Show us your banged up, dinged, scratched, well-used OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by demiian, Jan 25, 2013.

1. demiian

demiian Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    Before you say there's already a thread, "Show us you EM-5", what I'm interested here is how OM-D looks after it took some good field usage. It's shiny, it's pretty, but that also makes a lot of people worried about getting their cameras dinged and scratched. I'm one of them as well.

However, if a "vintage" OM-D looks as good as some of the old cameras, I'd feel a lot more comfortable to take its shoes off (figuratively). :)

So, if you own an OM-D that has some proud scars, please do share!

Much appreciated. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  2. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

I was going to say, "I think folks would have to photo-shop in the dings and such." I don't baby mine, but it still looks danged good ...

Is anyone doing anything to protect the back screen? That's my biggest concern for "use and abuse (a bit)."

3. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Same here. I don't baby mine at all (thought I don't throw it around against sharp things on purpose), and it still look damn good.

The store I bought it from put on screen protector on the screen for me. No scratch on it either.

4. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    The progress in sensor and in-camera processing technology is such that most digital cameras - at least those used by pros or enthusiastic amateurs - are replaced within 2-4 years. Not because they're broken or no longer make good photos, but simply because the shiny new things are even better.

Look after your lenses, and don't be afraid of a few dents in the camera :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. demiian

demiian Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    I was expecting photos like the attached.

Perhaps, OM-D hasn't been out long enough to get that kind of battle wounds? :smile:

But yeah, it'd be really nice to know that it'll age nicely. Give it a good vintage look, you know.

Attached Files:

• vv7.
      vv7.jpg
      File size:
      56.7 KB
      Views:
  6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Sorry, they are just too precious! :smile:

7. I have a tiny bit of paint loss on the sharp point on the front of the viewfinder housing (bottom right of the word "OLYMPUS"). Also the same on the metal projection above the grip and below the shutter button/dial on the front of the camera. Painted sharp edges are never going to stay perfect long term.

8. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    Mine's been muddied, dusty, wet and well used, but it's clean now.

9. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Mine's rarely taken off the pedestal. Even then, it's handled like a Faberge egg.

10. TDP

TDP Guest

11. demiian

demiian Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    Haha, maybe I should try this thread again in 5 years. By then, perhaps I'll find out myself how OM-D looks all scuffed up.

Kind of surprised that I couldn't find anyone who got fed up with OM-D paint quality and decided to go the extreme. I found some people using sand paper to give Leica a good vintage look. There has been quite a few discussion about OM-D paint peeling off, so... Anyone brave enough? hmm? :)

12. Eirik

Eirik Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Oslo, Norway
    Eirik
    I see few takers here, so I attached my most scruffy lens, the FD 135mm f2 to my E-M5.

It has had some slightly rough treatment, including being dipped in the Oslo fjord, though that hasn't left any marks. There are some scruffs on the right side where the strap lugs often brush the camera, and around the Fn2-button. Right above the OM-D branding, which makes no sense at all. The flash-shoe is also chipping off some paint, but I guess that's normal with black hot-shoes. Apart from that there is the occasional scrape and chip elsewhere on the camera and on the battery door on the HLD-6.

8420912769_c552c3fd63_b.

This is where it is most pronounced. I think it's mostly because of the strap lugs:
    8422009378_5dea4d40bb_b.

The usual wear on the hot-shoe, as well as the scruffs above the OM-D branding. I can't see why there should be scruffings there, doesn't make sense, as that's not a very "exposed" area:
    8420914129_efe64bb4cf_b.

As my E-M5 looks like this now, with 14000 exposures since I got it in mid April last year, I wonder what it will look like in five years time...

• Like Like x 4
  13. demiian

demiian Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    That looks awesome! Thanks, Eirik.

Not bad, not bad at all. Now I'm actually looking forward to my OM-D aging with me. Not that I'm gonna start throwing it around. :biggrin:

14. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    Maybe its an age thing but it reminds me of knackered film SLRs so not my cup of tea I'm afraid. Maybe the silver finish wears better?

15. linhrom

linhrom New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Hai Linh
    found this old thread, but here is mine anyway, i guess mine is silver so you guys can have a different perspective compare to Eirik's black. The paint does chip off as much as the black version i guess. I dont really mind but it doesnt wears off as good looking as the old film OM cameras that i have.

Interestingly, the silver version also have the black hot-shoe, so mine came off quite a bit. Half of the time i use my Nikon Sb-800 flash for the sort of work that i do so the hot-shoe has been used quite often. I taped off some of the electronics contacts as you can see in the photos.

Also the eyepiece comes off all the time so I taped it to the body as well. The rubber also came off from the plastic piece as well. I guess in the next year or so, it will look quite different.

16. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Too bad the bodies aren't brass, eh?

17. linhrom

linhrom New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Hai Linh
    yeah, it would be nice :D:D

though silver hot-shoe like the EPL5 would be better than the black hot shoe i guess. Why painted it black lolz

i think Olympus just con a bit confused of their colour combination. Like my silver OM-D comes with a black flash, then my silver EPL5 comes with silver flash (which is nice) but then my friend's black EPL5 comes with silver flash as well. hahha

18. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    They have done this stupid black paint on the hot shoe for years. The E3 I had looked mint when I bought it second hand as the original owner had never used the hot shoe. I must have mounted a gun on there no more than half a dozen times which was enough to scratch off all the paint on the rails. Infuriating, especially considering Olympus put so many advanced flash controls into pretty much every body they make so its not like the thing is an afterthought.

19. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

@Linhrom: love the red ring around the 45, although is that not cheating? ;)

I don't baby my E-M5 either, I think (it was an early preorder, first shipments last year), so far it's only got some dust on the eyecup. I have some scratches on the HLD-6 grip rubber but they can be "polished down" easily. I have a scratch on the LCD frame on my E-P2 but that's it really, it has a leatherette cover otherwise. All probably because I don't use the cameras often enough! I still did not manage to get rid of the stupid "what if I want to sell it later" behaviour though. To me the truth is that once I get to selling it it will be worth a fraction and would be too big a loss (sentiment wise) to justify using it to fund something else costing much more... even if it sits in a drawer.