Show: self learning.

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Will Karstens, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Will Karstens

Will Karstens Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    My learning experience has been via looking on Flickr, some side conversations (including someone who lead me here), and via a few books (some purchased, some read at book stores casually). But it all left me a little...flat. Thus, I started to want more from the moments I was capturing as I walked around. But I didn't have direction.

Comically, I was talking with a friend about 'post retired life' - what I'll do with my time while I look for a new job - and he mentioned photography and the fact someone made a MILLION dollars on a photograph of a potato.

A million dollars.

Of course, things are NEVER, ever that simple; and his perspective was a bit different.

However, it got me to thinking about Kevin Abosch's photo of a potato.

Who buys anything like that?
    What’s so special about a potato?
    ANYONE can do that, right?
    Who takes pictures of potatoes?

But after some reflection, and a few un-answered social media reach outs to Mr. Abosch, I started to think it over:

How easy is it to take a GOOD photo of a potato?
    What can you learn from taking a picture of a potato?
    What makes a good photo of a potato?
    Can it be interesting to take a picture of just a potato?
    How hard is it to take a GOOD photo of a potato?
    What makes a good photo of a potato?
    Is a potato worthy of photos?

So, now a gallery of photos of one, potato, that's purple.

Has anyone else here had a journey of self taught photography documented on line? If so, I'd love to read it.
    "Purple Potato Project"
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Edward Weston did lots of great photos of bell peppers and Nautilus shells.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    while I do like Kevin' s potato more than your images (no offence, just personal taste), in the end the price he sold that image has so little to do with the aesthetic beauty of the photograph but so much about marketing.
    I am sure Kevin Abosch has worked on his image (personal image, I mean) for a long time to create a perceived value out of his art. Just like any famous artist it was not an overnight success story. Occasionally you hear about those but they are usually being manipulated by an "agent" that will milk the perceived talent of that artist for his/her financial gain. Musicians come to mind.
    Back to the potato. The more disposal income a society has the more likely high prices for perceived value items rich people will pay. It has very little to do with the real value of the potato image, actually almost none.

Just for giggles: what is the real value of a diamond versus a nice piece of glass?... you have your answer :)
  4. catmurphy

catmurphy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    It appears your potato had an excellent adventure. But seriously, I think doing something like that could be a useful learning experience. Might have to try something like that myself.
  5. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    Maybe that potato needs to go on a "World Photography Tour". That would further improve its' image:dance4:
  6. catmurphy

catmurphy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    At best it could become well rounded.