Show: Retro Computers

AJ68

New to Mu-43
Just what I need... a thread about retro computers! I am using a Olympus E-PL1 that my older brother @Erich_H recently retired... As I am easily outwitted by cats and other fast moving subjects I decided to start taking some photos of my collection of retro computers and add short stories of their history and what I have done to refurbish them!

I thought I'd start off with a couple of pictures of my almost mint Apple II Plus! History and description of refurbishment will follow shortly!

p6172977_crop.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p6172977_crop-1.jpg

Enjoy! 😀

Last edited:

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
In order to participate in this thread I will have to brave the deeper recesses of my shed...

Love the twin disks - my Apple ][ also had these - and not all of them had that - so I was certainly the coolest kid in the the basement (I believe a basement is a collection of nerds).

RichDesmond

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In order to participate in this thread I will have to brave the deeper recesses of my shed...

Love the twin disks - my Apple ][ also had these - and not all of them had that - so I was certainly the coolest kid in the the basement (I believe a basement is a collection of nerds).
Love it!! Murder of crows, basement of nerds.... :)

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just what I need... a thread about retro computers! I am using a Olympus E-PL1 that my older brother @Erich_H recently retired... As I am easily outwitted by cats and other fast moving subjects I decided to start taking some photos of my collection of retro computers and short stories of their history and what I have done to refurbish them!

I thought I'd start off with a couple of pictures of my almost mint Apple II Plus! History and description of refurbishment will follow shortly!

View attachment 830374
View attachment 830375
Enjoy! 😀
Thats worth some money.

AJ68

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

All your basements are belong to us! :thumbup:

Trixter

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Leonard
Vintage computers is my primary hobby that my secondary hobby, videography, exists mostly to support. So this thread is my bread and butter.

Attached is a shot I just now took with something already set up. Hope this is what the OP meant/wanted.

My "computer" from the 70's. I can't get it to work anymore, probably a dead battery.

EM120054-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

OldRex

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark
I made one of these in 1979 with Parts, A Soldering Iron, An Article in Electronics Australia and a good friend whose father had access to CRO's. Yes, a DREAM 6800.

Spent a lot of time in the 70's coding on TRS-80, Apple II, PDP-8

Early 1980's the GF got an Apple II and then I built a CPM card for it! Super Nerdy am I.
1592738252730.png

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Vintage computers is my primary hobby that my secondary hobby, videography, exists mostly to support. So this thread is my bread and butter.

Attached is a shot I just now took with something already set up. Hope this is what the OP meant/wanted.View attachment 830979
Wow! You've got the half height disk drives! And an actual hard disk drive! What is it? 10 Megabytes? Or maybe 20MB? Respect!
inCollage_20200621_151808131-01.jpeg

Some old stuff hanging about ∆∆∆

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Erik
Wow! You've got the half height disk drives! And an actual hard disk drive! What is it? 10 Megabytes? Or maybe 20MB? Respect!View attachment 831066
Some old stuff hanging about ∆∆∆
@AJ68
DANKIE vir my eerste hou van jou! 803 items, en EEN net van jou, my eie broer. Ek moes iets verkeerds met jou opvoeding gedoen het ... 🙄 ...

EDIT: maak bier oop vir rou

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Just what I need... a thread about retro computers! I am using a Olympus E-PL1 that my older brother @Erich_H recently retired... As I am easily outwitted by cats and other fast moving subjects I decided to start taking some photos of my collection of retro computers and add short stories of their history and what I have done to refurbish them!

View attachment 830374
View attachment 830375
Enjoy! 😀
First, Welcome to the Forum!
If Erik is your brother you probably know all about it already.
Hmm, is he your older brother? If so we can commiserate about older brothers and how they are clueless! 😎
(My elder brother is so clueless so he isn't even on this forum!)
Always fun to have more people from Sweden here! Välkommen!

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Erik
First, Welcome to the Forum!
If Erik is your brother you probably know all about it already.
Hmm, is he your older brother? If so we can commiserate about older brothers and how they are clueless! 😎
(My elder brother is so clueless so he isn't even on this forum!)
Always fun to have more people from Sweden here! Välkommen!
Listen! It took the gift of a free camera, combined with bloodcurdling threats, and feeding him strawberry & whipped cream layer cake to get him to join! And whose cluelessness is up for discussion now, then?

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Listen! It took the gift of a free camera, combined with bloodcurdling threats, and feeding him strawberry & whipped cream layer cake to get him to join! And who's cluelessness is up for discussion now, then?
So obviously you are the younger brother then?
I gave my older brother my GX1 and the next time I talked to him about it all the batteries was dead and he hadn't really used it!

AJ68

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Trixter

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Leonard
Wow! You've got the half height disk drives! And an actual hard disk drive! What is it? 10 Megabytes? Or maybe 20MB?
In the picture, it's a 20MB Seagate ST-225 -- "old reliable" -- but it's only for show; it's disabled, and I'm using a 512MB Compact Flash card as the hard drive instead. (Complete card installation: NIC, SBPro, Deluxde Option Board, CGA, MDA, LIM EMS, additional memory at a000-afff so I can extend DOS past 640K, floppy controller, IDE controller, and an extender card that goes to the IBM 5161 next to it which holds some of those cards.)

I have many more; the previous picture was just my "daily driver" that I have set up all the time for imaging disks, doing programming, historical research, etc. Most of systems are organized into rolling racks so that I can move them around and gain quick access as necessary. Here's half a shelf of one of those racks (apologies for the noise in the shot, it was lit by a single bulb):
Partial rack.jpg

I've been collecting IBM PCs and compatibles (roughly 1981-1995 era) for many decades, and I help organize a vintage computer convention (that covers all vintage computing, not just PCs) in midwest USA every year. Last year we had over 1200 attendees, so there is still a sizable hobby for these.

Computer room 1978

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom