Show Roads & Tracks

coaltrain

Mu-43 Regular
Those last 2 above images are polar opposites!

I live deep in the woods and the second image is typical of around here. The first image is something I’ve never seen in person - a landscape totally void of trees.

Nice job both of you! I guess it was just coincidence that those images were posted one after another but it sure makes one look and think.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
50207410283_7a726540c2_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

De Luz, CA

Seahawk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
1597235453236.jpeg

Same location as my previous shot but facing in the other direction.

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
I wish I grabbed better pictures of my drive up and down Pikes Peak, but ya know...had to pay attention to the road so I didn’t drive off the side of a mountain.

Last edited:

Seahawk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
1597327565238.jpeg

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
50220424642_2aff66d6cc_o.jpg

50220422967_acd2a4f47e_o.jpg

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Sure was. Here's another from the same day. Altitude about 15,500 feet. I've never been able to edit this one to my liking.

View attachment 841307
Nice. I think the edit came out great (without knowing what the original looked like). Highest I’ve been is 14,433 and I was having a little trouble with my extremities. Not sure how I’d do north of 15k.

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
Sure was. Here's another from the same day. Altitude about 15,500 feet. I've never been able to edit this one to my liking.

View attachment 841307
Beautiful scenery. Those roads are construction feats par excellence.
I'd imagine a bit tricky being gravel and on 2 wheels though.

That's 10000' higher than we have here, but interestingly the mountains are still mountains.
Yours here look awesome

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
What road was that may I ask?

Hi Mike, my OSM tracklog has it as the AN-106. Google maps has it as just 106. On this day we rode from Caraz on PE-3N and turned off onto AN-106 into the magnificent Huascaran National Park at Yungay and rode as far as Yanama. We'd planned to stop a little earlier and stay at a farm that takes travellers. When we got there the farm was all locked up so we continued to Yanama and arrived in the dark (usually avoid riding in the dark). On entering the town something didn't seem right, then we realised there were no lights. They were on day 3 without electricity.

My tracklog has the ride distance that day at 59.1 miles, elapsed time at 8 hours 23 minutes and maximum altitude 15,541 feet. Moving average was 12.2 mph (not an easy ride 2-up). This day is right up there with one of the best days rides on our current RTW trip.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Beautiful scenery. Those roads are construction feats par excellence.
I'd imagine a bit tricky being gravel and on 2 wheels though.

That's 10000' higher than we have here, but interestingly the mountains are still mountains.
Yours here look awesome

Hi Richard, the Andes mountains here are just spectacular. This particular area is in the Huascaran National Park.

I hate heights and some parts of the poorly maintained, single track dirt road offer sheer drops that make me feel decidedly uneasy riding along. I always have a level of respect for the guys who build and maintain these types of road.

On this day we reached an altitude of 15,541 feet. The highest we reached in this area on the motorcycle was 4998 metres or 16,398 feet. I was disappointed to not reach the 5,000 metre mark. On foot we have so far made it to 5,100 metres or 16,732 feet twice. Once when visiting the Pastoruri glacier in Huascaran National Park, Peru and once when partly climbing up Cotopaxi volcano in Ecuador.

If we're ever able to continue with our round the world ride (currently stuck in Patagonia) I'm hoping to break our altitude record in the Himalayas where we should be able to ride at about 18,000 feet.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On this day we rode from Caraz on PE-3N and turned off onto AN-106 into the magnificent Huascaran National Park at Yungay and rode as far as Yanama.
Yes, I thought I recognized the area. Did some climbing there years ago . One trip we exited at Lago Llanganuco which you passed. I don't believe the road continued past the lagos at that time. The only access was on foot or via the road to Chavin de Huantar. This was just a few years after the earthquake and all that was left of Yungay was a couple of palm trees sticking above the mud. A friend of mine was instrumental in getting the park approved and was the first "Jefe". I notice the very distinct decrease in the snow/glacier cover. One place that we camped on a glacier is now a laguna! Here's a very old photo...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom