Show: Rock Formations

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
Looking West to the Coast - Mt Cooke - Monadnocks National Park by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

View to west towards the Indian Ocean from the peak of Mt Cooke in the Monadnocks National Park, Western Australia.

We were walking the Bibbulmun Track in this section as part of Ibu Anne’s training to complete the Oxfam Trailwalker 50km. Anne ticked off the Trailwalker in early October 2018, having completed the 50 km walk.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
Peaking through the Granite - Mt Cooke - Monadnocks National Park by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The view to west towards the Indian Ocean from the peak of Mt Cooke in the Monadnocks National Park, Western Australia.

We were walking the Bibbulmun Track in this section as part of Ibu Anne’s training to complete the Oxfam Trailwalker 50km. Anne ticked off the Trailwalker in early October 2018, having completed the 50 km walk.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
Bouldering - Mt Cooke - Monadnocks National Park by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Granite boulders on the peak of Mt Cooke in the Monadnocks National Park, Western Australia.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Another shot of the Trinnacle.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew

Man Bun - Bibbulmun Track {01}
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

One of the manny granite outcrops on the summit of Mt Cooke in the Monadnocks Conservation Park, Western Australia. Mt Cooke is the highest point on the Darling Scarp and is named after William Ernest Cooke, Western Australia's first Government Astronomer.

The long distance bushwalking (hiking) trail, the Bibbulmun Track summits Mt Cooke as it heads south to Albany.

We were walking the park as part of Ibu Anne’s training to complete the Oxfam Trailwalker 50km.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
The "Anvil Stone" on Baslow Edge in the Peak District.

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
The Pinnacle at Curbar Edge in the Peak District. I have seen photos with people stood on top of this, I'm not keen on heights so I wont be doing that myself. I will have to get another photo when it's not as windy.

Mountain_Man_79

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris
So I’ve got a real weird one for everyone...the Giant Rock of Landers California.

From thousands of years of Native American history and lore that predicted the future, to a possible spy that lived under the rock being killed by police (go figure, it is America after all), to it inspiring the “Integratron” rejuvenation machine being built down the road from it, to being a UFO magnet, I visited what some claim to be the largest free standing boulder in the world a few years back.

On the drive in, one stays to the left as you pass the “Integratron” (look it up...a story for another day) -

037A307E-B66F-4677-83CF-C2B8A69B0ECE.jpeg

It‘s definitely off the beaten path -
29D73E3D-3B23-4863-B7B7-84E86C19221B.jpeg

Keep heading down the dirt road...you won’t be able to miss it -
B911BE69-4B5A-4934-A4EE-8A9AF0B2E14B.jpeg

E9AEFAC1-5BA0-4116-8485-C7F58473311C.jpeg

2431667B-98A0-41AA-AA8D-D07F489789C0.jpeg

EDC4B646-1040-4DA2-94CD-5BB19F6BBDA1.jpeg

It‘s big. Very big. Like 7 stories tall. Here’s another view, with my car pictured for some perspective-
4C4187AF-CBDE-41F2-BDB8-A894CCFBF13D.jpeg

And another one for some perspective. When I was pulling up, there was a Prius parked nearby the rock. Sure, a Prius is pretty tiny to begin with, but still -
270845EF-28ED-498B-9988-A4758AEC40AE.jpeg

If anyone is interested in reading more -

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/giant-rock

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Rock

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/integratron

If you have plans to visit Joshua Tree National Park, try and work this odd little stop into your trip.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom