Show Pen F Images

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
After years of shooting with different digital Pens - an E-P1 - an E-PL2 - and an E-PL5 - I switched to shooting with a handful of Panasonic micro 4/3 cameras for a variety of reasons, including a handful of different (and quite fine) Lumixes: the GX1, the GX7, and most recently the GX8 (including some detours along the way in the oh-so-cool and oh-so-damn-tiny GM1 and GM5). I still shoot occasionally with the GX1 (now converted to infra-red) and often with the GX8 (which has, hands down the best EVF of any digital mirrorless camera I have ever used or shot with). But part of me always has wanted to try out the Pen F - and this week, I finally was able to buy a lightly used one, at a reasonable price, from a fellow forum member. And---

Damn. What a great camera.

With other digital cameras, I almost always shoot in RAW, for all the obvious creative reasons. But with its strange and cool (to me, at least) front dial with all those ways to tinker with both monochrome and color profiles, I'm trying to see if the Pen F will work for me as a jpeg-only camera.

Here are my results from the first few days - three of which were taken inside the writing studio where (being a writer) I spend (and have spent) untold hours, the fourth and last out on the street---

A monochrome shot of the large-ish Pee Wee Herman doll who sits (in 'Chairy') surrounded by books:

View attachment 802591

A color photo of my Grim Reaper, who lounges atop my biggest bookcase:

View attachment 802592

Another monochrome, of the Raccoon-logo-sign of a local (southern Oregon) coffee shop:

View attachment 802593

And last but not least, a different colour rendition of Pee Wee again:

View attachment 802594

It's going to take me some time, thought and definitely a lot of practice, not to say trial and error, to nail in some shooting profiles but....this is one great camera.

I have a very similar journey as you. Currently have a GM5 and sold off the GX8 once I picked up the G9. The G9 is amazing for action/wildlife in which I use it for.

One thing I realized very recently is I'd rather not do so much PP. It's fun but I spend all day on a computer doing design related work. Lately I've been more than happy with the Jpeg and L. Monochrome D output from the G9. So much so that I programmed the front switch for L Monochrome D. The PenF looks like it would be a blast to just go between a color film mode and monochrome and just commit to JPG for more casual shooting. I tried Oly a while back and never got along with the menu's. But for casual AFS in full manual maybe I'd overlook it with the PenF. I'll wait for the prices to drop a little more...

dglawton

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Don
Yucatan's Zoëtry Paraiso de la Bonita Riviera Maya hotel lobby

Yucatan Resort-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Another color jpeg from my relatively new (to me) Pen F. Confession: the jpeg was very lightly tweaked in Lightroom but is very close to the way it came out of the camera. Second confession: I've never had a camera that I have truly liked shooting jpegs before the Pen F....I hope the trend continues :)

Ranchero_Rear_Light_PenF_Color3.jpg

e_kjellgren

Mu-43 Regular
Another color jpeg from my relatively new (to me) Pen F. Confession: the jpeg was very lightly tweaked in Lightroom but is very close to the way it came out of the camera. Second confession: I've never had a camera that I have truly liked shooting jpegs before the Pen F....I hope the trend continues :)

View attachment 803917

Nice one, what color profile do you use?

/Evert

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Nice one, what color profile do you use?

/Evert

I've been using several - but this particular one was developed by R. Cleveland Aaron, a British photographer who has done a lot of shooting with the Pen F - and whose work (including some colour and monochrome profiles that he developed specially) was (and is) featured on the Olympus Asia website.

If you're interested, this is a link to the webpage featuring some of his Pen F work and profiles -
https://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/dslr/penf/gallery/photographer.html?name=RClevelandAaron
- which impressed and inspired me quite a bit.

MorningWalk

Mu-43 Regular
I've been using several - but this particular one was developed by R. Cleveland Aaron, a British photographer who has done a lot of shooting with the Pen F - and whose work (including some colour and monochrome profiles that he developed specially) was (and is) featured on the Olympus Asia website.
Thanks for sharing this link. I didn't know R. Cleveland Aaron, his work looks great. I'll be looking more into his Pen-F profiles.

Your website is also full of excellent pictures!

ata3001

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ron
From just a few days ago
P2200070-140_m43_February 20, 2020Ron Snyder-HDR.jpg
P2200106-212_m43_February 20, 2020Ron Snyder.jpg
P2200077-154_m43_February 20, 2020Ron Snyder.jpg
P2200131-262_M43_February 20, 2020Ron Snyder.jpg

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Hi Res image taken with my EM5 MKII - edited in Workspace, final crop and prep in PS

_2220105.jpg

aukirk

Mu-43 Veteran
I am not much into landscape photography, but we spent last weekend at a mountain top ski cabin at Deep Creek Lake, Maryland and was very happy with what the Pen-F was able to produce with these two shots. (Perhaps with more practice I could have gotten the hilltop sharper in the cloud photo)

49544421783_e903f11da0_o.jpg

49571069983_b75ed04bbb_o.jpg

Acraftman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Cross Post from B&W
custom settings-11.jpg

hernan

Mu-43 Veteran
@ BushmanOrig
Looking at the smartphone, the photos seem ok, but on the 24-inch monitor, I see that there are problems, it seems a mix of noise, too much unsharp mask and a watercolor effect. I say this because I've never seen such an effect.
I DO NOT want to criticize the photos or the photographer :)
Have you seen the photos on a large monitor? Greetings Fabio

Last edited:

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
@
Looking at the smartphone, the photos seem ok, but on the 24-inch monitor, I see that there are problems, it seems a mix of noise, too much unsharp mask and a watercolor effect. I say this because I've never seen such an effect.
I DO NOT want to criticize the photos or the photographer :)
Have you seen the photos on a large monitor? Greetings Fabio

Agree...im also seeing it, its quite visible on a smartphone too.

Latest threads

Top Bottom