Show us what your adapted lens looks like on your camera

svenkarma

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
mark evans
2016_0825_21361100-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ph.

Mu-43 Regular
That looks like it's been through the wars. :smile: But how is it mounted?

Cheers

Ray
this question seems to have escaped me, but I presume it is better with a late reply than never.

An ordinary Cmount adapter will do, provided that it does not have a raised outer rim . The mount of the Schneider 0,95 is quite wide. As to the appearance: no cosmetic efforts taken before the snapshot. Some spots from being outdoors, but not really combat traces.

Its cousin, the 25mm\0,95 vignettes, but they are both surprisingly sharp and contrasty.

Nowadays it is used on the far better stabilized PenF.

p.

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
Here I'm going for the Multi-Format category of the Most Roundabout Way of Making Light Reach the Sensor award, as follows:

Samyang 135mm f/2 (Nikon mount)
Nikon to four-thirds adapter
Olympus EC-14 tele converter
Olympus MMF-3 four-thirds to micro-four-thirds adapter
Olympus E-M5 mk II.

The IQ is really good, but there's a mysterious behaviour (mysterious to me, at least) about which I'd be grateful for any insight you guys may have. Without the teleconverter in the path, everything works as expected. However, adding the teleconverter seems to confuse the IBIS. These are the symptoms:

- As expected, the focal length field of the IBIS control panel isn't greyed-out, suggesting that the camera knows that it's dealing with a manual lens.
- I can hear the IBIS operating, apparently as normal.
- The IBIS appears to perform no actual discernible stabilization to the live view or recorded image, however.

I've tried a various plausible focal length settings, and combinations of the various IS settings, but the results are the same — no stabilization. The obvious solution is to replace the MMF-3 with a generic dumb adapter, but perhaps there is a cunning, neater method... any ideas?

Adapterland.jpg

Last edited:

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Here I'm going for the Multi-Format category of the Most Roundabout Way of Making Light Reach the Sensor award, as follows:

Samyang 135mm f/2 (Nikon mount)
Nikon to four-thirds adapter
Olympus EC-14 tele converter
Olympus MMF-3 four-thirds to micro-four-thirds adapter
Olympus E-M5 mk II.

The IQ is really good, but there's a mysterious behaviour (mysterious to me, at least) about which I'd be grateful for any insight you guys may have. Without the teleconverter in the path, everything works as expected. However, adding the teleconverter seems to confuse the IBIS. These are the symptoms:

- As expected, the focal length field of the IBIS control panel isn't greyed-out, suggesting that the camera knows that it's dealing with a manual lens.
- I can hear the IBIS operating, apparently as normal.
- The IBIS appears to perform no actual discernible stabilization to the live view or recorded image, however.

I've tried a various plausible focal length settings, and combinations of the various IS settings, but the results are the same — no stabilization. The obvious solution is to replace the MMF-3 with a generic dumb adapter, but perhaps there is a cunning, neater method... any ideas?

View attachment 135056
I will go out on a limb and say that I find the IBIS on long focal lengths having much less effect than on shorter ones.
You are technically trying to stabilize a 189mm lens (378mm in FF speak). When I slap a manual focus 200mm lens on my E-M1 and adjust the IBIS to the corresponding setting I notice negligible help. Is that your case or does the IBIS not work at all?

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
I will go out on a limb and say that I find the IBIS on long focal lengths having much less effect than on shorter ones.
You are technically trying to stabilize a 189mm lens (378mm in FF speak). When I slap a manual focus 200mm lens on my E-M1 and adjust the IBIS to the corresponding setting I notice negligible help. Is that your case or does the IBIS not work at all?

The latter. I agree that the effectiveness of IBIS is to some extent a function of focal length, but I've regularly used a 100-300 on this camera and have found the IBIS no less effective than the OIS of the lens. In fact, I've been using this same Samyang 135 with the (micro four-thirds) MC-14 teleconverter (via a Nikon->mu43 adapter) and the IBIS works fine. But with the (four-thirds) EC-14 teleconverter, there is no stabilization at all, even though I can hear it fizzing away happily like normal. I'd like to get it working because I think I may prefer the IQ from the EC-14 combo, but the lack of IS is a bit of a deal-breaker.

I surmise that the EC-14 is telling the camera to expect to receive focal length data from it but then failing to deliver, in which case perhaps the camera falls back on some arbitrary default value, rather than using the user-defined value. But that's just speculation.

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I surmise that the EC-14 is telling the camera to expect to receive focal length data from it but then failing to deliver, in which case perhaps the camera falls back on some arbitrary default value, rather than using the user-defined value. But that's just speculation.

or it automaticaly tries to x1.4 your value.
just try all settings which might work with 1/60(thats actual number olympus oficialy promoted for the 300mm f4 lens) - 1/30s, and make sure you´re in single shooting mode.
try 135mm(maaaaybe, but i doubt EC-14 is such an intelligent beast), 190-200mm(that should actually work), and then 380-400mm(well who knows%))

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
Another option is updating the firmware of the EC-14, the first generation of firmware had a bug where the lens wouldn't be seen by the camera which caused all sorts of weird behavior, The 1.1 firmware fixed it.

Might be related...

EdH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ed
Found this lovely little c-mount Tamron 25mm f1.9 Television Lens on eBay. Came complete with a matched wide angle adapter to make it a 12.5mm (vignettes a lot with this on!).

Can find almoost nothing about it on the internet.

29026459674_251244edf1_b.jpg
Tamron 25mm f1.9 Television Lens by Ed Herridge, on Flickr

29571549491_e688081fe3_b.jpg
Tamron 25mm f1.9 Television Lens by Ed Herridge, on Flickr

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
or it automaticaly tries to x1.4 your value.
just try all settings which might work with 1/60(thats actual number olympus oficialy promoted for the 300mm f4 lens) - 1/30s, and make sure you´re in single shooting mode.
try 135mm(maaaaybe, but i doubt EC-14 is such an intelligent beast), 190-200mm(that should actually work), and then 380-400mm(well who knows%))

Thanks for the suggestion but as I mentioned in my post I've already tried all plausible values for focal length. Not sure what you mean but "all settings which might work with 1/60".

Another option is updating the firmware of the EC-14, the first generation of firmware had a bug where the lens wouldn't be seen by the camera which caused all sorts of weird behavior, The 1.1 firmware fixed it.
Might be related...

Thanks again, but I already did that update.

Perhaps it's just Olympus' way of gently steering us towards using their own lenses. :)
I've ordered a dumb adapter, and will see how I get on with that!

Thanks for all the input!

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
Perhaps it's just Olympus' way of gently steering us towards using their own lenses. :)

I wish I could use the EC-14 with their m4/3 lenses :D

It never once felt soft when used with 4/3 glass and was hands down the best teleconverter I've ever used, the m4/3 version sadly doesn't seem as capable of it.

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
I wish I could use the EC-14 with their m4/3 lenses :D
It never once felt soft when used with 4/3 glass and was hands down the best teleconverter I've ever used, the m4/3 version sadly doesn't seem as capable of it.

From my limited experience of the EC-14 and more extensive experience of the MC-14, I'm inclined to agree with you ... that being my reason for trying the somewhat circuitous adapter path in my original post. Oddly enough, the MC-14 appears to me to play nicer with the Samyang than it does with the Olympus 40-150 f2.8 and 300 f4 lenses for which it was designed. :hmmm:

barry

Super Moderator
@alex g,
I have an Opteka 500/8 mirror lens in FT mount...

E-M1 + MMF-3 + EC-14 + Opteka does not work right either (IBIS choices are 600mm and 800mm; neither is an improvement).

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
@alex g,
I have an Opteka 500/8 mirror lens in FT mount...

E-M1 + MMF-3 + EC-14 + Opteka does not work right either (IBIS choices are 600mm and 800mm; neither is an improvement).

Aha! — at least we have signs of a consistent behaviour! Hopefully the postman will bring a package containing a dumb 4/3 to mu4/3 adaptor today, and I will report my findings! :)

Update:

As speculated, replacing the MMF-3 with a passive adaptor solves the problem — IBIS once again functions normally. :)

On the basis of a brief comparison between the MC-14 (MFT) and the EC-14 (FT) teleconverters, it appears that each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Rather than take this thread too far off topic, I'll post some details later in the Samyang 135 showcase thread.

Last edited:

Stickee

Mu-43 Regular

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
This thing is a beast to carry around. Early 1960s Asahi Pentax Tele-Takumar 400mm f5.6 (M42 mount). With the adapter, it's somewhere in the neighbourhood of 30cm long (with the built-in hood retracted), and weighs around 1,400g. Mounted to a tiny E-M5. It has a very reasonable minimum focus distance of 8 metres (27 feet). But...it's an absolute blast to use!!

29516585234_a8192ce75a_b.jpg
E-M5 with M42 Pentax 400 5.6 by LowriderS10, on Flickr

hobbes266

Mu-43 Regular

Nice! What f-stop was that at?

Latest threads

Top Bottom