1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Show off your rig!

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by DanS, Jan 11, 2018.

1. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Since more video related topics have been showing up on the forum, I thought it might be fun to start a rig thread. Please share some shots and/or details of your video rig, or ask questions about other peoples rigs so that we might all learn something new or usefull.

My rig is used primary for shooting documentary and tutorial style videos in my workshop.

My rig currently consists of:
    1. Gh5
    2. Rode Rodelink wireless system (for vocals)
    3. Azden smx-30 (Its a dual shotgun and stereo mic. In the shop it gets used as a shotgun to capture non vocal audio. outside it gets used as a stereo mic to capture ambient sounds)
    4. Saramonic SR-PAX2 (pre-amp that lets me record 2 mics internally so i don't have to sync audio in post, and it give me external gain control so i can turn the pre-amps in the camera all the way down.)
    5. A custom cheese plate I made to allow various mounting options.

rig.
          60mm    f/8.0    1/25s    ISO 400

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Spgreen65

Spgreen65 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2016
    Shane
    I need to takes some pics of mine and post them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  3. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Please Do!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 16, 2017
    aa.

• Like Like x 4
  5. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 16, 2017
    ^ good enough for Jean Luc Goddard; good enough for me...

6. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
    My rig is a combination of video rig and audio rig which is built to get highest audio quality on location, so audio rig is the one I want to show off:D , but video part isn't that bad.
    Video part:
    Video rig (1 of 1).
    Camera: GH3 (gripped)
    Audio recorder: Tascam DR-70D (used for sync in post)
    Video head: Manfrotto MVH502
    External monitor: SmallHD AC7-OLED
    I do a lot of recordings in churches and dark living room, so the lens is usually PL25 1.4, and MF+peaking helps a lot. In addition, making sure focus and framing in external monitor is very important. Hard learned when I came back and loaded to NLE, and found most of the videos were out of focus....

I think I can use EM1.2 and 12-40 F2.8, if I want 4K video, but recording time limitation and battery life is the concern. GH3 w/ grip allows me more than 3hr without worrying battery and I can keep recording several takes, more than 30 min if performers want to continue.

Now audio rig is dependent on the venue, players, and instruments (because I choose different microphones depending on the room/instruments), but this rig is the most versatile one I often use.
    WP_20160729_18_04_33_Pro. This is for violin/piano duo performance, and mics are loaded from outside to inside:
    Audiotechnica AT4050 variable pattern mic in Omni directional (A-B space)
    Sennheiser MKH8020 Omni directional (A-B space)
    Sennheiser MKH8040 Cardioid (ORTF configuration)
    In addition, I usually have AKG C414XLII and/or ribbon mic (Royer R121) as spot mic, if the ensemble includes Cello, Contrabass etc.

Signals from multiple microphones are recorded independently to multi-track recorder configured in PC.
    Preamp: DAV Electronics BG2
    Audio interface: RME UFX

Sound editing is done in my home studio which has several studio monitors (Neumann KH120, Focal Trio6) with sound treatment. This is the most crucial part to get the video with highest sound quality. Most of the time, blend 70% from cardiod pair and 30% from Omnidirectional pair gives me natural sound with good separation, while incorporating room echo, if the venue has a good reverb like church. Then video sync is done in pleuraleyes.

Some microphone setups are probably overkill, but with this rig, several students were accepted to music schools such as Juliard, New England conservatory, etc as well as entry to international competitions. So I tend to keep this rig as it is, but the problem is, I need a big trunk room to carry all these, including mic stand etc.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  7. Spgreen65

Spgreen65 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2016
    Shane
    A3D929F2-A77E-4DB3-861A-B7913B31294C. 4F4042C4-937E-44F8-9030-5E4F1BF128F4. FA9C5D3C-31A0-44B2-A369-773C410661E5. Here is some of mine. GH5, Rode video Micro, Saramonic smart rig plus, not pictured is my Rode NTG1 and various lav mics, Aputure VS-2 monitor. All on Smallrig V2 cage.

• Like Like x 4
  8. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Some day I plan to get a proper recorder, but I want to time code support and that's $$$ to get rigged up.

How do you guys like your monitors? I've been looking at the 7" feelworld monitors because they have gotten good reviews, handle 4k source, and are cheap at less than $200. However I'm not sure how i feel about having another type of battery to deal with.

9. Spgreen65

Spgreen65 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2016
    Shane
    The monitor is ok. It has a good picture, could be better. I have everything to update the firmware on it, but Aputure’s software and instructions are crap.

10. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
    Tascam DR-70 doesn't have time code sync, but DR701D does have SMTPE sync. And it's 'only' $500. That's just cheap, if you look at the price tags of recorders by Nagra and Sound Devices.
    But as you know, timecode generator and wireless receiver will cost $$$. It's nice to have SMTPE codes, but I rarely use 3 cams (although often A/B) so hand crap or pleuraleyes is good (easy) enough for me.
    I like mine but I was shocked a few years ago, how ridiculous those price tags are. I tried several cheap monitors, and tablet solutions, but didn't like them. SmallHD monitors are very bright and contrasty, that's so crucial for the purpose (WYSIWYG). I believe quality and price is very different now. Let us know when you get the feelworld monitor.
    I know the feeling about the battery....I can't keep track all of them any more....

11. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Thankfully this area is getting cheaper, with the Zooom F4, Sound Devices MixPre-3 and the Tentacle Sync tech. The Tentacle Sync tech is really interesting, as it lets you use cameras that don't have actual timecode support. It's still pricey though, at a little over a $1k for a recorder and the gear needed to sync up two cameras.

All big discretionary purchases are on hold for a couple months. I'm not allowed to publicly announce why yet or my wife would kill me, but it's for a good reason!

This is the unit I was looking at.

12. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Nice mic tree there! In the past I've been somewhat terrified at the prospect of the potential phase issues lurking around such setups but, like most things, I guess it's a matter of practice. The Royer ribbons are lovely. I use an SF12 on my own piano, placed horizontally about a foot above the hammers — it gives a deep, well-balanced tone and very natural-sounding stereo (when you find the sweet-spot) which can sit well up in a mix without any of the spikiness of a more typical, unnaturally bright close-miked sound. I know that in ensemble settings like those you describe, it's more usual to see a single mono spot mic or a slightly more distant front/back pair on a piano, to get a more subtle, "in-place" stereo image, so the above technique might not be so applicable. Having said that, with the SF12 in a mid/side configuration, you can control the stereo width at mixdown without phase issues. As you say, with acoustic instruments so much of the sound depends on the room acoustics and the individual instruments anyway that a technique that works well in one situation may fail in the next. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  13. CharlieL

CharlieL Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 2, 2014
    Burkburnett Tx USA
    Charlie
    My rudimentary rig, it works for my needs. My needs being, keeping occupied and staying out of trouble and making the occasional youtube video.
    GH1, Zoom H1, Rode video-mic, Monoprice led light.
    I usually use a couple old Minolta MD mount lens, 28mm and a 50mm, sometimes with a generic wide angle adapter, sometimes with macro rings.
    Most of the time the video-mic is on a pole or placed closer to the action than the camera.
    Two scraps of aluminum and a couple of crutch handles make up my setup.
    At least it is a step up from my epl1 that only shot 720.

rig.JPG
    DMC-GF1    ---    45mm    f/4.0    1/20s    ISO 100

• Like Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.