1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Show: Product Photography

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by IIGQ4U, Jun 1, 2011.

1. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    Show your product photography and post your setup pics. :)

I've only been into photography for the past couple of months, but here are some of mine to get started:

11df44a2.
    MacMini.
    P1030990-1.
    P1030983.
    P1030978.

I used Home Depot clamp lights. The white backgrounds are straight out of the camera.

You've seen some of mine, now post your product photos! Comments and critiques should be welcomed as well.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

They look great!

3. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

Oh nice topic! A little while ago I experimented with product photography with my GF1. It's something I can imagine myself doing for money sooner or later so I've started working on a little portfolio. The perfume went slightly wrong since I didn't pay attention to whether the liquid is actually level (it's a learning process afterall), and I only noticed after all the Photoshopping I had done.

And about my setup... Well I'm not sure I would call the setup I used for most of these images a setup, it's more of a cluttered mess really. ;) I was struggling to get enough light into that cardboard box. Now I have a better (but still DIY) setup with much brighter lights. But I'm still using the cardboard box for dark backgrounds (like the necklace). I spray painted the inside of that box black but I'd only bought a small bottle of spray paint and it was empty before I was done. The result is a patchy brown, but actually it turns out that this looks really nice as a background.

Sometimes I use a 3rd smaller light which I hold in my hand and just move around while taking pictures with the remote in my other hand. If I'm lazy I use a reflector instead of that 3rd light (although that's not nearly as good).

maroc.

more-beer3.

vinegar3small.

perfume2small.

necklace2.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    BTW, there is a long-standing rule to watch photos. The hands are most always at 10:10 to showcase the logo. There are exceptions of course, but if it works without covering features of the watch, try it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    ^^^I'm confused, it's a Movado, the logo is essentially the museum dial at 12:00. There is nothing obscured by the hands.

Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind.

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    It is completely a style thing that has been around for years. Google most any analog watch brand and look at the Google images, you'll see it everywhere.

7. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    I've noticed though I don't understand the supposed aesthetic difference (At least on a less than busy watch face). I wonder how long the 10:10 has been in practice? Anyway, the next time I shoot, I will set the time accordingly. :)

8. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA

The shots look good!

Since you are using continuous lighting, If you want a black background, you may want to purchase a black piece of velvet or velveteen from a fabric store and instead of pointing the lights directly onto your subject, try pointing bouncing the lights off of of a piece of white foam board to reflect onto your subject. You should (Hopefully) be able to get a completely black background straight out of the camera. Just be sure to control the spill from the rear and or sides of the light to prevent illumination of your background.

9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I do all of my company's product photography for ads, manuals, web sites, and in response to parts questions. I keep a few sheets of white and black illustration board on the table at all times. Then when I need a shot, I take out my flash, and bounce it off the ceiling or wall at full power, adjusting the aperture to get the exposure and DOF that I need. Most of the time I don't even use a tripod (but then most pics are for web use, for print at 300dpi, I'd use a tripod more often).

We try to keep our site low on bandwidth demand, so the fun stuff is creating the animated gifs. Photoshop is great for that. I'll put the drive on continuous, fire off a dozen shots or so, then look through them for the best shots to combine in the animated gif. OFF/RED/BLUE for example. Then in ANIMATIONS in PS, I'll set up the timing between the three images rotation. Easy and effective. Much smaller files than including a video of a light in operation. Nothing too glamorous, but detail oriented none the less.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and products never seem to be in-house at the same time, so I make a lot of our beauty shots by combining photos.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    This is a little bit of a tangent, but the lights we make go in vehicles. Sometimes I get to have a little fun with that. This went over very well. Again, the PS work was the fun part. Didn't take the images in this one though, just made the faces.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

Thanks. :) Yeah I don't really have a good enough cloth to get a completely black background. The oranges weren't completely black either, but I don't really mind fixing that in Photoshop. I fix a lot of things in Photoshop actually. These are two of the photos before editing. I have since learned that I can reduce my time spent photoshopping by first wiping away all the dust and cat hairs oops...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    You don't need a black cloth necessarily to get a black background. You will be fine with the backing you have. What you need is separation from the subject to allow the light to fall off.

Try ditching the light box for a few black photos, your flexibility will really be enhanced.

I will shoot something black later tonight and post a pic of the setup, hopefully you will be able to reduce your Photoshop time.

13. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

Nice, looking forward to seeing that. Btw the brown backgrounds were intentional, I wasn't trying to get them black, I was even deliberately pointing the light at the background for the necklace. ;) But I'd love to see your setup. I might even try shooting some more products as well, haven't done anything on black in a while.

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    these are all sooooo good. I'll admit that I'm not a very good photographer, but when it comes time to photograph stuff that I sell online, I'm 10x worse than normal...and I understand the importance of a good photo.

15. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    SRHEdD... another popular time setting is 8:20, which I prefer myself, simply from a design perspective... it's nicely balanced and graceful looking on a watch face, regardless of where the logo is.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hmmm... I don't have much product photography shot with a Micro Four-Thirds camera, as most were shot with the E-System DSLRs (most notably the E-3). Searching randomly through the EXIF datas though, I came across one shot with the E-P1 PEN:

WSWKBU1_web.

• Like Like x 2
  17. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    That looks like a Fisher-Price torture device! :rofl:

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    hehe... I lkike the way you think starlabs. ;)

19. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    Curta type II

<table bgcolor="#eeeeee" border="0" cellpadding="25" cellspacing="0">
    <tr>
    <td> curta_prime01. "1100" height="550" border=1></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td> curta_prime02. "1100" height="550" border=1></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td> curta_prime03. "1100" height="550" border=1></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td> curta_prime04. "1100" height="550" border=1></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td> curta_prime05. "1100" height="550" border=1></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td> curta_prime06. "1100" height="550" border=1></td>
    </tr>
    </table>

[ made today with GF1 and 20|1.7 some with adapted Corfield Retro-Lumax 35|3.5 - as background I used a white paper - daylight from left ]

• Like Like x 2
  20. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    Very nice pics of the calculator, very sharp and clean. I can't believe these were taken with the 20mm.