Show Pen F Images

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
@ BushmanOrig
Looking at the smartphone, the photos seem ok, but on the 24-inch monitor, I see that there are problems, it seems a mix of noise, too much unsharp mask and a watercolor effect. I say this because I've never seen such an effect.
I DO NOT want to criticize the photos or the photographer :)
Have you seen the photos on a large monitor? Greetings Fabio

I did, I have the large screen iMac. Personally I never do pixel peeping, it happened to often that I saw something and when I see the prints they perfect. We also do not really know what happened in-between the camera and these images uploaded to the forum. What excited me was the poster's editing style and presentation, the wow factor is significant....

Its always a battle between technical perfection some photographers crave for and the artist creating a window into something special.....

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
I wonder if different people are seeing different versions of the image (something to do with forum resizing?) because I see it too on my computer just in the browser window, not pixel peeping at all. It's very blocky/pixelated compared to images in other posts. It's almost like small/low-resolution images displayed at a much larger size.

Stickee

Mu-43 Regular
I've been using several - but this particular one was developed by R. Cleveland Aaron, a British photographer who has done a lot of shooting with the Pen F - and whose work (including some colour and monochrome profiles that he developed specially) was (and is) featured on the Olympus Asia website.

If you're interested, this is a link to the webpage featuring some of his Pen F work and profiles -
https://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/dslr/penf/gallery/photographer.html?name=RClevelandAaron
- which impressed and inspired me quite a bit.
Thanks for the link! I read the page, but could not find any info on his colour profiles. Do you have a link to them?

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Thanks for the link! I read the page, but could not find any info on his colour profiles. Do you have a link to them?

If you scroll down to the bottom of R. Cleveland Aaron's page, you will see large thumbnails of a number of his photographs, both color and monochrome. Clicking on any one of them should open the photograph itself which will fill your browser or your screen - and in the upper left-hand corner of the photo (page) you should see two tiny Icons - the one on the right is to download the picture (if you choose), the one the left (which is a blue circle with a white 'i' in the middle of it) contains some of the photo's EXIF data: if you click on it --- it will open up a new small window showing the detailed information on a) the 'Saturation adjustment' of the photo, and b) the settings for the Higlight & Shadow Control panel. THIS is the actual information I used - to modify and create some Color and monochrome profiles of my own, but pretty much copying R. Cleveland Aaron's ones as a starting point.

Hope this helps. (Also, there are a number of other interesting photographers in the same website - whose color and monochrome work is interesting, and also contains similarly detailed Color or Shadow-Highlight settings for the Pen F.)

marcsitkin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Marc Sitkin
Wedding.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Oaxaca City Mexico

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
An old chair which doubtless has accomodated weary people after a long day on their feet - but now is being 'put out to pasture': sitting near the street in an Oregon town, in search of a new owner.

Easy_Chair_PenF_DioramaII.jpg

Taken with the Diorama II 'Art filter' on my F.

ata3001

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ron
An old chair which doubtless has accomodated weary people after a long day on their feet - but now is being 'put out to pasture': sitting near the street in an Oregon town, in search of a new owner.

View attachment 804787

Taken with the Diorama II 'Art filter' on my F.
I can't believe this old chair was actually INSIDE someones house being used until it looked like this, & decided it was finally time to put it out to pasture.

cedge

Mu-43 Regular
I can't believe this old chair was actually INSIDE someones house being used until it looked like this, & decided it was finally time to put it out to pasture.

Looks can be deceiving, it might have been the most comfortable chair to its occupant.

Of course, it might be moving back in once they have cleaned the house.......:laugh1:

Last edited:

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Off visiting

IMG_3830.JPG

marcsitkin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Marc Sitkin
Red%20Wagon-X3.jpg

Xo Xo Oaxaca Mexico

tonyturley

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A few with a Pen F 38/1.8 lens.

P2290035.JPG

P2290038.JPG

P2290041.JPG

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
A new to me Pen-F trick

I discovered an interesting quirk of the Pen-F a little while ago. It is this; C3 and C4 each have alternative settings, all of which are sticky. C3 can summon Story mode or a custom setting, selectable through the menu (gear/B/Mode Dial Function/Mode Dial C3). Similarly, C4 can summon SCN mode or a custom setting.

I had used C4 for Hi-Res to photograph some of the amazing ceilings at the Alhambra. Afterwards, not thinking too much about it, I had also started to investigate using the Hand-Held Starlight SCN mode and, of course, that is accessible only through C4. When I returned C4 from SCN to C4, the original Hi-Res settings were still there. Most curious, thought I, this might be useful with a better judged combination of settings. And then I forgot about it.

Visiting D.C. I was able to put this quirk to use. We went to see the Library of Congress. In quick progression I encountered two opportunities that fit the camera’s settings perfectly. Luckily, I managed an AHA! moment, although I would have preferred walking into the building fully aware of the possibilities.

In a dark gallery, Discovering the Early Americas

IMG_1648a.JPG

Hand-Held Starlight

IMG_1648b.JPG

Crop, sharpened, no noise reduction, none necessary

The ceiling of the Great Hall

IMG_1649a.JPG

Hi-Res, shot with the camera on its back laying flat on the floor. The screen is deployed to selfie position. Focus and shutter function via touch screen.

IMG_1649b.JPG

Crop, light sharpening

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
I forgot to use the Monochrome profile in the Pen-F so this is all PP. Adjusted for the highest dynamic range, blinkies in Highlights and blacks are just showing up.
P3070005_DxO_Web_1.jpg

X-Post from Show high contrast Monochrome thread.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
This is another picture of the three taken at the same time as the above B&W, just one or two steps difference in shooting position. Now in colour, which isn't to bad.
P3070003_DxO_Web.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
I'm sorry but I got it wrong for the B&W above, it was for the colour one I checked the blinkies, so B&W has a lot of blown blacks.
Since I downloaded the free Aurora HDR 2018 yesterday (https://www.mu-43.com/threads/free-aurora-hdr-from-amateur-photographer.107598/) I wanted to try that out somehow.
Since i didn't have any bracketed images to use I tried with one ORF file. Same file as above, using Landscape HDR 3 look in Aurora HDR exported as Tif and then cropped and exported as jpg in DxO.
Here is both a colour and B&W version.
P3070005_DxO_Web.jpg

P3070005_DxO_Web_1.jpg

Any and all comments or critique are welcomed!

Last edited:

cedge

Mu-43 Regular

Attachments

• 49635232258_ac69f43e1b_c.jpg
    49635232258_ac69f43e1b_c.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
P3080598_DxO.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom