show Signs

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Perhaps it's not a good idea to fast boat if you have to have 'counter-clockwise' explained. Just sayin.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'd like to know where this law is? This is the first I've ever heard of it.
Me too. I live on, and have been boating on the Great Lakes for decades and never saw the counter clockwise law. It sure would make a trip from Port Huron to Port Sanilac a lot longer.
I ran across this sign today on an inland lake (Arbutus Lake) near Traverse City. I've seen many local ordinances (speed limits / no wake zones/ outboard horsepower limits) but the counter-clockwise one is new to me.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Even if there really was a road, I have to question the need for a sign to say it ended.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Thanks. Looks like that piece of legislation went into the books in 1994. I have to chuckle when reading it:

(1) A person operating a vessel on the waters of this state in areas not marked by well defined channels, canals, rivers, or stream courses shall operate the vessels in a counter-clockwise fashion to the extent that it is reasonably possible.

Seems like another unenforceable feel-good law from a bored legislature!

Me too. I live on, and have been boating on the Great Lakes for decades and never saw the counter clockwise law. It sure would make a trip from Port Huron to Port Sanilac a lot longer.
I ran across this sign today on an inland lake (Arbutus Lake) near Traverse City. I've seen many local ordinances (speed limits / no wake zones/ outboard horsepower limits) but the counter-clockwise one is new to me.
My understanding of water travel laws is very limited, but I thought that whenever a lake is bordered by more than 1 state, the laws applied are Federal and not State. I know Utah has the US Coast Guard on 3 lakes, Bear Lake, Flaming George and Lake Powell due to this.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My understanding of water travel laws is very limited, but I thought that whenever a lake is bordered by more than 1 state, the laws applied are Federal and not State. I know Utah has the US Coast Guard on 3 lakes, Bear Lake, Flaming George and Lake Powell due to this.
Well, besides states, you can throw another country in the mix here. Michigan's claims to the Great Lakes are bordered by Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York and Canada. Last I heard, California was still trying to figure out a way to weasel in too.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The artistic version.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
It actually gets better. I went back and read it again. The way the law is written it's a misdemeanor on any inland lake, but a civil infraction on:
(a) The Great Lakes.
(b) Lake St. Clair.
(c) The St. Clair river.

As Will pointed out, how could one expect to navigate a Great Lake in a counterclockwise manner? Lake Huron, for example, has about 3,800 total miles of shoreline (including islands). It'd be cheaper to pay the $500 than to buy fuel for the extended trip!

The Coast Guard is on all Great Lakes plus Lake Saint Clair. I would think that it'd only be enforceable to the extent of the state line. As an example, if we go fishing on Lake Erie, we buy both Michigan and Ohio licenses.

hannahntilly

Mu-43 Regular
Who'd have thought that Hendrix and Handel were almost neighbours?

Olympus EM10 ; Lumix 12-32

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Free ultrasound

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew

Le Sapin - Stevenson - Bios de La Garde - St Flour de Mercoire <-> Sagne-Rouse - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D4-15 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

This sign was on a section of the Robert Louis Stevenson Trail that weaves its way through the woodlands, the Bois de La Garde between St Flour de Mercoire and Sagne-Rouse.

Day 4 of 12 - Langogne - Le Cheylard l’Evèque: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
Trail marker - Bios de La Garde - St Flour de Mercoire <-> Sagne-Rouse - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D4-16 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Trail marking on the Chemin de Stevenson was definitely creative, with all sorts of markers encountered at various times. All did their job of pointing this weary traveller in the right direction so was much appreciated.

Day 4 of 12 - Langogne - Le Cheylard l’Evèque: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom