Show photos that were really boring out of the camera but came alive with processing.

• Thread starter Deleted member 36320
  • Start date

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I like this idea (and your posted images), but wouldn't a thread like this require a before and after image? I mean, otherwise it's pretty much an abstract photo thread (which your posted images are). Nothing wrong with that, but not really what you say is the purpose of the thread - rescuing what looked like bad shots via PP. :)

D

Deleted member 36320

I like this idea (and your posted images), but wouldn't a thread like this require a before and after image? I mean, otherwise it's pretty much an abstract photo thread (which your posted images are). Nothing wrong with that, but not really what you say is the purpose of the thread - rescuing what looked like bad shots via PP. :)
A very fair comment, but I am not prepared to post out of camera photos on Flickr. I think that a careful examination of posted images gives some idea of what the originals looked like. I think that the idea here is to show that alongside being imaginative in capturing images (see my earlier post), imaginative processing helps create an image that is in some way visually interesting and imaginative. That is why the two threads were posted in the creative corner.

Creativity, together with conveying something personal are key elements of art (according to most definitions I found). Many of us (but not all) implicitly or explicitly search for some artistic self-expression, and yet the interest in creativity (as measured by the frequency of posts and their popularity seems low, compared to the posts highlighting equipment. I am hoping that the creative corner will gather people interested in becoming better artists. I hope that there will be many posts in this area. If you have ideas, do put them in action, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I think I'll start a companion thread that's geared toward MY particular skill set: taking SOOC images and making them demonstrably WORSE.

(I kid, and I love your thread idea).

D

Deleted member 36320

Hmmm, I think I'll start a companion thread that's geared toward MY particular skill set: taking SOOC images and making them demonstrably WORSE.

(I kid, and I love your thread idea).
It is OK, I do not take myself too seriously. AND the idea is to trigger a reaction. Hating the photos is just as good as loving them. Do show yours and let us have some fun.

It is OK, I do not take myself too seriously. AND the idea is to trigger a reaction. Hating the photos is just as good as loving them. Do show yours and let us have some fun.
You're a good sport. And just to be clear - I'm poking fun at myself and my lack of post-processing skills, and in no way mocking your pics. Your "saves" are artsy and fantastic!

D

Deleted member 36320

You're a good sport. And just to be clear - I'm poking fun at myself and my lack of post-processing skills, and in no way mocking your pics. Your "saves" are artsy and fantastic!
AAHHH, postprocessing skills - it is not too difficult but it took me years and infinite number of failures to get reasonably proficient at it. It is a fun journey and each milestone calls for celebration. Each new knowledge opens up new opportunities.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
I always create a second variant of a photo in Capture One to compare to the original. Then when I re-edit then I will make a third variant, and so on. And I usually take multiple photos of a scene - slightly different composition, exposure, aperture, etc. - and I never delete unless there are obvious flaws (e.g. missed focus) and so sometimes when I go back to re-edit, I decide I like a different photo, so it's not even a third variant, but another second variant. It is a constant iterative and ongoing process, and knowing how to re-evaluate and curate you own work is an important part of that too. I look back at some of my old photos, I just cringe at the editing. That's why I don't show you guys my site and my old photos for now; it's just embarrassing.

I don't do anything crazy like replacing the sky or anything like that. After using a 7MP camera for 15 years, I still hardly even crop. It's just emphasizing and de-emphasizing certain things with saturation, clarity, curves, sharpening, maybe with layer masks, but it's still a lot of decisions to make. The RAW file you make with the camera is just the foundation, and the ways that you can build upon that, even with basic adjustment sliders, are almost infinite.

So I think to ignore postprocessing or downplay its importance is a big mistake. More time spent processing is not a knock against the worth of the photo or the photographer. If anything, the better the photo you make with the camera, the better the foundation you have, it is ever more worth to spend that extra time in post-processing to realize its full potential. Maybe it's not so much about saving a "boring" photo but finally realizing what is interesting about it.

As for which photos "came alive", it is hard to think of something. I find if anything the main problem with my past edits is trying too hard to make the photos "come alive", often too high contrast and saturation, drawing attention away from the photograph.

Maybe my Reflections of Toronto series might fit this thread. They wouldn't work as colour photos, and of course I had to rotate the photos 180 degrees as well, and further emphasize the reflections with curves. I rarely do black-and-white, but I find conversion to black-and-white is good for adding some ambiguity to photographs, make them more open to interpretation, and I think these photos are a good example. I also did a series of photos of huge, ugly piles of dirty snow in parking lots in the suburbs, photographed in a way to look like mountains, and black-and-white helps further with the illusion. Not crazy edits or anything, but still important to the photographs I think.

https://flic.kr/p/2dvasyy
https://flic.kr/p/2dvasEf
https://flic.kr/p/QQQR5H
Full series here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmAcGt8p

Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Come on guys, if you want to know how I did anything, just ask. It is not a rocket science
No, true, but legitimately I think it's easy to have the wrong instincts when it comes to PP, and, much like the way you feel right after taking photos that may have been difficult or were exciting to take, it can be hard to see the downsides with one's PP work right after finishing up a complicated or drastic edit.

I'm being mostly facetious with the thread idea, but I kind of think there might be something to it, at least in terms of older PP'd photos that I've come back to look on and realized that I went in the wrong direction. But maybe this is a conversation for a different thread, i.e. that thread!

Real Name
Neil
JPG generated by in-camera focus stack (8 images):
P4201345.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I ran the eight RAWs through DxO PureRAW, re-stacked the DNGs in PS, and edited the resulting TIFF to taste in LC Classic:
P4201345-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME-Stacked.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom