Show Roads & Tracks

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
This one is in the Peruvian Andes. That's me riding my motorcycle :). I set up the shot and told my wife when to press the shutter. Sometimes it works well, other times not so much :)

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
That looks freaking amazing there.
Sure was. Here's another from the same day. Altitude about 15,500 feet. I've never been able to edit this one to my liking.

Mountain_Man_79

Wu-Tang is Forever
Real Name
Chris
Sure was. Here's another from the same day. Altitude about 15,500 feet. I've never been able to edit this one to my liking.

View attachment 841307
Nice. I think the edit came out great (without knowing what the original looked like). Highest I’ve been is 14,433 and I was having a little trouble with my extremities. Not sure how I’d do north of 15k.

View attachment 841307
Beautiful scenery. Those roads are construction feats par excellence.
I'd imagine a bit tricky being gravel and on 2 wheels though.

That's 10000' higher than we have here, but interestingly the mountains are still mountains.
Yours here look awesome

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
What road was that may I ask?

Hi Mike, my OSM tracklog has it as the AN-106. Google maps has it as just 106. On this day we rode from Caraz on PE-3N and turned off onto AN-106 into the magnificent Huascaran National Park at Yungay and rode as far as Yanama. We'd planned to stop a little earlier and stay at a farm that takes travellers. When we got there the farm was all locked up so we continued to Yanama and arrived in the dark (usually avoid riding in the dark). On entering the town something didn't seem right, then we realised there were no lights. They were on day 3 without electricity.

My tracklog has the ride distance that day at 59.1 miles, elapsed time at 8 hours 23 minutes and maximum altitude 15,541 feet. Moving average was 12.2 mph (not an easy ride 2-up). This day is right up there with one of the best days rides on our current RTW trip.

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
Beautiful scenery. Those roads are construction feats par excellence.
I'd imagine a bit tricky being gravel and on 2 wheels though.

That's 10000' higher than we have here, but interestingly the mountains are still mountains.
Yours here look awesome
Hi Richard, the Andes mountains here are just spectacular. This particular area is in the Huascaran National Park.

I hate heights and some parts of the poorly maintained, single track dirt road offer sheer drops that make me feel decidedly uneasy riding along. I always have a level of respect for the guys who build and maintain these types of road.

On this day we reached an altitude of 15,541 feet. The highest we reached in this area on the motorcycle was 4998 metres or 16,398 feet. I was disappointed to not reach the 5,000 metre mark. On foot we have so far made it to 5,100 metres or 16,732 feet twice. Once when visiting the Pastoruri glacier in Huascaran National Park, Peru and once when partly climbing up Cotopaxi volcano in Ecuador.

If we're ever able to continue with our round the world ride (currently stuck in Patagonia) I'm hoping to break our altitude record in the Himalayas where we should be able to ride at about 18,000 feet.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On this day we rode from Caraz on PE-3N and turned off onto AN-106 into the magnificent Huascaran National Park at Yungay and rode as far as Yanama.
Yes, I thought I recognized the area. Did some climbing there years ago . One trip we exited at Lago Llanganuco which you passed. I don't believe the road continued past the lagos at that time. The only access was on foot or via the road to Chavin de Huantar. This was just a few years after the earthquake and all that was left of Yungay was a couple of palm trees sticking above the mud. A friend of mine was instrumental in getting the park approved and was the first "Jefe". I notice the very distinct decrease in the snow/glacier cover. One place that we camped on a glacier is now a laguna! Here's a very old photo...

CurryRyanPiscoEste.jpg

Last edited:

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew

A distant memory – Wattle Trail, Jarrahdale – JWR#00
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

A very small remnant of the log rail (or tram) tracks that would have once been used to bring the felled wood into Jarrahdale for milling.

This was part of a brief section of my ride from Jarrahdale to Wungong and return which had me sneaking out of Jarrahdale on the Wattle Trail (a walking trail).

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew

Climbing the Granite - Mt Cooke - Monadnocks National Park
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Ibu Anne and Alexandra climbing amongst the granites as we summit the mighty (not) Mt Cooke in the Monadnocks National Park, Western Australia.

We were walking the Bibbulmun Track in this section as part of Ibu Anne’s training to complete the Oxfam Trailwalker 50km. Anne ticked off the Trailwalker in early October 2018, having completed the 50 km walk.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Thought I'd add some old photos of the White Pass - Yukon Route Railway in Alaska, from our Inside Passage cruise in June 2009. Sorry, not Olympus. Shot with my old Canon Rebel XT DSLR and kit lens.

BTW, if you ever get to Skagway, I'd recommend this train ride. It was fun and very scenic. The rail parallels part of the trail that gold prospectors used to get from Skagway to the Yukon, long before the rail was built, of course. Along the way, you can still see parts of the original trail and imagine the hardships they endured trying to strike it rich.

My son watching from the last car in the train as we head up the pass.
35396912012_d2eeec7b9d_c.jpg

Looking forward from the last car in the train. It was a great viewpoint, until we got to the top and the last car became the first car, right behind the locomotive. Diesel fumes, ugh.
35396922402_b8cda4acd1_c.jpg

Heading up toward into the mountains.
35396923532_d9723f1003_c.jpg

Nearing the Canadian border at White Pass. Still some snow in June.
34723842194_3c719037db_c.jpg

Last edited:

Seahawk

Mu-43 Veteran

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom