Show Rocks, Minerals, Fossils and Gems

PapaShane

New to Mu-43
I am unsure what this is called, but I find it all over the area.

View attachment 821163EM123847-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

Great photos! This looks like chalcedony, AKA one of many varieties of microcrystalline quartz/"siliceous ooze".

Can you share your technique/setup? I've been meaning to photograph my collection and was considering LiveComp to achieve even "scientific" lighting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great photos! This looks like chalcedony, AKA one of many varieties of microcrystalline quartz/"siliceous ooze".

Can you share your technique/setup? I've been meaning to photograph my collection and was considering LiveComp to achieve even "scientific" lighting.
The quartz / siliceous ooze sounds correct. I often find this in cliffs and exposed outcroppings.

I think all of the photos posted here so far were taken with the Olympus 60 mm and EM1 II, using in camera focus stacking. I have a 24" light cube that I used along with a Benro tripod. I have various lights that I used, because it seems every subject needed something different. I will try to reassemble everything and take some photos of the set up.

PapaShane

New to Mu-43
The quartz / siliceous ooze sounds correct. I often find this in cliffs and exposed outcroppings.

I think all of the photos posted here so far were taken with the Olympus 60 mm and EM1 II, using in camera focus stacking. I have a 24" light cube that I used along with a Benro tripod. I have various lights that I used, because it seems every subject needed something different. I will try to reassemble everything and take some photos of the set up.
That would be great, thank you! I really appreciate it. Maybe one day this week I'll get around to attempting a few rock portraits, something to do while working from home!

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

An agate streak and some revealed structures on the cleavage face of a parking lot boundary rock that seemed interesting. I didn't measure the grains but I think rhyolite sized. 271 stack at 3.3x.

A nicely shaped rock that I found in the sand dunes.

EM129682-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My Gx8 now has it own special niche, it is my HDMI micro scope and Oly 60mm fossil camera. Here's the story:

So after a 30 year lull, my wife and I decided to do a fossil trip to "get out". She had never been. I had 12 hours of college geology and have done a lot of Devonian and Silurian digs (gave my collection to a friend who made a fireplace cover out of them in his home when I moved). I picked a location near the town of Timber, Oregon which has a nice Keasey Formation outcrop. But it is a dangerous climb so we settled for looking through the talus. My wife was very excited to find her first fossils:).

Here are a couple of images. First is a cast and either a mold or the actual shell, second is a comparison of the different sediments we found, and third is one with a mm ruler for scale. Back in the game for sure, even ordered some cleaning tools and a mason hammer (have a pick hammer) but needed something with a wide end and lighter for my wife to use.
Have two other images to ID, not sure what they are, perhaps a brittle star and then either a tooth or something else. Will post when I know what they are.
castmold.jpg
SedComp.jpg
Size.jpg

Added a close up the Tubular snail?

Feels good to say "I'm a digger" again:)

My Gx8 now has it own special niche, it is my HDMI micro scope and Oly 60mm fossil camera. Here's the story:

So after a 30 year lull, my wife and I decided to do a fossil trip to "get out". She had never been. I had 12 hours of college geology and have done a lot of Devonian and Silurian digs (gave my collection to a friend who made a fireplace cover out of them in his home when I moved). I picked a location near the town of Timber, Oregon which has a nice Keasey Formation outcrop. But it is a dangerous climb so we settled for looking through the talus. My wife was very excited to find her first fossils:).

Here are a couple of images. First is a cast and either a mold or the actual shell, second is a comparison of the different sediments we found, and third is one with a mm ruler for scale. Back in the game for sure, even ordered some cleaning tools and a mason hammer (have a pick hammer) but needed something with a wide end and lighter for my wife to use.
Have two other images to ID, not sure what they are, perhaps a brittle star and then either a tooth or something else. Will post when I know what they are.
View attachment 839946View attachment 839947View attachment 839948

Added a close up the Tubular snail?
View attachment 839949
Feels good to say "I'm a digger" again:)
Nice finds, I’m looking forward to seeing more.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom