Show: Retro Computers

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
As my Grand Finale this year in this thread, I give you these two software repositories:

View attachment 865674

They ought to at least be worth a skateboard!
Just noticed, what is "xyzzy" in context ? Did you used it as a dummy name for the purpose of listing the tape before printing a screenshot (I confess my memories of gwbasic are hazy, and I never used the IBM PC with a tape drive to begin with) ?
That's a legendary cheat code if there is one !

M.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Just noticed, what is "xyzzy" in context ? Did you used it as a dummy name for the purpose of listing the tape before printing a screenshot ?
That's a legendary cheat code if there is one !

M.
I used to use xyzzy a lot, in different ways.
One of those were as a password in my hacked pw.sys device driver (password input before final boot)...
And, with a little bit of practice, it's possible to type it quickly enough that even if someone was watching, they couldn't see what you were typing!

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
But, when getting the text list of programs off of an IBM cassette it's just a program name that doesn't exist on the tape. ROM BASIC search, but can't find...
Yes, I actually used the IBM BASIC that was in one of the ROM chips on the 5150 mother board...

Last edited:

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
But, when getting the text list of programs off of an IBM cassette it's just a program name that doesn't exist on the tape. ROM BASIC search, but can't find...
Yes, I actually used the IBM BASIC that was in one of the ROM chips on the 5150 mother board...
That was my guess. The ROM GWBasic was absent from my PC/XT clone, and I think that's the only difference it had with a true IBM ; I had to load GWBasic from a floppy.
M.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Also none of the clones I used had the cassette interface on the mother board.
I think the tape interface was deleted from the PX/XT (5160) onward, and to my knowledge the very first clones were already PC/XT class ; there were never true "IBM PC" (5150) clones (at least none with a tape interface).
M.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
I think the tape interface was deleted from the PX/XT (5160) onward, and to my knowledge the very first clones were already PC/XT class ; there were never true "IBM PC" (5150) clones (at least none with a tape interface).
M.
Correct. My 5160 doesn't have a DIN plug for the cassette i/f. Only the 5150. Probably the clone manufacturers had noticed that almost no-one used the bare bones PC, without floppy disk. As had Big Blue.

Aahh. The first PC. 16 kB RAM. No floppy disk.

But actually, the Cassette BASIC ROM chip was included on the mother board all the way up to the first IBM AT. If I remember correctly.

I don't have an AT to check on.
I only have 8-bit bus IBM PC's.

Maybe I should upgrade?

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
A Happy New Year to all computer aficionados!
This is like the Playboy centerfold for all of you!
cache-in-the-attic-2-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
I've heard a 5150 with all manuals can be over $10k.
And if I got the complete set of UCSD p-System to go with it? Not just DOS, and the technical manual.

DSC_0041-02.jpeg

AJ68

Mu-43 Regular
A Happy New Year to all computer aficionados!
This is like the Playboy centerfold for all of you!
View attachment 866305
Well I have parts of this... in theory!

IMGP0001_edited.jpg

Last edited:

AJ68

Mu-43 Regular
I have an 11C emulator app on my iPhone.
I have the 15C emulator. But the only way you’ll get my real HP 15C is to pry it from my cold dead fingers.....

Yeah I also have a couple of emulators on my phones to be able to cope with my RPN addiction...
I use apps for the 15C and the 41CX on both iOS and Android...

2021-01-03 11.49.53.jpg

2021-01-03 11.50.06.jpg

Any way I can scratch my RPN itch will do... But the real ones will never be replaced! ?

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
While I do get the whole RPN thing, I have to "fess up" that as far as programmable calculators go, I started with my brothers SR-52 and then I got a TI-59 for Xmas!
I loved that thing and actually had my brothers SR-52, a friends TI-58c and my TI-59 until maybe 20 odd years ago when the onset of a child led to a great tidy-up/purge around the house.

Can't remember if these are from the SR-52 or the TI-59
11030053.JPG

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
While I do get the whole RPN thing, I have to "fess up" that as far as programmable calculators go, I started with my brothers SR-52 and then I got a TI-59 for Xmas!
I loved that thing and actually had my brothers SR-52, a friends TI-58c and my TI-59 until maybe 20 odd years ago when the onset of a child led to a great tidy-up/purge around the house.
I get the whole TI-59 thing! I'm the proud owner of this marvel of technology, complete with lots of the program sticks. I don't think it will charge any more, though. I'll have to get it out and try. One day.

Latest threads

Top Bottom