photoshopped :D
epnl5AWl.jpg

rgHWgjul.jpg

And finally some decent close up ish shots of the Foxface rabbitfish. Similar to the triggerfish and clownfish it's taking ages to acclimatise him to the new camera, and his response to that is to turn facing the surface of the water, with his back to you, and start flicking up his spines (the top spines are venomous - about the level of a hornet sting). So many shots of foxface butt to get to this point. Key was to wait for him to interact with another fish closer to him than the camera.

ZetQHOGl.jpg

5LXo8Cgl.jpg

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Tiny fan worm -

Scolymia (Homophyllia australis) smushing together -

Some new zoanthids -

If you look really incredibly closely at the last two shots at 1:1 you can just barely see the tiny transparent baby hydroid (basically a jellyfish that stays as the jellyfish larval stage, vicious stingers, prolific colonists, near indestructible once they form a solid base) and glass anemone (basically the equivalent of tribbles, can clone themselves if even a few cells remain of the original animal) growing in amongst the zoanthids. Very glad I caught those before these had been in the big fishtank too long :D

nstelemark

Originally E.V.I.L.
Real Name
Larry
Great Idea (E-PM1 with housing & 12-50)

PC220636.jpg
PC220625.jpg
PC220622.jpg
P1010589.jpg

rhe

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lloyd M.
P1180389.JPG

African Rainforest Pavilion, Toronto Zoo. LX7

Latest threads

Top Bottom