Show Photographers

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
View attachment 899449

Lots of fancy gear on the viewing platform at Brooks Falls in Katmai NP, AK. Saw a bunch of Sony Alpha and Canon gear, but no one else shooting with :mu43:.

My favorite were the guys with the ultra big white lenses who couldn't even use this platform unless they wanted only ear and nostril close-ups. There were about 5 of them crowded onto a section of walkway about 30 feet further back; unfortunately I failed to get a pic of them.

- K
Seems like a good place to carefully check there is someone slower than you in the group.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Seems like a good place to carefully check there is someone slower than you in the group.
Yeah, there were definitely a lot of large apex predators around. We saw as least 30 grizzlies from this vantage point alone.

The raised viewing platform provides a good deal of safety. We had bears walking directly under us; I can tell you what a grizzly smells like. The fact that the river is so full of salmon helps as well since most of them are very well fed. There was undeniably a hierarchy, though, and there were a couple of scrawny looking juveniles that clearly weren't getting as many fish as they would have liked. Those were the ones that made me more nervous than the half ton plus big boys.

The path from the beach where we landed to the falls was mostly unprotected, but we carried bear bells and talked (so they could hear us coming) and bear spray (in case they got too curious). There was also one park ranger whose sole job was to keep bears from getting too close to humans. His primary tool in this endeavor was a pair of wooden sticks he banged together to make noise.

The record is quite good in that there are very few bear-human encounters and fewer maulings.

Katmai is a magical place which isn't easy or cheap to get to, but it was worth the effort and cost.

- K

jederick

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yellowstone N.P.
P1033071-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
Rocky Mountain National Park. My wife shooting with the big gun. Unfortunately, this lens belonged to a National Geo photographer who generously was co-leading a free 3-day photoshoot for his friends. I think there were about 8 of us on this trip. He also led a trip into Yellowstone we went on the year before.

Scan3154.JPG

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
Here she is with her more familiar lens when she shot Canon.

P9040049-1.JPG

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
I know the photographer and I must admit, I did not take the photo. This is me at Uragh Stone Circle southeast of Killarney, Ireland. My wife took this one of me setting up my shot. This place is the place we both loved. It sits on a lake and at the end of the lake to the left of the picture is a very high and picturesque waterfall and to the right is a creek with little hills and lots of sheep. It was an honor system with a metal box at the entrance. You paid a very nominal amount, crossed a bridge and there you were. When we were there, only one other pair of humans came to look and did not stay long. My spouse loves old history and this was one of the things she did not want to miss in Ireland.

We stayed most of the time on the extreme west coast of the Dingle Peninsula in a place called Ballydavid. Our B&B was immediately on the waterfront with cliffs we walked down steps to the pier. Wonderful time.

DSC_3814.jpg

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Unlike me, my son has got a head for heights.

2107-99 EM5:2-12:45.jpg

The perspective makes it deceptive.
Between me and him there was a drop of around 100 feet.

PJ2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
21D869D6-81D6-4A7A-9707-D409527CCE18.jpeg

mpeg

4/3 Activist...
Real Name
Gordo
3.jpg

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
51392953061_a942c1d39e_o.jpg

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Aye, but he was using his smartphone. :dash2:
At least he brought a real camera with him this time.
2108-115 EPM2-14:42.jpg

Keeth101

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nice to see he has redeemed himself, Brian :biggrin: :biggrin::thumbup:

You can welcome him back to the fold and put the shame and embarrassment behind you :yahoo::yahoo: ...... until next time he gets his phone out, that is :eek-31::eek-31:

PJ2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
2D76D5C3-5C49-4D82-B20E-47771AB1D41A.jpeg

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Some guy photographing the waving kids.
DSCF0334.jpg

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
One advantage (or disadvantage?) with getting a new camera is that my old one is free for my kids to use. Here's a pic of my lad trying to be like his Dad.
Z8240492.jpg

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
Fall River Road, Rocky Mountain National Park.
P8281145-1.JPG

Latest threads

Top Bottom