Show us your EP5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by asaulo1, Jun 30, 2013.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Since there seems to be tricklings of the EP5 in some local retailers, lets see them!! Post your EP5 pics.... Can't say I'm not jealous of you folks...

2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Picked mine up at a camera shop in Berkeley yesterday.

Attached Files:

3. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Very nice... How about pictures of the tilt screen? Is it okay to ask which local store you were able to get it from?

4. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    Here are a couple of pictures showing the maximum range of the tilt screen, both up and down.

I think the shop name is Looking Glass on Telegraph Avenue. First time I've ever been in a camera shop -- I typically order everything online or pick up on Craigslist.

Attached Files:

5. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    And the second shot.

Attached Files:

6. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Really nice! I'm liking the black and silver much better then the all back.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    definitely black and silver for me when I get one... thanks for the pics, MarkRyan.... enjoy the camera....

8. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    Sweet camera. Look forward to seeing some shots!

Yes. Looking Glass is on Telegraph at Oregon.

9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Ooooohhhh....aaaaahhhhh!! :)

Very nice...if it had an EVF, I would have picked that up instead of my OM-D! Enjoy it, looks very portable and stealthy with the 20! :)

10. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Nice! Thanks for the pics. I'm awaiting arrival of my pre-ordered black E-P5 kit with 17/1.8 and VF-4.

I sure had a flashback to the past. I grew up in Orinda and used to go to The Looking Glass on Telegraph in the early seventies, when I was in my early twenties and developing my photo business. Haven't been to the Looking Glass since then. Interesting to hear that it's still there. Thanks for the memory jog!

11. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    You know, right down until the night before I picked up the Pen, I was debating in my head between the OMD and the EP5. With the nebulous release of the EP5 (Amazon dates keep getting pushed back, etc.), I was ready to just go OMD.

But then I read this post from DHart while I was up late at night, and it hit me -- I had to have the EP5.

The OMD is awesome, in some ways I prefer its looks to the EP5. But I got into m43 because I wanted to have fewer excuses to bring my camera with me. I rarely used my DSLR, and when I did I brought it to places where a DSLR didn't feel out of place.

When I read DHart's post, I immediately knew I had to go Pen. Not because the OMD is so big that it's like a DSLR -- not even close. But it looks like a more serious camera, something I might feel a bit self-conscious about bringing to a bar to hang out with friends. The EP5 looks like a cool toy. It's friendly. And it may seem insignificant, superficial, but I really believe that I'll bring the EP5 more places than I'd bring the OMD. And that revelation was all I needed. (Thanks DHart.)

Not to say I wouldn't be happy with the OMD. It's just the other direction from what I intended when I got into m43. (Not far, mind -- I held a friend's OMD and thought, "Wow, that's smaller than I expected.")

12. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I think you mean the EP5+VF4 is preferable to the OM-D?
    With the OM-D you are stuck with the lump. The EP5 not.
    The EP5 also has the ergonomic 2x2 dials, a flash and Wifi.

13. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    At this point, I don't have a burning urge for an EVF. But I have the option whenever I do. If I planned on using an EVF frequently, it would've been a harder decision.

14. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    But EVFs are nice. I can see you caving in! :)

15. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I agree... I tend to use the EVF more than the LCD screen, but depending on what I'm doing I really need both.

I went with the E-PL3 and, recently, the E-PL5 rather than the E-P3 because the LCD screen on the E-P3 didn't tilt and I often find the tilting screen VERY helpful. Holding the camera high over your head, shooting from the waist, and ground level shooting... these other-than-eye-level vantage points add great visual interest and view point to an image. Often, shooting from eye level is the least interesting angle of view on a subject. To me, the tilting screen AND option for EVF are very important features. The tilting EVF is a great feature as well!

So now, the E-P5 having both the tilting LCD screen plus an exceptionally good (and removable) EVF, not to mention all the other features... it's pretty much got it all in terms of versatility for varying applications.

Once my E-P5/VF4/17 lens kit arrives, my E-PL5 will probably see less use... and same goes for my E-M5! But I will keep all three for back up and additional versatility.

16. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I was never desperate for a tilting screen. But now I have it, it gets used for low-to-ground shots all the time. Correction, half the time! In portrait mode it is useless!
    8706415403_6e7859b222_n. Okie-bokie.
    I was out among the flowers yesterday, where composing and checking focus is near impossible in a bright day when you can't get down as low as the camera.
    I need either some sort of EVF on an extension lead, or a Wifi to smartphone app remote viewfinder. (or need to be fit enough to lay in the mud and squint through the looker)

17. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    can any of you guys that already received their EP5, if theres a way to select a small focus point and leave it as default?. Im not talking about scaling the magnification option, but a proper small focus point?. please let me know, yes or no. thats all.

18. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    Yes, you can. When you set the focus point with the touch screen, you also get a slider that lets you shrink/expand the focus point, and it remembers the size you last used even after powering off.

19. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    FYI, my salesman called and said that he has an EP-5 Silver body and a VF-4 evf in stock at the moment. I have passed on the EP-5 for now since I'm contemplating the XM-1 as well.... anyway, here's his contact info. and please ask for Kevin.. let him know Alfred referred you... :)

Kevin Murphy
    1440 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY 40204
    502.485.1500 | Murphy's Camera

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    It's not that uncommon for the small brick n' mortar stores to have something that the large online warehouses don't have. That was how I obtained my M. Zuiko 75mm many months ago....:wink: