Show Pen F Images

John Jarosz

Mu-43 Regular
Eastern Iowa. While there are tons of abandoned barns, this one is ready to go.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter

John Jarosz

Mu-43 Regular
The Union Pacific East/West mainline is 100 yards from my house. Just east of our town there is a yard so the long freights have to slow down going thru them. I stand at a street crossing and pan the camera as the trains moves thru town to get them. There are some amazing images on the box cars.

Attachments

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
My first Pen-F picture, taken this morning through a not so clean window at work.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
Reading this forum it looks like at least 5 members have bought the PEN-F recently. :) Popular choice now for some reason.
I think it maybe is a scare that it will not be available much longer and if you want one get it now.
For me it was more that I have wanted to have a Olympus camera again (had/have a OM-1 somewhere), was looking at the EM5II but found a good price on the Pen-F so bought that.
(Ooh, I have been lusting for the Pen-F since it came out but the price was too high.)

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
I think it maybe is a scare that it will not be available much longer and if you want one get it now.
For me it was more that I have wanted to have a Olympus camera again (had/have a OM-1 somewhere), was looking at the EM5II but found a good price on the Pen-F so bought that.
(Ooh, I have been lusting for the Pen-F since it came out but the price was too high.)
Yeah, good point. I think Olympus could have both E-M5 & PEN-F lines, but hard to guess if another PEN-F will come. There was this factory move, so after E-M5 III they might make it. Could be targeted at street shooters, maybe back to tilt-screen? PEN-F II will be too expensive for me so no matter if it will come.

I just bought a used PEN-F. I accidentally handled one when in a store a few months ago, and it was on the back of my mind when GAS hit. The handling seems even better than E-M10 II, which I like a lot. The knob on the front is no issue for my small hands. Not sure how much I will use it. Waiting for the cheap half-leather case from China now.

I have GX9, but Olympus cameras have more soul in my opinion. Of course it's not a fair comparison and GX9 is superior in some things as a great photo machine.

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am picking one up on the 12th, my only issue is I only own the 60 macro and 251:8 as far as primes, anybody have a fav as far as small and fast? Guess its utube wonderland time.:daz:

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
I love the PL15 on any mft camera. Others prefer the 17/1.8 . Can't go wrong with either for the PenF imo. I can happily travel with "just" the PL15 and O45/1.8 . Add in your 25/1.8 and you're set to go.

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
This is something to consider. Anyone have tested with PL15 or other lenses? Is it a big problem and what situations?

Lately I have tried to keep Panasonic lenses on GX9, but it's not always possible and would like PL15 or P42.5 on my PEN-F. Those are great prime lenses.

"One of the advantages of the MFT system is the ability to mix lenses and bodies from Panasonic and Olympus. That said, DPReview forum member Anders W. has identified what appears to be a general problem with purple fringes when using Panasonic MFT lenses on Olympus MFT bodies."

https://alanwatsonforster.org/writing/mft-purple.html

Last edited:

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
I don't think it's an issue with later bodies or later lenses. From memory, the P20 was problematic with some Oly bodies . But I've not had any issues with the 15 on the Em5i , Em1i or PenF.

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't think it's an issue with later bodies or later lenses. From memory, the P20 was problematic with some Oly bodies . But I've not had any issues with the 15 on the Em5i , Em1i or PenF.
Thanks for the info. Actually this is not the right place to talk about it, but mods can move if necessary.

"This problem can be clearly seen in Anders’s 100% crop from an image taken with a Panasonic 20/1.7 lens on an Olympus OM-D E-M5 body."

The list has most of Panasonic lenses in it. It mentions E-M5 I, but no other bodies I think. More recent ones might not have it like you say.

I might test it at some point, but not sure what is the situation where it is most easily seen.

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks for the info. Actually this is not the right place to talk about it, but mods can move if necessary.

"This problem can be clearly seen in Anders’s 100% crop from an image taken with a Panasonic 20/1.7 lens on an Olympus OM-D E-M5 body."

The list has most of Panasonic lenses in it. It mentions E-M5 I, but no other bodies I think. More recent ones might not have it like you say.

I might test it at some point, but not sure what is the situation where it is most easily seen.
The E-M1 (first version) was the first Olympus model to apply chromatic aberration corrections. All models introduced after that date include it. So the E-M5 (original), the E-P5 and other early models never correct for it.

What is not clear is the extent to which Panasonic and Olympus have cooperated on this, since it is not part of the M43 standard, having being introduced later.

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
The E-M1 (first version) was the first Olympus model to apply chromatic aberration corrections. All models introduced after that date include it. So the E-M5 (original), the E-P5 and other early models never correct for it.

What is not clear is the extent to which Panasonic and Olympus have cooperated on this, since it is not part of the M43 standard, having being introduced later.
Okay thanks, this is great news! Although I'm using Dxo Photolab 3, does the correction apply to the RAW in-camera? Or Dxo correct it?

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
Okay thanks, this is great news! Although I'm using Dxo Photolab 3, does the correction apply to the RAW in-camera? Or Dxo correct it?
The cameras fix the aberration in the JPG files, the raw files are, correctly, truly raw.

For raw files the data from the lens about what it is, its linear distortion such as barrel distortion, its vignetting, etc is all picked up by the camera from the chip in the lens and stored in the raw file. It is up to M43 compliant programs to use that data. Many do. For example ACR in Photoshop and Lightroom apply the M43 corrections automatically, in fact you can't make them not apply the corrections. But because the chromatic error data is not included in the M43 spec that is not corrected automatically.
I assume Dxo is the same, so you would need to apply the correction. This is regardless of which camera you use.

I take JPG+RAW always, and at least 98% of the time I use the JPG, so I never see any problems. When I need to use the raw file, and if I have a lens which has significant chromatic aberrations (in my case the Oly 9-18), then I correct them using the software, it only takes a moment. (The Oly Pro 7-14 and 12-40 have negligible chromatic aberrations).

Last edited:

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My first Pen-F picture, taken this morning through a not so clean window at work.
View attachment 790301
Pen-f has been a great camera for me. I put the olympus grip on it to help with larger lenses. Easy to take off if you are shooting with a prime lens. I have been fairly harsh on my Pen-f, taking it hiking and backpacking and mostly keeping it slung over my shoulder. No dust on the sensor. The Panasonic 12-35mm f3.5-5.6 is a great match for the Pen-f for compact travel. You will have fun.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom