Show Rocks, Minerals, Fossils and Gems

I finally took a few macros of a few of my rock collection specimens. Please show yours also, for non macro and larger than you can carry rocks, post them in: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/show-rock-formations.15474/
And if you know what they are, please share the info.

Iron ore (the triangles) with crystals.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
EM123807-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

Fossil of aquatic gastropods (my educated guess).

EM123957-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

PapaShane

New to Mu-43
I am unsure what this is called, but I find it all over the area.

View attachment 821163EM123847-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

Great photos! This looks like chalcedony, AKA one of many varieties of microcrystalline quartz/"siliceous ooze".

Can you share your technique/setup? I've been meaning to photograph my collection and was considering LiveComp to achieve even "scientific" lighting.

Great photos! This looks like chalcedony, AKA one of many varieties of microcrystalline quartz/"siliceous ooze".

Can you share your technique/setup? I've been meaning to photograph my collection and was considering LiveComp to achieve even "scientific" lighting.
The quartz / siliceous ooze sounds correct. I often find this in cliffs and exposed outcroppings.

I think all of the photos posted here so far were taken with the Olympus 60 mm and EM1 II, using in camera focus stacking. I have a 24" light cube that I used along with a Benro tripod. I have various lights that I used, because it seems every subject needed something different. I will try to reassemble everything and take some photos of the set up.

PapaShane

New to Mu-43
The quartz / siliceous ooze sounds correct. I often find this in cliffs and exposed outcroppings.

I think all of the photos posted here so far were taken with the Olympus 60 mm and EM1 II, using in camera focus stacking. I have a 24" light cube that I used along with a Benro tripod. I have various lights that I used, because it seems every subject needed something different. I will try to reassemble everything and take some photos of the set up.
That would be great, thank you! I really appreciate it. Maybe one day this week I'll get around to attempting a few rock portraits, something to do while working from home!

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush

An agate streak and some revealed structures on the cleavage face of a parking lot boundary rock that seemed interesting. I didn't measure the grains but I think rhyolite sized. 271 stack at 3.3x.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom