Show Perseids Captures

tradesmith45

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Perseus Keep Going

All the shots from last night were useless in that I failed to notice the dew settling on the lens. When I got them on the computer the stars all look like Christmas lights do when I take my glasses off (enlarged and speckled colored orbs).
Sorry to hear that. I too am learning the hard way that its important to check everything often in the field. Like focus.

There will continue to be meteors for some more nights, just not as frequent. So keep trying.

RobWatson

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Dew shield helps a bit. The basic principle is to prevent air flow across the front element so the bigger the better.

For setups that do not benefit enough from a passive dew shield (usually large apertures) there are heater elements (bitty heaters on velcro strips) that warm the front element to raise the local (around the lens) dew point - used in conjunction with dew shield.

Hard conditions require use of a portable "hair drier" to periodically heat/clear the dew.

Dew can be a very serious impediment ...

tradesmith45

Mu-43 All-Pro
Dew Shields

Dew shield helps a bit. The basic principle is to prevent air flow across the front element so the bigger the better.

For setups that do not benefit enough from a passive dew shield (usually large apertures) there are heater elements (bitty heaters on velcro strips) that warm the front element to raise the local (around the lens) dew point - used in conjunction with dew shield.

Hard conditions require use of a portable "hair drier" to periodically heat/clear the dew.

Dew can be a very serious impediment ...
Thanks for the info.

Rob, will a simple screw on filter act as a dew shield?

When I was out on Sunday night, moderate dew formed on sleeping bag & ground cloth. But none on my filter. I also moved the camera/tripod around a bit creating air movement.

But then Eastern Oregon is pretty dry so maybe the dew we had was just lite. However patchy fog did form after sunup.

tradesmith45

Mu-43 All-Pro

RobWatson

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Rob, will a simple screw on filter act as a dew shield?
I think not really.

Astrozap

The smaller flexible ones are very handy and can fit to a large range of optics.

Just be careful not to occlude the light and create vignetting. Also works great to block stray light.

You could always rig one out of cardboard like a cereal box or some thin card stock.

The electric heaters are really quite nice. As much as I like DIY/cludge/homebrew the hand warmer route is a bit too riggy for my tastes.

tradesmith45

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks for the link & info. One of the eye piece heater straps would probably work on the M.Z 12mm that I use. I'm often backpacking or otherwise traveling light when doing this. So have to work out a light weight battery pack to run the strap.

As a nordic skier, I commonly tape a chemical hand warmer to a tube of klister to soften it so that still seems like a simple one shot solution.

But these WA lenses have such short lens hoods, a dew shield seems like a very time limited approach. Could tape a hand warmer to a short hood though.

The real trick would be getting & maintaining focus w/ something on the lens itself cause they are so small. Much better too have it on the hood.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Just caught the tail end of the Perseids last night.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3 20sec shots stacked in Sequator, PL 8-18mm: 8mm @ f/2.8
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom