Show: Retro Computers

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I get the whole TI-59 thing! I'm the proud owner of this marvel of technology, complete with lots of the program sticks. I don't think it will charge any more, though. I'll have to get it out and try. One day.
LOL, I was very tempted by the HP-41cv. I *** really *** liked programming and had a friend with one and decided to learn to code for it too! Each had their merits

... Love the one you with??

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
Now if only I had also kept all of those ASR-33 Teletype punched tapes from the PDP-8 when I was at school! I still had them too up until the great purge of 2000 along with my Dream-6800. Apple ][, CPM Card, Original 1984 Mac (with memory upgrade by me) all went earlier on.

AJ68

Mu-43 Regular
While I do get the whole RPN thing, I have to "fess up" that as far as programmable calculators go, I started with my brothers SR-52 and then I got a TI-59 for Xmas!
I loved that thing and actually had my brothers SR-52, a friends TI-58c and my TI-59 until maybe 20 odd years ago when the onset of a child led to a great tidy-up/purge around the house.

Can't remember if these are from the SR-52 or the TI-59
View attachment 866451
They might well have been usable in both models like the magcards for HP calculators that you could use in the HP41-series (with magcard reader), HP6X-series and HP97-series calculators...

AJ68

Mu-43 Regular
Another little look at the calculator-section of my collection... All of them working but just the one with battery in for this lineup! ?

2021-01-04 13.41.18-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

To the left there is a Commodore (cbm) 784D from 1975... In the middle a Texas Instruments SR50 slide rule calculator from 1973... both of these with the classical red LED-digits!
And, finally, to the right a Commodore Custom Green Line model GL997R calculator also from 1975! The Green Line were the first Commodore calculators with green VFD display!

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Another little look at the calculator -section of my collection... All of them working but just the one with battery in for this lineup! ?

View attachment 866760

To the left there is a Commodore (cbm) 784D from 1975... In the middle a Texas Instruments SR50 slide rule calculator from 1973... both of these with the classical red LED-digits!
And, finally, to the right a Commodore Custom Green Line model GL997R calculator also from 1975! The Green Line were the first Commodore calculators with green VFD display!
Maybe you need my 59 better than I.
What do you have in trade?

AJ68

Mu-43 Regular
And what about my MMC card? I'm thinking you owe me that old wreck of a "camera" as a fine?

Get me a HP Photosmart 945, and I'll think about it!

I will throw in a MicroSD card on top... Both this card and the SD-card are old, small and useless! ?

AJ68

Mu-43 Regular
Sadly I haven't got either the 945 or the 850... But wait... There's one more thing!
I do however have a Polaroid Z340 Zink (Zero ink) camera from 2011 new-in-box! ?
That on top of the rest will surely do it!?

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Been dazed and confused
For so long, it's not true
Wanted a woman, never bargained for you
Lotsa people talkin',
Few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below, yeah
You hurt and abuse,
Tellin' all of your lies
Run 'round, sweet baby, lord, how they hypnotize
Sweet little baby, I don't know where you been
Gonna love you, baby, here I come again
Every day I work so hard, bringin' home my hard-earned pay
Try to love you, baby, but you push me away
Don't know where you're goin',
Only know just where you've been
Sweet little baby, I want you again
Ah, ah, ah, ah
(Did you ever look up my woman)
Ah, ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah, ah
Ahh, ah, ah, ah, ah
Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ahhh, ahh
Oh, yeah, alright, alright
Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah, ah
Ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah
Oh, I don't like when you're mystifyin' me
Oh, don't leave me so confused, now
Whoa, baby
Been dazed and confused for so long, it's not true
Wanted a woman, never bargained for you
Take it easy, baby,
Let them say what they will
Tongue wag so much when I send you the bill,
Oh, yeah, alright

(Jimmy Page)

AJ68

Mu-43 Regular
Alright Alright Alright

(Matthew McConaughey - Dazed and Confused)

Last edited:

AJ68

Mu-43 Regular
After I took the picture of the three calculators I decided to fix the two with no power and get some pictures with better quality! ?

First out is the Commodore (cbm) 784D from 1975... This one already worked fine as it uses a regular 9V battery!

2021-01-06 14.51.20-1.jpg

Next up is my Commodore Custom Green Line model GL997R with the lovely green VFD display! This one only needed the proper charger and then it came back to life! The original battery from 1975 still holds a charge and works great!

2021-01-06 14.49.38-1.jpg

And finally the Texas Instruments SR50 slide rule calculator from 1973... On this one I had to rebuild the batterypack but once that was done it too worked fantastically!

2021-01-06 14.45.59-1.jpg

Old calculators, like old computers, are such a treat to restore to working order! ?

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
As a juxtaposition to the Ericsson MC-218/Psion mx5 which really had magnificent keyboards I give you the 3Com Palm III and the Compaq 2000C with no physical keyboard and a weird chiclet keyboard with round keys respectivly! The one saving grace of the Compaq 2000C is that the screen is color... but that is about it! Both work but I couldn't find the powerbricks for either for this photoshoot! Maybe later... ?

View attachment 852005

I LIKED the Palm III. The AAA batteries lasted a long time, and I could find AAA batteries any place. So for me, it was better than the later rechargeable Palm Pilots.
Years later someone asked me WHY I was using that ancient device. I told him, it keeps my private phone, email list and calendar separate from the companies laptop. Something I regreted later when I lost my personal Outlook calendar on the companies laptop, when I left. Lesson learned . . . AGAIN. Keep your personal stuff off the companies computer, you might/will lose it when you leave.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
My sister recently contacted me looking for a HP 11 or 15, for use in her lab. He has the phone simulator, but does not want to use her phone in the lab.
In today's day of computers, the old calculator is still wanted.
And my old HP22 is right next to the computer. I find it easier to use than the newer 12. But the NiCd batteries is a pain.

When I want to add up a bunch of numbers, the old 10-key adding machine/calculator with a tape still can't be beat.

AJ68

Mu-43 Regular
My sister recently contacted me looking for a HP 11 or 15, for use in her lab. He has the phone simulator, but does not want to use her phone in the lab.
In today's day of computers, the old calculator is still wanted.
And my old HP22 is right next to the computer. I find it easier to use than the newer 12. But the NiCd batteries is a pain.

When I want to add up a bunch of numbers, the old 10-key adding machine/calculator with a tape still can't be beat.

I just love my old calculators... but I also use newer stuff to not wear out the old ones! Every now and then though I take the oldies out for a spin! ?

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
50814183406_4854cebb6c_o.jpg

50813425148_0f8fa0f7fc_o.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom