Show us what your adapted lens looks like on your camera

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Big Glass!

Well, I'm glad I wasn't drawn to the E-M1X very much, because I just blew my budget for the year, with two 125mm (front element size) monsters. Besides the wallet pain, this is gonna cost me a lot of "honeydew" days, too.

I didn't plan it this way. But I have some email filters set up for certain wonderful and unusual stuff. The Sigma-XQ 500mm ƒ/4 mirror shows up on evilBay for ~$700+ now and then, which is way too much for a mirror, but one listed "for parts" showed up for $200 with a 30-day listing. I put it on my watch list, and the day before it expired, I made an offer that I was sure would be refused.

To my dismay, the offer was accepted. The evilBay photographs looked horrible (obvious camera-mounted flash), which probably meant there hadn't been much interest, and I was willing to write it off if it was too bad, but it arrived in much better shape than the photos indicated. It has some numbers engraved on it, and some scrapes and scuffs, and a considerable amount of internal dust, but hey, it's a 500/4! Canikony gets what, $10,000 for a 500/4?
P2289632.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Then out of the blue, KEH sends me a sale notice: 15% off all film lenses! So I cruise their Olympus OM selection for some tasty little tidbit, and find the legendary 350mm ƒ/2.8, which has just been marked down from $2200 to $1800, plus another 15% off. It's condition was listed as "BGN," which is KEH's second-to-lowest rating, but they have an excellent return policy, and their ratings tend to be very conservative. After quickly checking my credit card limit, I foolishly pressed "Add To Cart," just to verify that shipping on this 4kg monster was indeed free, and of course, I couldn't stop then!
P2289630.jpg

KEH doesn't have actual item photos, and "BGN" is supposed to be 75% to 80% of new quality, with possible minor glass scuffs and scratches. But KEH's "BGN" is apparently the same as eBay's "NEAR MINT" quality, as the glass looks pristine under +3 reading glasses, and there is one scuff (shown above) and some minor brassing on the aperture knurls.

So, how does a 5" mirror and a 5" refractor compare? I was prepared to say, "no way!" but the Sigma surprises. The Olympus is, of course, extremely sharp, corner-to-corner, at any aperture, but it does have considerable tangentital chromatic aberration, which the Sigma, being a mirror, is completely free of.

Here's the Sigma, checking out our goats:
_A287717.jpg

Not shabby for a mirror, if you can ignore the low contrast and distracting bokeh! It seems to be plenty sharp in the centre, but seems to get soft in the edges. (EXIF data is wrong; I forgot to change it after setting it up for a focal reducer. It should be 500/4.)

Here's the Olympus, with the Olympus OM 1.4X-A teleconverter, to yield the same field-of-view:
_A287712 copy.jpg

It seems crisper and "punchier," sure, but you can see that green band of CA where the snow meets the trees. But notice the grass sticking up out of the snow is sharp edge-to-edge. (Both shots were from a sturdy tripod.)

Next thing to do is to build a lens profile for it, so ON1 RAW will automagically correct the CA.

That is, after I cancel all my wanted-gear email notices, and do some "honeydew" time in the greenhouse… :)

Last edited:

Xx123456xX

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jake
Sigma 600/8 Reflex on GH5

8003C563-E170-4DD2-BC2B-ED5D17FD5E5E.jpeg

F4F7A610-F5CB-4337-B816-E710274FFEEB.jpeg

434C5E1F-9F74-4CCD-B1BD-19B4606539AC.jpeg

Danny.

Just me
Real Name
Danny
800 F/5.6L on the E-M1

DSC03816.jpg

4Paul

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Paul Keller
Where did you get the XYZ stage? Do they have any more? :)

I paid too much for a surplus XY linear micro-stepper, and then discovered that the stepper coils were burned out. I had been planning to connect it up with a joystick and an Arduino for precise positioning.

Now I'm thinking the old-school approach may be best…

I got it from biwecity (China) a year ago and it is still on offer on eBay under 'XYZ-axis stage linear 60x60mm . . . '

Xx123456xX

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jake
Cool! Gonna post some output?

Once I master the lens I will. Although it’s difficult to use and doesn’t produce the best results, it’s certainly extremely fun to use. While not a physical challenge to handhold, even with IBIS, the slightest vibration (e.g. heartbeat) can produce noticeable effects in both stills and videos.

Danny.

Just me
Real Name
Danny
Once I master the lens I will. Although it’s difficult to use and doesn’t produce the best results, it’s certainly extremely fun to use. While not a physical challenge to handhold, even with IBIS, the slightest vibration (e.g. heartbeat) can produce noticeable effects in both stills and videos.

One of the biggest issues I see with people using tele lenses, is that they need to learn to relax when shooting. Some people get excited and move erratically. Be conscious of ..... relax. Even say it to yourself when shooting. Sounds crazy, but try it, relax ;) Gets a lot easier in time.

Danny.

Xx123456xX

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jake
One of the biggest issues I see with people using tele lenses, is that they need to learn to relax when shooting. Some people get excited and move erratically. Be conscious of ..... relax. Even say it to yourself when shooting. Sounds crazy, but try it, relax ;) Gets a lot easier in time.

Danny.

I’m already a fairly relaxed individual, and this applies to when I’m using a camera, too. I guess I just need to put more energy into my relaxation.

In all seriousness, I think I’ve found a monopod to be the perfect solution to this issue.

Fullitorrrrrrr

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Grant
It's got nothing on some of the extreme setups you guys have, nor is it cool and vintage, but it's extremely sharp and makes me happy. Rokinon 135mm f2 on speedbooster xl
0302191326a~2.jpg

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I just need to put more energy into my relaxation.
Yea, and I'm working on a plan for spontaneity.

I think I’ve found a monopod to be the perfect solution to this issue.

I've never felt the need for a monopod before, but having recently purchased 3.1kg and 3.9kg lenses, I just ordered one.

Rollasaurus

Mu-43 Regular
Tonight, I remembered that I had an old Vivitar 85-205 3.8 lens attached to an old film body. The nice thing about this lens is that it is 3.8 all the way from 85-205. Attached it to my Lumix and shot a few test pics to see if it would be worth trying out. They turned out better than I thought they would, so I am going to take it out in the field soon and see how it does. Will post pics of my results after.
C04852C3-A9CB-4312-8170-DA9C55AB655E.jpeg
2ACC646C-2138-45C2-AC11-98A7C6D8A638.jpeg

Last edited:

BubbleChamber

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Kiley
This is the opposite of the big glasses above. I almost forgot about this guy after I switched to FX and m43. Found it in one of my old camera bags.

Nikon 10.5mm f2.8 fisheye with Viltrox reducer. It becomes a 7.5mm f2 lens with the adapter.
c3BNUz5H6WIs156y-wMrzKB831SoqDWum086t0b4JCGxxx9TQ_yn8GHJRUmEQQI5IIDoaWYLUjJERn4Q3=w2354-h1558-no.jpg

Didn't realize there was so much dust. Time for the lens pen.
FPKdLdO3e0iXqhR8fgFt7fCgD-bOxxF1yZDJNU2JjLme4_iGtDzftbhmWkDd7nkuFi3l_SE2Q6WXBRGzg=w2354-h1558-no.jpg

Here is a sample. This is about six inches away from his nose. I could have gotten closer but I was afraid he's going to lick my lens and he doesn't like me pointing this thing at him. :D
Rr5-pw65GfIuDSZTplv3jBpEuc_eHQjrvzEnXp6tMTUW4sNZbSinQf5z2tDWKM7uGzSgXbjy8KDYPfhJZ=w2078-h1560-no.jpg

PhotoDmiK

Mu-43 Regular
Lomo T-43 from Smena-8M

P5019652.JPG

kurtwist

Mu-43 Veteran
Tonight, I remembered that I had an old Vivitar 85-205 3.8 lens attached to an old film body. The nice thing about this lens is that it is 3.8 all the way from 85-205. Attached it to my Lumix and shot a few test pics to see if it would be worth trying out. They turned out better than I thought they would, so I am going to take it out in the field soon and see how it does. Will post pics of my results after. View attachment 734201 View attachment 734202
An awful lens- but I took lots of good pictures with it when it was all that I had

Brian M Miller

New to Mu-43
Helios 44-2 with Zhongyi Lens Turbo II Focal Reducer.
image1.jpeg

Latest threads

Top Bottom